Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV Production sound

Having not got useful answers from the TV group, I'm going to try asking
this here

I'm currently watching reruns of Zen on Drama

and the sound is decidedly off

There's no sync between lip movements and the actual spoken dialogue

Sometimes it's off by a small amount and other times it's completely wrong.

And there's lots of panning away from peoples faces whilst they are
continuing to talk.

It's like they didn't record the sound from the original action, just got
the actors to mumble a bit of the dialogue and then dubbed it all in
afterwards

It's a multi-country production so they may have decided that if the are
going to have to dub in multiple languages, they might just as well dub the
English in as well

Is this a known form of TV production, sometimes used, frequently used, or
never used?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 08:53, tim... wrote:
It's like they didn't record the sound from the original action, just got
the actors to mumble a bit of the dialogue and then dubbed it all in
afterwards

That is fairly common

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 08:53, tim... wrote:
[...]

"Digital" factors can also take video and audio out of synch, all
depending on the overall pathways that the streams have taken. As a
simple example, recordings on my Humax PVR sometimes show this effect,
but rebooting fixes it.

Panning away is obviously a different thing. And redubbing is not at all
uncommon, for example to eliminate "noises off".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
[...]

Very unusual to totally post sync dialogue on a TV prog made originally in
English. Although common at one time on feature films.

Only time it's usually done is if shooting in a very noisy place where
location recording of the dialogue impossible. Or to fix a fault found
subsequently. It's rather an expensive thing to do properly.

I'm also intending watching it. I'll have a better idea after that.

--
Is the hardness of the butter proportional to the softness of the bread?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 27/02/2021 08:53, tim... wrote:
[...]

it's not out of sync in time

the lip movements are plain wrong

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not strictly related to the original question, but I have always noticed a slightly strange thing which is not a technical problem but more of a deliberate thing I suspect

When watching a drama you will hear the sound from the next scene while the current scene is still visible on the screen - for maybe 1.5 seconds so if there are two people in a living room talking and the scene ends you then hear a train coming into a station and then a second or so later it switches the picture to show the train arriving in the station.

It happens so often I reckon it's deliberate but I wonder why they do it and if it has a name so I can look it up online!?

Also I've heard of a thing I think is known as "reverse noddies" where when a reporter is interviewing someone, perhaps in the street, you'll occasionally see the camera switch to the interviewer nodding as if to say, yes, I see what you mean, carry on but I suspect the phrase reverse noddies refers to the fact that they only have one camera so have to film these bits afterwards and then paste them in - which might explain why they sometimes look a bit insincere and don't QUITE match what was being said.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Murmansk wrote:
It happens so often I reckon it's deliberate but I wonder why they do it
and if it has a name so I can look it up online!?

Lead sound. On a cut.

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain Lastname" wrote in message
I think some of the Welsh/English dramas are filmed twice, scene by scene
for each language.

That's what they did for A Mind to Kill / Yr Heliwr [The Hunter], with
Philip Madoc. I imagine that most of the time (and therefore the cost) of TV
production comes from setting up the scenes. Filming what amounts to a few
(*) extra takes (albeit in a different language) is probably a small
incremental cost.

(*) To allow for fluffing the lines: good actors might well nail it on the
first take, especially after they've already acted it in the other language,
and two takes (English and Welsh) might be fewer than less professional
actors might require in just English.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
And there's lots of panning away from peoples faces whilst they are
continuing to talk.

The worst drama I ever saw for the "panning away" technique, used
excessively and "oh bugger, here it comes yet again" was This Life (1996).
In a scene with two actors, it was common for the camera to pan from person
A to person B, while person A was still speaking. Fine: it lets you see B's
reaction to what A is saying. Except (and this is the really maddening
thing) the camera would often get half way from A to B, then pan back to A
while it was showing neither of them. Or else there would be a jump cut from
the panning-from-A-to-B shot to a shot of A again. Both of these fads gave
the impression that the cameraman and/or editor didn't know what they were
doing - it was panning for effect, drawing attention to itself, rather than
for a dramatic purpose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'm also intending watching it. I'll have a better idea after that.

I watched the first few minutes of Ep1 - recorded off air on a Humax. The
shooting sequence. Perfectly normal radio mics. And in sync.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'm also intending watching it. I'll have a better idea after that.

I watched the first few minutes of Ep1 - recorded off air on a Humax. The
shooting sequence. Perfectly normal radio mics. And in sync.

However

it was E2 where I noticed it

I had deleted E1 by then

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'm also intending watching it. I'll have a better idea after that.

I watched the first few minutes of Ep1 - recorded off air on a Humax. The
shooting sequence. Perfectly normal radio mics. And in sync.

However

it was E2 where I noticed it

I had deleted E1 by then

Very unlikely they had a major change in production technique between eps.
Most likely a fault in the transmission, or your end.

Did you watch it live, recorded, or catch up?

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'm also intending watching it. I'll have a better idea after that.

I watched the first few minutes of Ep1 - recorded off air on a Humax.
The
shooting sequence. Perfectly normal radio mics. And in sync.

However

it was E2 where I noticed it

I had deleted E1 by then

Very unlikely they had a major change in production technique between eps.
Most likely a fault in the transmission, or your end.

Did you watch it live, recorded, or catch up?

on my PVR

but FTAOD, it's simply wasn't out of sync.

It was completely different to the lip movements

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â* Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'm also intending watching it. I'll have a better idea after that.

I watched the first few minutes of Ep1 - recorded off air on a
Humax. The
shooting sequence. Perfectly normal radio mics. And in sync.

However

it was E2 where I noticed it

I had deleted E1 by then

Very unlikely they had a major change in production technique between
eps.
Most likely a fault in the transmission, or your end.

Did you watch it live, recorded, or catch up?

on my PVR

but FTAOD, it's simply wasn't out of sync.

It was completely different to the lip movements

FTAOD - I take it that "completely" is an exaggeration?

I've seen what looks like poor re-dubbing. The only thing I've
discovered is that you can make it even worse by using higher video
compression.

Well, less i-frames and bigger GOPs. This could make sense, as the
reconstructed frames following an i-frame must be biassed by the decode
being a composite of several - time-separated - frames. This implies
that what you see will not be audibly or visually in sync.

Err - I think.

PA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'm also intending watching it. I'll have a better idea after that.

I watched the first few minutes of Ep1 - recorded off air on a Humax.
The
shooting sequence. Perfectly normal radio mics. And in sync.

However

it was E2 where I noticed it

I had deleted E1 by then

Very unlikely they had a major change in production technique between eps.
Most likely a fault in the transmission, or your end.

Did you watch it live, recorded, or catch up?

on my PVR

but FTAOD, it's simply wasn't out of sync.

It was completely different to the lip movements

I'll look at it later. Just to confirm, the entire prog was like this or
just some of it?

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'm also intending watching it. I'll have a better idea after that.

I watched the first few minutes of Ep1 - recorded off air on a
Humax.
The
shooting sequence. Perfectly normal radio mics. And in sync.

However

it was E2 where I noticed it

I had deleted E1 by then

Very unlikely they had a major change in production technique between
eps.
Most likely a fault in the transmission, or your end.

Did you watch it live, recorded, or catch up?

on my PVR

but FTAOD, it's simply wasn't out of sync.

It was completely different to the lip movements

I'll look at it later. Just to confirm, the entire prog was like this or
just some of it?

Enough of it for you not to have to watch very much to spot it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 February 2021 at 08:53:11 UTC, tim... wrote:
[...]

Trying to decide whether that is more, or less annoying than when a character walks away from the rest of the cast, speaking, and the people several steps behind hear everything perfectly (rather, they act as if they did, which is what they are being to do).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'm also intending watching it. I'll have a better idea after that.

I watched the first few minutes of Ep1 - recorded off air on a
Humax.
The
shooting sequence. Perfectly normal radio mics. And in sync.

However

it was E2 where I noticed it

I had deleted E1 by then

Very unlikely they had a major change in production technique between
eps.
Most likely a fault in the transmission, or your end.

Did you watch it live, recorded, or catch up?

on my PVR

but FTAOD, it's simply wasn't out of sync.

It was completely different to the lip movements

I'll look at it later. Just to confirm, the entire prog was like this or
just some of it?

Right

Ep3

about 41 minutes in. Zen is in the big white hall taking with someone

Sometimes the dialogue is in sync with the lip movements

sometimes they are out of synch, sometimes early and sometimes late