Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Default OT Nearly got scammed ...

Wife got phone call this moning fom Virgin media and the indian caller
in a busy call centre told her her computer was runing slow and she
could speed things up...wife didn't have her laptop on and couldn't find
her glasses so she hollered out the window to me in the font garden to
come in and speak to the wummin'....so I came in and spoke to her....she
asked me if I had my computer on and what was the key to the right of
CTRL....I told her FN and she said to push the windows key to the right
of that......at that point I twigged it was a scam and hung up....she
phoned back imediately and I hung up again....I assumed it was a scam
but the scarry thing was The wife would have fell for it....what info
were they after after they took over the computer ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 11:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 11:26:44 +0000, Jimmy Stewart wrote:

Wife got phone call this moning fom Virgin media and the indian caller
in a busy call centre told her her computer was runing slow and she
could speed things up...wife didn't have her laptop on and couldn't find
her glasses so she hollered out the window to me in the font garden to
come in and speak to the wummin'....so I came in and spoke to her....she
asked me if I had my computer on and what was the key to the right of
CTRL....I told her FN and she said to push the windows key to the right
of that......at that point I twigged it was a scam and hung up....she
phoned back imediately and I hung up again....I assumed it was a scam
but the scarry thing was The wife would have fell for it....what info
were they after after they took over the computer ?

Who knows ? But they probably make a cent or two for every infected
computer they can deliver to the bot networks.

Crypto mining was in vogue a while back.

is pushing the windows key one of the steps to give them control of your
computer ? ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur
GB GB is offline

On 03/03/2021 11:40, Jimmy Stewart wrote:
[...]

Thanks goodness you didn't push it. If you had pressed the windows key
and R at the same time, they could have taken over your soul. Mind you,
most changes would be an improvement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 12:00:48 +0000, GB wrote:

[...]

oh, that is so unfair the way you treat jimbo
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 12:00, GB wrote:
[...]

come to think of it she did say push both....
http://www.zeigen.com/shortcuts/2007/08/03/run/

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 12:40, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 03/03/2021 12:00, GB wrote:
[...]

https://www.infoworld.com/article/30...-scammers.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 12:00, GB wrote:
[...]

indeed...I am a bad man ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

In article ,
Jimmy Stewart wrote:
Wife got phone call this moning fom Virgin media and the indian caller
in a busy call centre told her her computer was runing slow and she
could speed things up...wife didn't have her laptop on and couldn't find
her glasses so she hollered out the window to me in the font garden to
come in and speak to the wummin'....so I came in and spoke to her....she
asked me if I had my computer on and what was the key to the right of
CTRL....I told her FN and she said to push the windows key to the right
of that......at that point I twigged it was a scam and hung up....she
phoned back imediately and I hung up again....I assumed it was a scam
but the scarry thing was The wife would have fell for it....what info
were they after after they took over the computer ?

I had one of these calls a few months ago. When I said the key had a
cogwheel on it, there was a long pause. Then "Is it a Windows computer?",
to which I replied "No" and they hung up.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 12:00:48 +0000, GB
wrote:

snip

is pushing the windows key one of the steps to give them control of your
computer ? ...

Thanks goodness you didn't push it. If you had pressed the windows key
and R at the same time, they could have taken over your soul. Mind you,
most changes would be an improvement.

;-)

I really don't understand how / why most 'fully marbled' people could
/ would fall for any such things, unless they lived under a rock?

Unfortunately the BIL has lived under a (technical) rock and not long
after going online, fell for a scam and was tricked into moving a
large chunk of his savings into a 'safe account' (theirs of course).
Luckily he got it all back but ...

People read the papers, watch the news, follow social media where
warnings about this sort of scam are abundant but some still seem to
fall for it?

A telephone call from 'Windows Support' or 'BT Openreach' (from a
noisy call centre in India) telling me my BT broadband will be
disconnected (when I'm on cable) or that my Windows PC is compromised
(when I'm on Linux in that instance) is normally all it takes to start
the bells ringing (and not the tinnitus this time) and then I can
decide how far I want to play them and waste their time.

I did suggest to one that they 'sounded reasonably technical, why
don't you get a genuine job in IT support?' and their reply was that
there were none available.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Jimmy Stewart wrote:
[...]

This is the "8000 errors scam". AKA "Tech Support scam".

"To access Event Viewer select the keyboard shortcut
Win+R, type eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key."

The idea is, the victim sees the ton of error messages
and other useless tripe in the Event Viewer (which is
harmless stuff) and then the caller "asks for £200 to fix it".

Then they remote in and mess around.

All they want, is your £200. There never seems to be
any attempt to do more than that. You give them your
credit card number, and some tech support firm appears
on your next credit card billing statement, with a charge
for £200.

One of the larger scam outfits, got raided by the police
and shut down. But there is always another punter to start
a new one.

And don't taunt them. You might think it's clever to
swear at them or be rude, but you'll be sorry if you do.
They won't leave you alone if you do that. They can be
quite vile on the phone.

If they did get into the computer, then you should
clean C: (restore from a backup). Now, for £200 , I
can remote in and do that for you. I'm at 1-800-Ruin4PC.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 13:04, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 12:00:48 +0000, GB
wrote:

snip

[...]

It is the only situation where I get to call them black *******s without

fear of prosecution...tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 13:05, Paul wrote:
Jimmy Stewart wrote:
[...]

sound like fun....

If they did get into the computer, then you should
clean C: (restore from a backup). Now, for £200 , I
can remote in and do that for you. I'm at 1-800-Ruin4PC.

** Paul

oh well even the wife would not have been stupid enough to pay them .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 13:07:28 +0000, "Jimmy Stewart ..."
wrote:

snip

I did suggest to one that they 'sounded reasonably technical, why
don't you get a genuine job in IT support?' and their reply was that
there were none available.

It is the only situation where I get to call them black *******s without

fear of prosecution...tee hee

Oh, that must be very rewarding for you.

And did you know they aren't typically 'black' in India? (Not that you
would care just how accurate your racism was obviously).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 13:18, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 13:07:28 +0000, "Jimmy Stewart ..."
wrote:

snip

I did suggest to one that they 'sounded reasonably technical, why
don't you get a genuine job in IT support?' and their reply was that
there were none available.

It is the only situation where I get to call them black *******s without

fear of prosecution...tee hee

Oh, that must be very rewarding for you.

certainly is .....

And did you know they aren't typically 'black' in India? (Not that you
would care just how accurate your racism was obviously).

Cheers, T i m

she was an Indian black *******

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

In message , Jethro_uk
writes
[...]

Does anyone want an iPad (or several)? Almost every day I get an
automated call from Amazon telling me that my account has been debited
x99 pounds ('x' varies) as payment for an iPad - and if it wasn't me who
placed the order to press '1' to arrange for it to be cancelled.

As I could do with a new iPad, each time I choose NOT to press 1, and I
simply wait for the message to end before ringing off. I therefore have
every expectation that I will soon be receiving whole a load of iPads.
[I note that, so far, no payments have been deducted from my bank
account, and I suspect that the iPad shipments might be being held up
because of our present Brexit problems.] However, if they DO eventually
arrive, I will only really need one - so would anyone like to make me a
sensible offer for the others (either individually, or as a job lot)?
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

In message , jon writes
[...]

He has no soul to take over.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 13:21:00 +0000, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:

On 03/03/2021 13:18, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 13:07:28 +0000, "Jimmy Stewart ..."
wrote:

snip

I did suggest to one that they 'sounded reasonably technical, why
don't you get a genuine job in IT support?' and their reply was that
there were none available.

It is the only situation where I get to call them black *******s
without
fear of prosecution...tee hee

Oh, that must be very rewarding for you.

certainly is .....

And did you know they aren't typically 'black' in India? (Not that you
would care just how accurate your racism was obviously).

Cheers, T i m

she was an Indian black *******

You cannot know she was born out of wedlock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 13:04, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jimmy Stewart wrote:
[...]

I did that some time ago..got them all excited wasted half an hour of
their time before they twigged i was running Linux.

Unfortunately it also wasted half an hour of my time too.

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Jimmy Stewart wrote:
[...]

Think of it as your good deed for the day - one less vulnerable person
scammed in that time.

I have a stupid neighbour and I am always finding he has been scammed,
gets paranoid, changes all his passwords and then cant get any emåil or
wifi. That because he insists on being on BT.

When ever I get a phone call from 'BT ' 'about my internet' i tell them
I am not on BT so **** off

all women"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 13:18, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 13:07:28 +0000, "Jimmy Stewart ..."
wrote:

snip

I did suggest to one that they 'sounded reasonably technical, why
don't you get a genuine job in IT support?' and their reply was that
there were none available.

It is the only situation where I get to call them black *******s
without
fear of prosecution...tee hee

Oh, that must be very rewarding for you.

certainly is .....

And did you know they aren't typically 'black' in India? (Not that you
would care just how accurate your racism was obviously).

Cheers, T i m

she was an Indian black *******

You cannot know she was born out of wedlock.

Perhaps jimmy shagged her mother?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 13:18, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 13:07:28 +0000, "Jimmy Stewart ..."
wrote:

snip

I did suggest to one that they 'sounded reasonably technical, why
don't you get a genuine job in IT support?' and their reply was that
there were none available.

It is the only situation where I get to call them black *******s
without
fear of prosecution...tee hee

Oh, that must be very rewarding for you.

certainly is .....

And did you know they aren't typically 'black' in India? (Not that you
would care just how accurate your racism was obviously).

Cheers, T i m

she was an Indian black *******

You cannot know she was born out of wedlock.

bound to have been
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur
jon jon is offline

Jimmy Stewart wrote:
[...]

Not having a landline solves so many problems.

I need one for my modem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:
[...]

I was running RISC OS, as i am now.

Unfortunately it also wasted half an hour of my time too.

+!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:
[...]

Well full marks for rarity, I don't think everything I need is on
RISCOS, sadly...

Unfortunately it also wasted half an hour of my time too.

+!

--
People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:
[...]

Agreed; I also have a Windows10 Desktop. 2 Windows 10 laptops which can run
Virtual Acorn, a RISC OS laptop (used for society accounts) and an iPad Pro
on which I keep 'sheet' music.

All my DTP work is done on RISC OS. Laptops were originally for taking
proofs to 'customers' and, if necesssary, amending on the spot.

Unfortunately it also wasted half an hour of my time too.

+!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

"Jimmy Stewart" wrote in message
Wife got phone call this moning fom Virgin media and the indian caller in
a busy call centre told her her computer was runing slow and she could
speed things up...wife didn't have her laptop on and couldn't find her
glasses so she hollered out the window to me in the font garden to come in
and speak to the wummin'....so I came in and spoke to her....she asked me
if I had my computer on and what was the key to the right of CTRL....I
told her FN and she said to push the windows key to the right of
that......at that point I twigged it was a scam and hung up....she phoned
back imediately and I hung up again....I assumed it was a scam but the
scarry thing was The wife would have fell for it....what info were they
after after they took over the computer ?

what sort of intelligent person believes random caller that says "your
computer is running slowly"

How are they supposed to know this?

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or something?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 15:45, tim... wrote:
what sort of intelligent person believes random caller that says "your
computer is running slowly"

(i) mostly unintelligent people
(ii) or supposedly intelligent people who haven't a clue how *anything*
works *at all* (C.f. 'Art Students').

How are they supposed to know this?

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or something?

Don't need that. traffic analysis can give you a clue actually.

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

In article , tim...
wrote:

[...]

your router has reported this, of course

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or something?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 15:45, tim... wrote:
what sort of intelligent person believes random caller that says "your
computer is running slowly"

(i) mostly unintelligent people
(ii) or supposedly intelligent people who haven't a clue how *anything*
works *at all* (C.f. 'Art Students').

How are they supposed to know this?

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or something?

Don't need that. traffic analysis can give you a clue actually.

but that's a fault within their network

not with my computer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 15:45, tim... wrote:

[...]

There are a lot of unintelligent people and intelligent ones that know
little about computers.

How are they supposed to know this?

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or something?

Lots of people know that Windows reports all sorts of things back to
Microsoft and when they get a call from "Microsoft Support" they think
it's real.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 15:45, tim... wrote:

[...]

problem is fecking Virgin media is slow even when a speed test says
otherwise.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 13:04, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 12:00:48 +0000, GB
wrote:

snip

is pushing the windows key one of the steps to give them control of your
computer ? ...

Thanks goodness you didn't push it. If you had pressed the windows key
and R at the same time, they could have taken over your soul. Mind you,
most changes would be an improvement.

;-)

I really don't understand how / why most 'fully marbled' people could
/ would fall for any such things, unless they lived under a rock?

Unfortunately the BIL has lived under a (technical) rock and not long
after going online, fell for a scam and was tricked into moving a
large chunk of his savings into a 'safe account' (theirs of course).
Luckily he got it all back but ...

People read the papers, watch the news, follow social media where
warnings about this sort of scam are abundant but some still seem to
fall for it?

Because the scammers are adaptive. They know that people see the news
about online threats, so they just play up that aspect of their pretext.

If they can convince you they are your bank and they have managed to
identify a scam in progress, the background knowledge can actually help
them make the argument.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 17:17:58 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

People read the papers, watch the news, follow social media where
warnings about this sort of scam are abundant but some still seem to
fall for it?

Because the scammers are adaptive.

Of course and try to stay 'one step ahead' etc.

They know that people see the news
about online threats, so they just play up that aspect of their pretext.

But we have the 'don't give your bank / credit card details / PIN /
password to anyone who phones *you* rule that should deal with a fair
percentage of the scammers. Then you have the 'don't give anyone
(unknown / untrusted) remote access to your PC' group? Then you get
the bogus delivery type.

If they can convince you they are your bank and they have managed to
identify a scam in progress, the background knowledge can actually help
them make the argument.

Sure, but so easily thwarted by hanging up and *phoning them* on a
number you have or find (bill / Internet), not that they give you, on
another line if you distrust the dialtone.

But hey, given the amount of bank details I've seen blowing about from
fly-tipped household waste I'm not sure you would need to actually
bother the account holders at all! (And yet another example of how
some people seem ignorant of the advice and so risks (identity fraud
etc))? ;-(

Straight cut shredders anyone?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Jimmy Stewart wrote

Wife got phone call this moning fom Virgin media and the indian caller in
a busy call centre told her her computer was runing slow and she could
speed things up...wife didn't have her laptop on and couldn't find her
glasses so she hollered out the window to me in the font garden

Didnt realise you baptised little kids in your garden. Funky...

to come in and speak to the wummin'....so I came in and spoke to her....
she asked me if I had my computer on and what was the key to the right of
CTRL....I told her FN and she said to push the windows key to the right of
that......at that point I twigged it was a scam and hung up....she phoned
back imediately and I hung up again....I assumed it was a scam but the
scarry thing was The wife would have fell for it....

Time to trade her in on a new bimbo.

what info were they after after they took over the computer ?

Whatever is on it thats useful to them like you banking details and
passwords etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

[...]

Nope, just a simple way of working out what sort of computer you have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not convince that hairy legged cross dressing haggis
gorgers actually have soul. Black slaves never did have.

Dogs and cats too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

On 03/03/2021 19:18, Rod Speed wrote:
Jimmy Stewart wrote

[...]

but I have to put in my banking stuff manually...???
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Jimmy Stewart wrote:
[...]

Wouldnt work for him, he cant work out how to answer an incoming call on a
mobile.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Jimmy Stewart wrote:
[...]

But you dont have to have a phone plugged into it or even a phone service
over it.