Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sound proofing / sound isolation

Found an interesting Youtube video on practical wall construction. Anyone here have experience with this sort of thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjhrXFo0Kw
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 10:05:32 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

Found an interesting Youtube video on practical wall construction. Anyone here have experience with this sort of thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjhrXFo0Kw

instead of 2 layers of drywall. use mdf for the first (inner) layer
- much higher density. resiliant channel or accoustic glue are both
good. Isolating the second wall from both floor and ceiling helps.
Mount the wall to the floor using a "dri-core"base - doen't hurt to
use it between the top sill and the ceiling joists above either.

The difference between rock-wool and fiberglass IS significant.

The two important things are MASS and ISOLATION. - and of course
isolation includes ELIMINATING gaps.

As far as the heat ducts are concerned just insulate well around them
and make use of "baffling" - don't have as traight run from one room
to another make sure the sound needs to go around a few corners and
make sure to "damp" any flat sided ducts. to absorb as much sound
vibration as possible. A large thin rectangular duct can act as an
AMPLIFIER of sound by re-reflecting it. Damped, the sound does not
bounce.

Even installing a second stud system of 2X2 or 2X3 staggered between
the 2X4 studs fastened to the same sills, spaced out 1/2 inch so the
drywall is fastened to different studs on each side makes a big
difference without taking up as much space. - and using accoustic
cement to fasten the drywall instead of screws or nails also helps
decouple the sound. If the joists run between the 2 spaces instead of
parallel as shown in the video, install baffles between the joists -
tight fitting MDF or plywood covered with a foam-board works good -
even just 2 inch foam board is a lot better than nothing - seal the
joints between the baffle and the joists with spray foam or a good
relilant caulk. For the ceiling, building a second framework,
attached to the studs of the INNER wall and not to the joists above is
also a good idea. a few hanger wires mid-span attached to the joists
above don't degradethings very much if required to prevent ceiling
sag. The ceiling "joists"only need to support the drywall and any
insulation - and can be "staggered" between the existing joists to
reduce the loss of room height..

If using a complete second wall system the second ceiling framing can
be connectes only to the inner wall, and the inner wall can be
completely "decoupled" from the ceiling. That's how a friend's home
recording studio was done. - with the floor sitting on 2 inch
"styrofoam SM) , and the walls built on top of that, withthe ceiling
attached to the inner walls only, and the gap filled with blown
rock-wool. A bomb could go off in the next room and you wouldn't hear
it (double doors too,of course)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Davej posted for all of us...

Found an interesting Youtube video on practical wall construction. Anyone here have experience with this sort of thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjhrXFo0Kw

Why ask a question if you do not follow up with your results of help?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snnnniiiiippppp]

ah, for the days of lead foil...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"danny burstein" wrote in message
[snnnniiiiippppp]

ah, for the days of lead foil...

Makes more sense to use block walls and concrete floors, even for the floor
above the basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 07:27:58 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

ah, for the days of lead foil...

Makes more sense to use block walls and concrete floors, even for the floor
above the basement.

Makes most sense to use a big concrete slab on your senile head, you
obnoxious senile pest!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 10:05:32 -0800 (PST), Davej wrote:

Found an interesting Youtube video on practical wall construction. Anyone here have experience with this sort of thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjhrXFo0Kw

Nah. But this guy is a good start. Just be sure to look at other ways to do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/19 1:05 PM, Davej wrote:
Found an interesting Youtube video on practical wall construction. Anyone here have experience with this sort of thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjhrXFo0Kw

Many years back, we added onto our two story frame house to build a home
office that I used for a professional practice. The contractor built
about an eight inch dead space between the new office and the existing
house then filled it with rock-wool- floor to ceiling.

Works great!

--
Results of a poll taken by the California Governor's office asking
whetherÂ* people who live in California think illegal immigration is a

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 29%Â*Â* of respondents answered:Â* "Yes, it is a serious problem."
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 71%Â*Â* of respondents answered:Â* "No es una problema seriosa."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2019 2:51 PM, danny burstein wrote:
[snnnniiiiippppp]

ah, for the days of lead foil...

In my old church, I installed an organ blower from 1947 which was
completely clad in lead. You could barely pick it up!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Davej posted for all of us...

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 1:47:08 PM UTC-6, Tekkie® wrote:
Davej posted for all of us...

Found an interesting Youtube video on practical wall
construction. Anyone here have experience with this sort
of thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjhrXFo0Kw

Why ask a question if you do not follow up with your results
of help?

Results of what?

Your previous questions you have asked. You were given answers to those
questions, do you not think we deserve to know what you did with them?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 2:34:27 PM UTC-6, Tekkie® wrote:
Davej posted for all of us...

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 1:47:08 PM UTC-6, Tekkie® wrote:
Davej posted for all of us...

Found an interesting Youtube video on practical wall
construction. Anyone here have experience with this sort
of thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjhrXFo0Kw

Why ask a question if you do not follow up with your results
of help?

Results of what?

Your previous questions you have asked. You were given answers to those
questions, do you not think we deserve to know what you did with them?

--
Tekkie

You mean because I broke the flow of political rants?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Davej writes:
On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 2:34:27 PM UTC-6, Tekkie=C2=AE wrote:
Davej posted for all of us...
=20
=20
=20
On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 1:47:08 PM UTC-6, Tekkie=C2=AE wrote:
Davej posted for all of us...
=20
Found an interesting Youtube video on practical wall=20
construction. Anyone here have experience with this sort=20
of thing?
=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DGLjhrXFo0Kw=20
=20
Why ask a question if you do not follow up with your results=20
of help?
=20
Results of what?

=20
Your previous questions you have asked. You were given answers to those=

=20
questions, do you not think we deserve to know what you did with them?
=20
--=20
Tekkie

You mean because I broke the flow of political rants?

You are better off ignoring the trolls than responding to them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Davej posted for all of us...

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 2:34:27 PM UTC-6, Tekkie® wrote:
Davej posted for all of us...

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 1:47:08 PM UTC-6, Tekkie® wrote:
Davej posted for all of us...

Found an interesting Youtube video on practical wall
construction. Anyone here have experience with this sort
of thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjhrXFo0Kw

Why ask a question if you do not follow up with your results
of help?

Results of what?

Your previous questions you have asked. You were given answers to those
questions, do you not think we deserve to know what you did with them?

--
Tekkie

You mean because I broke the flow of political rants?

No, look back in your postings for the last month. Get back to us.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 7:58:07 PM UTC-6, Tekkie® wrote:
Davej posted for all of us...

[...]

I wonder if egg cartons would be a good sound proofer?

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
[...]

NO. They do help sound in a room by breaking up reflection times.

Greg

Sound proofing building regulations NB UK diy 3 June 14th 05 11:47 PM
Sound proofing a stud partition Trab Nospmis UK diy 7 February 25th 05 09:40 AM
Sound proofing terraced house. andrewpreece UK diy 9 January 8th 05 03:54 PM
sound proofing Gerald Lamb Home Repair 4 January 1st 05 12:59 AM
Sound proofing wall Ash1 UK diy 9 July 23rd 03 01:32 AM