Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default was Tommy Flowers a radio amateur

was Tommy Flowers a radio amateur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 16:44, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
was Tommy Flowers a radio amateur

sorry wrong group...again
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 25/02/2021, Jimmy Stewart ... supposed :
was Tommy Flowers a radio amateur

Yes and from memory he worked for the GPO telephones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 20:50:32 +0000, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

on 25/02/2021, Jimmy Stewart ... supposed :
was Tommy Flowers a radio amateur

Yes and from memory he worked for the GPO telephones.

Yes, he worked for the Post Office at Dollis Hill. A lot of what he built
at Bletchley contained ex PO parts, which helped to hide what was going
on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yesk I believe somebody who knew him is still on the air from Bletchley, the
town not the park or the national radio centre which is also there of
course.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
on 25/02/2021, Jimmy Stewart ... supposed :
was Tommy Flowers a radio amateur

Yes and from memory he worked for the GPO telephones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Feb 2021 21:31:17 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 20:50:32 +0000, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

on 25/02/2021, Jimmy Stewart ... supposed :
was Tommy Flowers a radio amateur

Yes and from memory he worked for the GPO telephones.

Yes, he worked for the Post Office at Dollis Hill. A lot of what he built
at Bletchley contained ex PO parts, which helped to hide what was going
on.

A lot of it looked familiar (Ex BT). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 08:31, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yesk I believe somebody who knew him is still on the air from Bletchley, the
town not the park or the national radio centre which is also there of
course.
Brian

Flowers may have been interested in amateur radio, but where is the
evidence of this - or of him being a licenced radio amateur?

PA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 13:52, Peter Able wrote:
On 26/02/2021 08:31, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yesk I believe somebody who knew him is still on the air from
Bletchley, the
town not the park or the national radio centreÂ* which is also there of
course.
Â* Brian

Flowers may have been interested in amateur radio, but where is the
evidence of this - or of him being a licenced radio amateur?

PA

None that I have ever found. As I understand it he was really more into
switching circuit design with his background in this at the GPO.

--
Climate is what you expect but weather is what you get.
Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 13:52, Peter Able wrote:
On 26/02/2021 08:31, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yesk I believe somebody who knew him is still on the air from
Bletchley, the
town not the park or the national radio centreÂ* which is also there of
course.
Â* Brian

Flowers may have been interested in amateur radio, but where is the
evidence of this - or of him being a licenced radio amateur?

PA

None that I have ever found. As I understand it he was really more into
switching circuit design with his background in this at the GPO.

Indeed. Mind you, in those days when amateur radio was a more technical
hobby, it might have appealed to such an active engineering mind. That
said, I can't find his name in either a 1937 or a 1952 amateur radio
callbook.

PA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 16:18, Peter Able wrote:
On 26/02/2021 13:52, Peter Able wrote:
On 26/02/2021 08:31, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yesk I believe somebody who knew him is still on the air from
Bletchley, the
town not the park or the national radio centreÂ* which is also there of
course.
Â* Brian

Flowers may have been interested in amateur radio, but where is the
evidence of this - or of him being a licenced radio amateur?

PA

None that I have ever found. As I understand it he was really more
into switching circuit design with his background in this at the GPO.

Indeed. Mind you, in those days when amateur radio was a more technical
hobby, it might have appealed to such an active engineering mind.Â* That
said, I can't find his name in either a 1937 or a 1952 amateur radio
callbook.

As a professional engineer, once you have built a couple of radios as a
teenager that's really it. One moves on.

And I very much doubt we would have been hamming the airwaves in wartime
and working for a top secret establishment

PA

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 16:18, Peter Able wrote:
On 26/02/2021 13:52, Peter Able wrote:
On 26/02/2021 08:31, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yesk I believe somebody who knew him is still on the air from
Bletchley, the
town not the park or the national radio centreÂ* which is also there of
course.
Â* Brian

Flowers may have been interested in amateur radio, but where is the
evidence of this - or of him being a licenced radio amateur?

PA

None that I have ever found. As I understand it he was really more
into switching circuit design with his background in this at the GPO.

Indeed. Mind you, in those days when amateur radio was a more
technical hobby, it might have appealed to such an active engineering
mind.Â* That said, I can't find his name in either a 1937 or a 1952
amateur radio callbook.

As a professional engineer, once you have built a couple of radios as a
teenager that's really it. One moves on.

And I very much doubt we would have been hamming the airwaves in wartime
and working for a top secret establishment

You're at risk of falling into the trap of confusing the past with the
present - and so being a bit hard on the Old Timers. As I mentioned
Amateur Radio was quite a technical hobby at that time. Remember there
was a class of licence - and a fair number of such licensees - at that
time that permitted you to do as much as full licensees were permitted
other than feed the transmitter output into an aerial. This would
mystify the present generation of non-technical radio amateurs. What
was the point of buying their black-boxes under that sort of regime?

The past is - indeed - a foreign country. For the record, radio
amateurs were actively employed in government institutions and the
defence industry during (and since) WW2. Plus there were others used to,
in their spare time, take down particular axis transmissions of
(encoded) morse code and send them - via Box 25 - to, eventually,
Bletchley Park or the like.

But that was then.

PA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 17:47, Peter Able wrote:
[...]

present - and so being a bit hard on the Old Timers.Â* As I mentioned
Amateur Radio was quite a technical hobby at that time.Â* Remember there
was a class of licence - and a fair number of such licensees - at that
time that permitted you to do as much as full licensees were permitted
other than feed the transmitter output into an aerial.Â* This would
mystify the present generation of non-technical radio amateurs.Â* What
was the point of buying their black-boxes under that sort of regime?

The past is - indeed - a foreign country.Â* For the record, radio
amateurs were actively employed in government institutions and the
defence industry during (and since) WW2. Plus there were others used to,
in their spare time, take down particular axis transmissions of
(encoded) morse code and send them - via Box 25 - to, eventually,
Bletchley Park or the like.

Precisely. Tommy was not in the game of operating radio at that time.
Period.

His game was telephone switching. Using valves

But that was then.

PA

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Able wrote:
[...]

There is an RSGB site at Bletchley.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Share feelings for Mexico along with flowers smruti patel Metalworking 0 January 3rd 13 04:50 AM
FLOWERS jai Metalworking 0 August 8th 08 06:11 AM
Color Determines The Tone Of Your Flowers Arrangements [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 16th 08 11:34 AM
Rose Has No Flowers beverly3425 Home Ownership 0 May 31st 07 12:49 AM
Painting or Spray painting dried wild flowers michaelangelo7 UK diy 1 December 31st 05 07:05 PM