Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default USB power question

On the PC desktop here (Gigabyte MB) the USB power is on at all times the
PC is plugged into the mains. The separate web cam has a couple of LED
indicators. I assume this is under BIOS control, but can't find a setting.
But then the BIOS uses all sort of acronyms I don't understand.

Any easy way of disabling this? So USB power only comes on when I boot the
PC?

--
*Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

On the PC desktop here (Gigabyte MB) the USB power is on at all times the
PC is plugged into the mains. The separate web cam has a couple of LED
indicators. I assume this is under BIOS control, but can't find a setting.
But then the BIOS uses all sort of acronyms I don't understand.

Any easy way of disabling this? So USB power only comes on when I boot the
PC?

maybe a BIOS/UEFI setting, but more likely windows.

a USB device (e.g. keyboard/mouse) may wake the computer from sleep, so
the USB controller and root hub (EHCI/XHCI etc) may be kept powered-up
to allow that, within device manager you should see "power management"
tabs all the way down the USB device tree, where you can tell windows if
specific devices are allowed to bring the computer out of sleep, or can
be powered-off.

Sometimes these tabs go AWOL.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

[...]

In the BIOS, there are settings for waking up by mouse or keyboard.
Everything on that page turned off. Went to USB power management in Win10
and tried the alternatives - no difference.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
On the PC desktop here (Gigabyte MB) the USB power is on at all times the
PC is plugged into the mains. The separate web cam has a couple of LED
indicators. I assume this is under BIOS control, but can't find a setting.
But then the BIOS uses all sort of acronyms I don't understand.

Any easy way of disabling this? So USB power only comes on when I boot the
PC?

Many laptops have two 'types' of USB socket, some which are powered
only when the laptop is on and some powered whenever the laptop power
is plugged in. Maybe your Gigabyte PC has a similar setup.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On the PC desktop here (Gigabyte MB) the USB power is on at all times the
PC is plugged into the mains. The separate web cam has a couple of LED
indicators. I assume this is under BIOS control, but can't find a setting.
But then the BIOS uses all sort of acronyms I don't understand.

Any easy way of disabling this? So USB power only comes on when I boot the
PC?

Maybe?
https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/co...hen_pc_is_off/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

On the PC desktop here (Gigabyte MB) the USB power is on at all times the
PC is plugged into the mains. The separate web cam has a couple of LED
indicators. I assume this is under BIOS control, but can't find a setting.
But then the BIOS uses all sort of acronyms I don't understand.

Any easy way of disabling this? So USB power only comes on when I boot the
PC?

YouTube came up with a gigabyte specific video straight away when I
entered "turn off powered USB"

Have you also banned yourself from dealing with Google?

:-p

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 11:13:01 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

On the PC desktop here (Gigabyte MB) the USB power is on at all times
the PC is plugged into the mains. The separate web cam has a couple of
LED indicators. I assume this is under BIOS control, but can't find a
setting.
But then the BIOS uses all sort of acronyms I don't understand.

Any easy way of disabling this? So USB power only comes on when I boot
the PC?

Expand the USB settings and you see, USB selective suspend setting
This is the default setting for Windows 10. Click on the drop down and
select Disabled to not allow Windows power management to suspend or
power down the USB port Click OK to save setting and close all open
Windows.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

On the PC desktop here (Gigabyte MB) the USB power is on at all
times the PC is plugged into the mains. The separate web cam has a
couple of LED indicators. I assume this is under BIOS control, but
can't find a setting. But then the BIOS uses all sort of acronyms I
don't understand.

Any easy way of disabling this? So USB power only comes on when I
boot the PC?

YouTube came up with a gigabyte specific video straight away when I
entered "turn off powered USB"

Have you also banned yourself from dealing with Google?

:-p

I generally can't be bothered with videos. Prefer text.

But thanks for the heads up. Turns out you have to enable ERP. Whatever
that is. Obviously just me, but I'd expect any such settings to be in the
USB section of the BIOS.

--
*Pride is what we have. Vanity is what others have.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

On the PC desktop here (Gigabyte MB) the USB power is on at all
times the PC is plugged into the mains. The separate web cam has a
couple of LED indicators. I assume this is under BIOS control, but
can't find a setting. But then the BIOS uses all sort of acronyms I
don't understand.

Any easy way of disabling this? So USB power only comes on when I
boot the PC?

YouTube came up with a gigabyte specific video straight away when I
entered "turn off powered USB"

Have you also banned yourself from dealing with Google?

:-p

I generally can't be bothered with videos. Prefer text.

But thanks for the heads up. Turns out you have to enable ERP. Whatever
that is. Obviously just me, but I'd expect any such settings to be in the
USB section of the BIOS.

ERP is the directive that states how efficient computers should be in in
their "off" state. So is the place to find settings for reducing power
consumption by disabling USB ports (and other devices) when off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The whole point though is for that to also be a charger, though I have to
say I'm not greatly impressed with their efficiency.

One thing I have also found is that for example, if I use it to power some
dongle on my TV, all sorts of crud gets into the supply and power wall
warts are better, but don't use the el cheapo ones as they generally buzz or
create excessive RFI or both.

As for controlling them on or off. The guy who built my machine said it was
a series of jumpers on the mother board, but I never asked him where they
actually were, sorry!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
On the PC desktop here (Gigabyte MB) the USB power is on at all times the
PC is plugged into the mains. The separate web cam has a couple of LED
indicators. I assume this is under BIOS control, but can't find a setting.
But then the BIOS uses all sort of acronyms I don't understand.

Any easy way of disabling this? So USB power only comes on when I boot the
PC?

--
*Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until
you hear them speak.

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I seem to recall that on many pcs there are two usbs which cannot be powered
off as they are for keyboard and mouse so if you put it off, one assumes any
attempt to bring it out of deep sleep might not work well if you cannot have
the power on.
Life used to be so simple in them old days.. sigh.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2021 09:14, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
The whole point though is for that to also be a charger, though I have to
say I'm not greatly impressed with their efficiency.

To support the ATX soft start button and wake-on-LAN features, PCs have
long offered a permanent 5V standby supply.

So this USB powering thing is using something that was already there as
an independent subsystem. This would be as efficient as a typical
plug-in wall adapter (I'd hope).

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2021 09:50, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 22/02/2021 09:14, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
The whole point though is for that to also be a charger, though I have to
say I'm not greatly impressed with their efficiency.

To support the ATX soft start button and wake-on-LAN features, PCs have
long offered a permanent 5V standby supply.

So this USB powering thing is using something that was already there as
an independent subsystem. This would be as efficient as a typical
plug-in wall adapter (I'd hope).

I don't think stand-by power consumption is part of the ATX or 80 plus
standards but the 4 year old PSU driving this post claims less than 0.25
watts.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

[...]

Ah - thanks for that. Personally. I'd expect to need to enable USB ports
being live at all times, rather than it being the default. Doubt many use
a desktop to charge their phone. ;-)

--
*If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 22/02/2021 09:14, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
The whole point though is for that to also be a charger, though I have to
say I'm not greatly impressed with their efficiency.

To support the ATX soft start button and wake-on-LAN features, PCs have
long offered a permanent 5V standby supply.

Yes.

So this USB powering thing is using something that was already there as
an independent subsystem. This would be as efficient as a typical
plug-in wall adapter (I'd hope).

But if you'd something like an external HD plugged into USB, does it make
sense for it to be powered 24/7?

--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Ah - thanks for that. Personally. I'd expect to need to enable USB ports
being live at all times, rather than it being the default. Doubt many use
a desktop to charge their phone. ;-)

Why not? My mobile lives sat on top of my desktop in the study, it's
little use for anything else for me except to receive SMS 2FA messages
so that's the obvious place for it!

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 22/02/2021 09:14, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
The whole point though is for that to also be a charger, though I have to
say I'm not greatly impressed with their efficiency.

To support the ATX soft start button and wake-on-LAN features, PCs have
long offered a permanent 5V standby supply.

Yes.

So this USB powering thing is using something that was already there as
an independent subsystem. This would be as efficient as a typical
plug-in wall adapter (I'd hope).

But if you'd something like an external HD plugged into USB, does it make
sense for it to be powered 24/7?

USB-powered external HDDs will usually enter sleep mode. If your webcam
doesn't perhaps that's because it consumes negligible power when not in
use. What do the specifications say?

PS
I routinely leave my phone charging from a PC overnight when speed is
not of the essence.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 22/02/2021 09:14, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
The whole point though is for that to also be a charger, though I have to
say I'm not greatly impressed with their efficiency.

To support the ATX soft start button and wake-on-LAN features, PCs have
long offered a permanent 5V standby supply.

Yes.

So this USB powering thing is using something that was already there as
an independent subsystem. This would be as efficient as a typical
plug-in wall adapter (I'd hope).

But if you'd something like an external HD plugged into USB, does it make
sense for it to be powered 24/7?

Why not?
Since all modern 2.5" HDDs are more or less common in their
implementation we can use this specification as a reference, but keep in
mind that other drives could have deviation up to 20% in comparison to
this one (like in question's table).

For archival purposes here is an excerpt from the specification.

Typical power measurements are based on an average of drives tested,
under nominal conditions, at 25°C ambient temperature. These power
measurements are done with DIPM enabled.

Spinup current is measured from the time of power-on to the time
that the drive spindle reaches operating speed.

Read/Write current is measured with the heads on track, based on
three 64 sector read or write operations every 100 ms.

The drive supports two idle modes: Active Idle mode and Low Power Idle
mode.

Power Dissipation 5TB, 4TB & 3TB models
+5V input average (25° C)

Spinup (max) 1.2A (6W)

Write average 2.10W

Read average 1.90W

Idle, low power mode 0.85W

Standby/sleep 0.18W

Standby power is measured at steady state (after 200ms from transition)

/q
from:
https://superuser.com/questions/1171...ve-connected-t
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah - thanks for that. Personally. I'd expect to need to enable USB ports
being live at all times, rather than it being the default. Doubt many use
a desktop to charge their phone. ;-)

Very common in offices, mostly while the machine is running (24/7)

The non-technical think it's a charger socket - its only function.
(well, those enamoured by the cool slide-out cup-holder...)

The IT department on the other hand, think it a broken socket & virus
security risk, so use can be disabled in BIOS, windows group policy,
jumpers, disconnecting wires and hot-melt glue!

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 22/02/2021 09:14, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
The whole point though is for that to also be a charger, though I have to
say I'm not greatly impressed with their efficiency.

To support the ATX soft start button and wake-on-LAN features, PCs
have long offered a permanent 5V standby supply.

Yes.

So this USB powering thing is using something that was already there
as an independent subsystem. This would be as efficient as a typical
plug-in wall adapter (I'd hope).

But if you'd something like an external HD plugged into USB, does it
make sense for it to be powered 24/7?

USB-powered external HDDs will usually enter sleep mode. If your webcam
doesn't perhaps that's because it consumes negligible power when not in
use. What do the specifications say?

Dunno. It was more the 'power on' LEDs on the front of it that annoyed.
Since I have two different OS computers on this workstation, and only the
PC uses the web cam. But there were a couple of other externals with power
LEDs too, normally left plugged in.

PS
I routinely leave my phone charging from a PC overnight when speed is
not of the essence.

My mobile stays in the kitchen when I'm in - more of a landline type.
So I provided one of those sockets with USB power for it and other things
at a convenient place on a worktop. At least I then know where it is when
going out. ;-)

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Ah - thanks for that. Personally. I'd expect to need to enable USB ports
being live at all times, rather than it being the default. Doubt many use
a desktop to charge their phone. ;-)

Very common in offices, mostly while the machine is running (24/7)

It wouldn't matter if the PC is on 24/7. ;-)

The non-technical think it's a charger socket - its only function.
(well, those enamoured by the cool slide-out cup-holder...)

My new laptop - rather pricey too - hasn't got one of those. Or any
'ordinary' UBS. Or rather one via an adaptor. Had to buy extra.

The IT department on the other hand, think it a broken socket & virus
security risk, so use can be disabled in BIOS, windows group policy,
jumpers, disconnecting wires and hot-melt glue!

I did try and get Windows to do what I wanted. No luck. Hardly a surprise.

--
*WHY ARE HEMORRHOIDS CALLED "HEMORRHOIDS" INSTEAD OF "ASTEROIDS"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

https://www.cnet.com/health/how-to-d...icator-lights/

and this:
https://www.howtowipeyourbutt.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Ah - thanks for that. Personally. I'd expect to need to enable USB ports
being live at all times, rather than it being the default. Doubt many use
a desktop to charge their phone. ;-)

Very common in offices, mostly while the machine is running (24/7)

It wouldn't matter if the PC is on 24/7. ;-)

The non-technical think it's a charger socket - its only function.
(well, those enamoured by the cool slide-out cup-holder...)

My new laptop - rather pricey too - hasn't got one of those. Or any
'ordinary' UBS. Or rather one via an adaptor. Had to buy extra.

Had you bought smart in the first place...

The IT department on the other hand, think it a broken socket & virus
security risk, so use can be disabled in BIOS, windows group policy,
jumpers, disconnecting wires and hot-melt glue!

I did try and get Windows to do what I wanted. No luck. Hardly a surprise.

Beginning to see a pattern with the problems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

[...]

I charge mine from the PC while working at home or overnight - as with
three kids, I can never find an available charger otehrwise!

When working in the office, many people charge from PCs, as most
workplaces require you to have your plug-in charger tested by them
before you can use it. There are even special "power-only" cables to
allow you to do this in places that don't allow you to plug any data
devices into their PCs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
The whole point though is for that to also be a charger, though I have to
say I'm not greatly impressed with their efficiency.

One thing I have also found is that for example, if I use it to power some
dongle on my TV, all sorts of crud gets into the supply and power wall
warts are better, but don't use the el cheapo ones as they generally buzz
or create excessive RFI or both.

As for controlling them on or off. The guy who built my machine said it
was a series of jumpers on the mother board, but I never asked him where
they actually were, sorry!

Thats not for having it off when the system is turned off,
just for enabling or disabling it and which connector it
comes out on when you dont want it on the back panel.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
On the PC desktop here (Gigabyte MB) the USB power is on at all times the
PC is plugged into the mains. The separate web cam has a couple of LED
indicators. I assume this is under BIOS control, but can't find a
setting.
But then the BIOS uses all sort of acronyms I don't understand.

Any easy way of disabling this? So USB power only comes on when I boot
the
PC?

--
*Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until
you hear them speak.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2021 21:18, Rod Speed wrote:

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
The whole point though is for that to also be a charger, though I have
to say I'm not greatly impressed with their efficiency.

One thing I have also found is that for example, if I use it to power
some dongle on my TV, all sorts of crud gets into the supply* and
power wall warts are better, but don't use the el cheapo ones as they
generally buzz or create excessive RFI or both.

As for controlling them on or off. The guy who built my machine said
it was a series of jumpers on the mother board, but I never asked him
where they actually were, sorry!

Thats not for having it off when the system is turned off,

It's very common for motherboards to power USB ports when the computer
is shutdown, as long as power is going to the PS. The PS would normally
have an output labelled +5VSB or similar.

just for enabling or disabling it and which connector it
comes out on when you dont want it on the back panel.

What?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
On 22/02/2021 09:50, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 22/02/2021 09:14, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
The whole point though is for that to also be a charger, though I have
say I'm not greatly impressed with their efficiency.

To support the ATX soft start button and wake-on-LAN features, PCs have
long offered a permanent 5V standby supply.

So this USB powering thing is using something that was already there as
an independent subsystem. This would be as efficient as a typical plug-in
wall adapter (I'd hope).

I don't think stand-by power consumption is part of the ATX or 80 plus
standards

Yes it is with the ATX particularly.

but the 4 year old PSU driving this post claims less than 0.25 watts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

[...]

Plenty. including me, have used them for charging other
low power stuff like headsets etc tho. I dont any since I
have changed over to those magnetic things, mainly to
keep the lightning port on the 6S blocked so it doesnt
get fluff and dirt in it in your pocket. I used to use a little
rubber plug but those arent available anymore for some
reason and are fiddly to remove and replace every time
you charge the phone and easy to lose. The magnetic
thing stays in the port forever and the other magnet
snaps on when you want to charge the phone.

It comes with all the 3 connectors so I have the micro
usb in the headset now and charge it the same way, using
the phone charger, but I did use the PC USB previously.
Same with the cordless keyboard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Ah - thanks for that. Personally. I'd expect to need to enable USB ports
being live at all times, rather than it being the default. Doubt many use
a desktop to charge their phone. ;-)

Why not?

Not as much current available as with the supplied
phone charger usually so charges more slowly.

My mobile lives sat on top of my desktop in the study,

Mine is on the opposite side of the deep armchair I compute
from with my feet up an a big square footstool so its comfortable
all day and half the night. I eat and watch recorded free to air TV
and downloaded stuff in that chair too now. So, because I am right
handed and the PC is on the left side, its more convenient to have
the phone on the right side now that all incoming and outgoing
phone calls except the now rare spam is on the iphone.

it's little use for anything else for me except to receive SMS 2FA
messages

Mad. Much better quality than even a good quality cordless
phone and the contacts and history is all in the one place.

so that's the obvious place for it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
[...]

No news and irrelevant to that comment to Brian.

just for enabling or disabling it and which connector it
comes out on when you dont want it on the back panel.

What?

Most of the USB ports are on the motherboard itself,
and are on the back of the case when the motherboard
is mounted in the case. It is more convenient to have
at leas some USB ports on the front of the case and
most motherboards do have stakes on the motherboard
that the computer end of the front USB port cable(s) can
be plugged into.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 12:58:43 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
It's very common for motherboards to power USB ports when the computer
is shutdown, as long as power is going to the PS. The PS would normally
have an output labelled +5VSB or similar.

It looks to be a 'relatively' recent thing. The old MB fitted to that
computer didn't. But luckily there is a way to turn it off.

--
*We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
It's very common for motherboards to power USB ports when the computer
is shutdown, as long as power is going to the PS. The PS would normally
have an output labelled +5VSB or similar.

It looks to be a 'relatively' recent thing. The old MB fitted to that
computer didn't. But luckily there is a way to turn it off.

Define relative :-)

My 9 year old Gigabyte MB supports what it calls, "On/Off Charge
Technology", where it "allows you to charge your iPhone, iPad and iPod
Touch regardless of whether your PC is on, in standby mode or even off".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
It's very common for motherboards to power USB ports when the computer
is shutdown, as long as power is going to the PS. The PS would normally
have an output labelled +5VSB or similar.

It looks to be a 'relatively' recent thing. The old MB fitted to that
computer didn't. But luckily there is a way to turn it off.

Define relative :-)

My 9 year old Gigabyte MB supports what it calls, "On/Off Charge
Technology", where it "allows you to charge your iPhone, iPad and iPod
Touch regardless of whether your PC is on, in standby mode or even off".

Not really sure the age of the original Asus. It certainly started off
with XP, before going to Win7. Couldn't get it to work with Win10 hence
changing to an all singing and dancing Gigabyte. And now I've got on top
of the various things needed to get it to do what the old MB did, performs
rather well. Still find the BIOS settings anything but intuitive, though.
With the handbook not much help.

--
*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*