Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Attic Firewalls legal or not?

Our building was split into separate properties decades ago.
You can get from one to another in the attic.
I think modern Regs would insist in firewalls to slow the spread of fire.
Is this backdated or legal as it is?

One of the properties is rented, I know rental electrical regs are stricter, are there regs saying rented properties must have fire breaks?

George
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2021 13:48, George Miles wrote:
Our building was split into separate properties decades ago.
You can get from one to another in the attic.
I think modern Regs would insist in firewalls to slow the spread of fire.
Is this backdated or legal as it is?

One of the properties is rented, I know rental electrical regs are stricter, are there regs saying rented properties must have fire breaks?

George

might be a fire resisting ceiling to the two flats rather than needing a
fire wall in the attic.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 05:48:53 -0800, George Miles wrote:

Our building was split into separate properties decades ago.
You can get from one to another in the attic.
I think modern Regs would insist in firewalls to slow the spread of
fire.
Is this backdated or legal as it is?

One of the properties is rented, I know rental electrical regs are
stricter, are there regs saying rented properties must have fire
breaks?

George

Ask Building Control?

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2021 15:07, David wrote:
On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 05:48:53 -0800, George Miles wrote:

Our building was split into separate properties decades ago.
You can get from one to another in the attic.
I think modern Regs would insist in firewalls to slow the spread of
fire.
Is this backdated or legal as it is?

One of the properties is rented, I know rental electrical regs are
stricter, are there regs saying rented properties must have fire
breaks?

George

Ask Building Control?

Cheers

Dave R

Not if the 'property split' was informal and neither
planners nor building control know about it :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 15:16:44 +0000, Andrew wrote:

On 09/02/2021 15:07, David wrote:
On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 05:48:53 -0800, George Miles wrote:

Our building was split into separate properties decades ago.
You can get from one to another in the attic.
I think modern Regs would insist in firewalls to slow the spread of
fire.
Is this backdated or legal as it is?

One of the properties is rented, I know rental electrical regs are
stricter, are there regs saying rented properties must have fire
breaks?

George

Ask Building Control?

Not if the 'property split' was informal and neither planners nor
building control know about it :-)

You misunderstand.
Ask Building Control what SHOULD have been done.
If it is over 10 years ago there may be no enforcement options available
but it should answer the OP's question.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2021 15:16, Andrew wrote:
On 09/02/2021 15:07, David wrote:
On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 05:48:53 -0800, George Miles wrote:

Our building was split into separate properties decades ago.
You can get from one to another in the attic.
I think modern Regs would insist in firewalls to slow the spread of
fire.
Is this backdated or legal as it is?

One of the properties is rented, I know rental electrical regs are
stricter, are there regs saying rented properties must have fire
breaks?

George

Ask Building Control?

Not if the 'property split' was informal and neither
planners nor building control know about it :-)

In that situation, would your fire insurance be invalidated?

--
Cheers, Harvey