Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What Are Sperm Telling Us?

What Are Sperm Telling Us?
By Nicholas Kristof, 2/20/21, NY Times

Something alarming is happening between our legs.
Sperm counts have been dropping; infant boys are developing
more genital abnormalities; more girls are experiencing
early puberty; and adult women appear to be suffering
declining egg quality and more miscarriages.
Its not just humans. Scientists report genital anomalies
in a range of species, including unusually small penises
in alligators, otters and minks. In some areas, significant
numbers of fish, frogs and turtles have exhibited both male
and female organs.

Four years ago, a leading scholar of reproductive health,
Shanna H. Swan, calculated that from 1973-2011, the sperm
count of average men in Western countries had fallen by 59%.
Inevitably, there were headlines about €œSpermageddon€ and
the risk that humans would disappear, but then we moved on
to chase other shiny objects.

Now Swan, an epidemiologist at Mt Sinai Medical Center in
New York, has written a book, €œCount Down,€ that will be
published on Tuesday and sounds a warning bell. Her subtitle
is blunt: €œHow our modern world is threatening sperm counts,
altering male and female reproductive development, and
imperiling the future of the human race.€

Swan & other experts say the problem is a class of chemicals
called endocrine disruptors, which mimic the bodys hormones
& thus fool our cells. This is a particular problem for
fetuses as they sexually differentiate early in pregnancy.
Endocrine disruptors can wreak reproductive havoc.

These endocrine disruptors are everywhe plastics, shampoos,
cosmetics, cushions, pesticides, canned foods and A.T.M.
receipts. They often arent on labels and can be difficult
to avoid.

€œIn some ways, the sperm-count decline is akin to where global
warming was 40 years ago,€ Swan writes. €œThe climate crisis
has been accepted €” at least by most people €” as a real threat.
My hope is that the same will happen with the reproductive
turmoil thats upon us.€

Chemical companies are as reckless as tobacco companies were
a generation ago, or as opioid manufacturers were a decade
ago. They lobby against even safety testing of endocrine
disruptors, so that we have little idea if products we use
each day are damaging our bodies or our children. Were all
guinea pigs.

Aside from the decline in sperm counts, growing numbers of
sperm appear defective €” theres a boom in two-headed sperm €”
while others loll aimlessly in circles, rather than furiously
swimming in pursuit of an egg. And infants who have had greater
exposures to a kind of endocrine disruptor called phthalates
have smaller penises, Swan found.

Uncertainty remains, research sometimes conflicts & biological
pathways arent always clear. There are competing theories
about whether the sperm count decline is real and what might
cause it and about why girls appear to be reaching puberty
earlier, and its sometimes unclear whether an increase in
male genital abnormalities reflects actual rising numbers or
just better reporting.

Still, the Endocrine Society, the Pediatric Endocrine Society,
the Presidents Cancer Panel and the World Health Org have
all warned about endocrine disruptors, and Europe and Canada
have moved to regulate them. But in the US, Congress and the
Trump admin seemed to listen more to industry lobbyists than
to independent scientists.

Patricia Ann Hunt, a reproductive geneticist at Washington
State Univ, has conducted experiments on mice showing that
the impact of endocrine disruptors is cumulative, generation
after generation. When infant mice were exposed for just a
few days to endocrine disrupting chemicals, their testes as
adults produced fewer sperm, & this incapacity was transmitted
to their offspring. While findings from animal studies cant
necessarily be extended to humans, after three generations of
these exposures, one-fifth of the male mice were infertile.

€œI find this particularly troubling,€ Professor Hunt told me.
€œFrom the standpoint of human exposures, you could argue we
are hitting the third generation just about now.€

What if anything does all this mean for the future of humanity?

€œI do not see humans becoming extinct, but I do see family
lines ending for a subset of people who are infertile,€ Andrea
Gore, a prof of neuroendocrinology at the UT Austin, told me.
€œPeople with impaired sperm or egg quality cannot exercise
their right to choose to have a child. That may not devastate
our species, but it is certainly devastating to these infertile
couples.€

More research is necessary, & govt regulation & corporate
responsibility are crucial to manage risks, but Swan offers
practical suggestions for daily life for those with the
resources. Store food in glass containers, not plastic. Above
all, dont microwave foods in plastic or with plastic wrap on
top. Avoid pesticides. Buy organic produce if possible. Avoid
tobacco or marijuana. Use a cotton or linen shower curtain,
not one made of vinyl. Dont use air fresheners. Prevent dust
buildup. Vet consumer products you use with an online guide
like that of the Environmental Working Group.

Many issues in headlines today wont much matter in a decade,
let alone in a century. Climate change is one exception, and
another may be the risks to our capacity to reproduce.

The epitome of a €œlow blow€ is a kick to the crotch. And that,
friends, may be what we as a species are doing to ourselves.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/o...ors-sperm.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 22:27:23 -0800, David P wrote:

[...]

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/o...ne-disruptors-

sperm.html

Nature is telling us the earth is over populated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 06:27, David P wrote:
What Are Sperm Telling Us?
By Nicholas Kristof, 2/20/21, NY Times

Something alarming is happening

Perhaps put OT in the subject, problem solved?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 11:34, Fredxx wrote:
On 25/02/2021 06:27, David P wrote:
What Are Sperm Telling Us?
By Nicholas Kristof, 2/20/21, NY Times

Something alarming is happening

Perhaps put OT in the subject, problem solved?

A killfile works for me.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 13:08, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 25/02/2021 11:34, Fredxx wrote:
On 25/02/2021 06:27, David P wrote:
What Are Sperm Telling Us?
By Nicholas Kristof, 2/20/21, NY Times

Something alarming is happening

Perhaps put OT in the subject, problem solved?

A killfile works for me.

It is getting to that point, "David P" doesn't contribute anything
positive to this group, and seems to "transmit only".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes besides, I had visions of singing sperm on Britains got talent when I
read the sub line.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 25/02/2021 06:27, David P wrote:
What Are Sperm Telling Us?
By Nicholas Kristof, 2/20/21, NY Times

Something alarming is happening

Perhaps put OT in the subject, problem solved?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 25/02/2021 13:08, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 25/02/2021 11:34, Fredxx wrote:
On 25/02/2021 06:27, David P wrote:
What Are Sperm Telling Us?
By Nicholas Kristof, 2/20/21, NY Times

Something alarming is happening

Perhaps put OT in the subject, problem solved?

A killfile works for me.

It is getting to that point, "David P" doesn't contribute anything
positive to this group, and seems to "transmit only".

He has read and responded to some of my comments on his posts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 04:48:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

It is getting to that point, "David P" doesn't contribute anything
positive to this group, and seems to "transmit only".

Oh, those self-delusions of all you self-righteous smartassing senile morons
that seem to have taken over Usenet.

He has read and responded to some of my comments on his posts.

Yes, how VERY interesting, you subnormal trolling senile asshole!

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jon wrote:
David P wrote:

What Are Sperm Telling Us?
By Nicholas Kristof, 2/20/21, NY Times

Something alarming is happening between our legs.
Sperm counts have been dropping; infant boys are developing more genital
abnormalities; more girls are experiencing early puberty; and adult
women appear to be suffering declining egg quality and more
miscarriages.
Its not just humans. Scientists report genital anomalies in a range of
species, including unusually small penises in alligators, otters and
minks. In some areas, significant numbers of fish, frogs and turtles
have exhibited both male and female organs. [ . . . ]
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/o...ne-disruptors-
sperm.html

Nature is telling us the earth is over populated.

When they called for ZPG, the scientists were looking
at our ecological footprint. Other people weren't,
because they don't read enough about stuff like that.
The politicians knew that, so they kicked the can down
the road. The majority is uninformed, but can still vote.
People thought they could do whatever they wanted and
get away with it! It was too good to be true!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David P wrote
jon wrote
David P wrote

What Are Sperm Telling Us?

Nothing useful.

By Nicholas Kristof, 2/20/21, NY Times

Just more mindless click bait.

Something alarming is happening between our legs.

Speak for yourself.

Sperm counts have been dropping; infant boys
are developing more genital abnormalities;

Because more survive than used to.

more girls are experiencing early puberty;

Thats bull****.

and adult women appear to be suffering declining egg quality

Because more survive than used to.

and more miscarriages.

Because more survive than used to and IVF allows
those with defective eggs to procreate now.

Its not just humans. Scientists report genital anomalies
in a range of species, including unusually small penises
in alligators, otters and minks.

Likely due to what ends up in their water supply.

In some areas, significant numbers of fish, frogs and turtles
have exhibited both male and female organs. [ . . . ]

Ditto.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/o...ors-sperm.html

Nature is telling us the earth is over populated.

Its very far from clear that that is due to over population.

And most of the stuff he stupidly hyperventilates
about reduces the population anyway, stupid.

When they called for ZPG, the scientists
were looking at our ecological footprint.

Problem is that you can run the same
line about no humans at all.

Other people weren't, because they
don't read enough about stuff like that.

Just because someone claims something...

The politicians knew that, so they
kicked the can down the road.

And it turns out that that problem is fixing
itself and it was the right approach. There
is no other viable approach.

The majority is uninformed, but can still vote.
People thought they could do whatever they
wanted and get away with it!

And it turns out that we can.

It was too good to be true!

Easy to claim without any evidence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 17:20:39 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 16:53:52 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Yes besides, I had visions of singing sperm on Britains got talent when
I read the sub line.
Brian

....need to be on more talent.