Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Volt sticks?

Just binned the two in my office desk, one a Kewtech (so not a Fluke,
but not bargain basement either). Should I buy a Fluke, or two or three
cheaper ones for the same total?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound has brought this to us :
Just binned the two in my office desk, one a Kewtech (so not a Fluke, but not
bargain basement either). Should I buy a Fluke, or two or three cheaper ones
for the same total?

I always found Fluke to work well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/01/2021 21:48, newshound wrote:
Just binned the two in my office desk, one a Kewtech (so not a Fluke,
but not bargain basement either). Should I buy a Fluke, or two or three
cheaper ones for the same total?

If you had several, would these be kept in different places?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
Just binned the two in my office desk, one a Kewtech (so not a Fluke, but
not bargain basement either). Should I buy a Fluke, or two or three
cheaper ones for the same total?

Hopefully these work better than the one I bought from B&Q (model 18W51).
That is *very* unreliable. The instructions tell you to test it on a
known-live circuit before using it to determine whether a test circuit is
live or to trace where a live cable goes. But it needs to be very close to a
live wire or pin, and doesn't detect wires in a conduit in a wall. When did
building regs (or normal electrician practice) change from using metal to
using plastic conduits? I can imagine metal conduits would block any volt
stick, especially if the conduit was earthed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2021 21:48, newshound wrote:

Just binned the two in my office desk, one a Kewtech (so not a Fluke,
but not bargain basement either).

What was wrong with them?

Should I buy a Fluke, or two or three
cheaper ones for the same total?

I have been impressed with my fluke. In normal use it seems rock solid
reliable. While expensive compared to some, they are not that pricey in
absolute terms, so worth in IMHO.

I did try some experiments a while back to see if I could trick it into
giving a false reading. I could not get a false negative out of it, but
did manage one false positive - although had to try hard!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ck_experiments

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2021 22:59, GB wrote:
On 30/01/2021 21:48, newshound wrote:
Just binned the two in my office desk, one a Kewtech (so not a Fluke,
but not bargain basement either). Should I buy a Fluke, or two or
three cheaper ones for the same total?

If you had several, would these be kept in different places?

I have one or two in my workshop, but I find it increasingly handy to
have some duplicate small tools in my office. In the days of neon
screwdrivers I would always have several around, to have a spare if one
decided to die. And, of course, always doing a positive test before
relying on a negative indication.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2021 14:08, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/01/2021 21:48, newshound wrote:

Just binned the two in my office desk, one a Kewtech (so not a Fluke,
but not bargain basement either).

What was wrong with them?

Stopped working. The older one was very old, it may have been poor
contacts on the mercury cells, but it also had a mechanical slider switch.

The Kewtech one was switchless, the batteries were fine and the contacts
all looked OK (and I did tweak the springs to increase the contact
pressure). It just didn't respond on thin, twin conductor desk-light flex.

Should I buy a Fluke, or two or three cheaper ones for the same total?

I have been impressed with my fluke. In normal use it seems rock solid
reliable. While expensive compared to some, they are not that pricey in
absolute terms, so worth in IMHO.

I did try some experiments a while back to see if I could trick it into
giving a false reading. I could not get a false negative out of it, but
did manage one false positive - although had to try hard!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ck_experiments

Fluke it is then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY presented the following explanation :
The instructions tell you to test it on a known-live circuit before using it
to determine whether a test circuit is live or to trace where a live cable
goes.

You can test one by rubbing the tip up and down your arm, to create
static.

But it needs to be very close to a live wire or pin, and doesn't detect
wires in a conduit in a wall.

Their range is very limited, which is useful to identify L from N in
bunches of cables, or in flexes. The range can be refined even more, by
placing your fingers around the tip as a screen.

When did building regs (or normal electrician
practice) change from using metal to using plastic conduits? I can imagine
metal conduits would block any volt stick, especially if the conduit was
earthed.

Why would you expect them to work through metal or screening? Either
metal or plastic conduits are in use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm formulated on Sunday :
I did try some experiments a while back to see if I could trick it into
giving a false reading. I could not get a false negative out of it, but did
manage one false positive - although had to try hard!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ck_experiments

They are the best thing since sliced bread, if you thoroughly
understand fully their limitations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
When did building regs (or normal electrician practice) change from using
metal to using plastic conduits? I can imagine metal conduits would block
any volt stick, especially if the conduit was earthed.

Why would you expect them to work through metal or screening? Either metal
or plastic conduits are in use.

As I said above, I *wouldn't* expect them to work through metal conduits. I
presume that was one of the reasons (along with cost, weight and ease of
cutting) for conduits mostly being plastic nowadays. Though maybe *good*
conduit tracers can detect either induced voltage from live wires, for wires
in plastic conduits, or can detect the alteration of a magnetic field (metal
detector principle) for metal conduits, irrespective of whether there's a
current flowing. Usually, the ability to trace where buried wires go is more
important than to detect which wires are live - usually it's for working out
where it's safe to drill or nail into a wall when putting up a picture etc.

I'm not sure how the batteries in my B&Q detector last as long as they do,
because there's no on/off switch: it's permanently on and just bleeps (but
very unreliably) when you put the tip near a current-carrying wire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2021 09:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm formulated on Sunday :
I did try some experiments a while back to see if I could trick it
into giving a false reading. I could not get a false negative out of
it, but did manage one false positive - although had to try hard!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ck_experiments

They are the best thing since sliced bread, if you thoroughly understand
fully their limitations.

I find the "beep" facility quite handy at times - plomp it down close to
a circuit you want to turn off, go to (typically unlabelled) CU, and
turn off MCBs until the bleeping stops!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 01/02/2021 09:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm formulated on Sunday :
I did try some experiments a while back to see if I could trick it
into giving a false reading. I could not get a false negative out of
it, but did manage one false positive - although had to try hard!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ck_experiments

They are the best thing since sliced bread, if you thoroughly understand
fully their limitations.

I find the "beep" facility quite handy at times - plomp it down close to
a circuit you want to turn off, go to (typically unlabelled) CU, and
turn off MCBs until the bleeping stops!

As I have changed and updated the wiring in our house I have labelled
everything as I go. After 20 years of living here it now means just
about everything is labelled. I have even put little stickers on the
top edge of sockets to indicate which MCB/RCD feeds them.

I do check as well when working (i.e. have a lamp plugged in on the
circuit) but it saves a *lot* of time being able to go straight to the
right switch in the CU.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , NY wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
When did building regs (or normal electrician practice) change from
using metal to using plastic conduits? I can imagine metal conduits
would block any volt stick, especially if the conduit was earthed.

Why would you expect them to work through metal or screening? Either
metal or plastic conduits are in use.

As I said above, I *wouldn't* expect them to work through metal conduits.
I presume that was one of the reasons (along with cost, weight and ease
of cutting) for conduits mostly being plastic nowadays.

Don't forget threading ...

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 31/01/2021 22:21, newshound wrote:

Fluke it is then.

Pamper yourself. You deserve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2021 10:28, Chris Green wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Yup good move - you quite often see that in commercial setups - each
socket indicating what circuit/phase/CU its on etc.

Possibly overkill in domestic so long as all the sockets are when you
would expect them to be according to the main CU labels. (e.g. if a
"Downstairs Sockets" label on a MCB accurately identifies everything
that is controlled by it without exceptions).

(although thinking about that, I have MCBs with Sockets Downstairs,
Sockets Upstairs, and then a RCBO with Sockets Kitchen. So my Sockets
Downstairs really ought to have "except Kitchen" added to its label!)

I do check as well when working (i.e. have a lamp plugged in on the
circuit) but it saves a *lot* of time being able to go straight to the
right switch in the CU.

Sure does :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2021 10:50, charles wrote:
In article , NY wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
When did building regs (or normal electrician practice) change from
using metal to using plastic conduits? I can imagine metal conduits
would block any volt stick, especially if the conduit was earthed.

Why would you expect them to work through metal or screening? Either
metal or plastic conduits are in use.

As I said above, I *wouldn't* expect them to work through metal conduits.
I presume that was one of the reasons (along with cost, weight and ease
of cutting) for conduits mostly being plastic nowadays.

Don't forget threading ...

and bending

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 10:05:44 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

I find the "beep" facility quite handy at times - plomp it down close to
a circuit you want to turn off, go to (typically unlabelled) CU, and
turn off MCBs until the bleeping stops!

What he said...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking NY wrote :
Though maybe *good* conduit tracers can detect either induced voltage from
live wires,

Nothing can detect live wires inside metal conduit, but metal conduit
is easily detected with a metal detector buried several inches deep in
a wall.

for wires in plastic conduits, or can detect the alteration of a
magnetic field (metal detector principle) for metal conduits, irrespective of
whether there's a current flowing.

As above. It is not the magnetic field which is detected by a metal
detector, they detect a change in inductance. The actual change depends
upon whether it is ferrous or non-ferrous. Hence metal detectors can
discriminate between the two.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm brought next idea :
I find the "beep" facility quite handy at times - plomp it down close to a
circuit you want to turn off, go to (typically unlabelled) CU, and turn off
MCBs until the bleeping stops!

Yep, done that many times :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

yesterday I ordered some narrow tape so I could label an 'out of area'
socket.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I have a Dymo Rhine and I use 6mm tapes for the 'top of socket' labels.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
charles wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Dymo Rhino that is of course.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris Green
wrote:
charles wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I've got 6mm tape on order. (P-Touch)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

John Rumm wrote:
On 01/02/2021 09:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm formulated on Sunday :
I did try some experiments a while back to see if I could trick it
into giving a false reading. I could not get a false negative out of
it, but did manage one false positive - although had to try hard!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ck_experiments

They are the best thing since sliced bread, if you thoroughly
understand
fully their limitations.

I find the "beep" facility quite handy at times - plomp it down close to
a circuit you want to turn off, go to (typically unlabelled) CU, and
turn off MCBs until the bleeping stops!

As I have changed and updated the wiring in our house I have labelled
everything as I go.Â* After 20 years of living here it now means just
about everything is labelled.Â* I have even put little stickers on the
top edge of sockets to indicate which MCB/RCD feeds them.

Yup good move - you quite often see that in commercial setups - each
socket indicating what circuit/phase/CU its on etc.

EICR at some offices the other day.

One MCB was labelled up as John's office.

John left the firm 20 years ago:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 01/02/2021 12:30, John Rumm wrote:

Possibly overkill in domestic so long as all the sockets are when you
would expect them to be according to the main CU labels. (e.g. if a
"Downstairs Sockets" label on a MCB accurately identifies everything
that is controlled by it without exceptions).

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:EICRfail.jpg

Last thing I saw at work yesterday.

That is as how I found it.

TT installation with no RCD or ELCB.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 01/02/2021 12:30, John Rumm wrote:

Possibly overkill in domestic so long as all the sockets are when you
would expect them to be according to the main CU labels. (e.g. if a
"Downstairs Sockets" label on a MCB accurately identifies everything
that is controlled by it without exceptions).

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:EICRfail.jpg

Last thing I saw at work yesterday.

That is as how I found it.

TT installation with no RCD or ELCB.

I like the box. ;-)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

That is a common problem! I originally labelled MCBs with things like
"Ben's Bedroom", "Snug", etc. but over the years things change, "Ben's
bedroom" has changed at least twice in the years we've lived here.

I now have things like "North Extension Upstairs" and "West Extension".

(They really are extensions, what was originally a tiny two up, two
down cottage is now a huge, T shaped, 6 bedroom house)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb 2021 at 07:36:04 GMT, "ARW" wrote:

On 01/02/2021 12:30, John Rumm wrote:

Possibly overkill in domestic so long as all the sockets are when you
would expect them to be according to the main CU labels. (e.g. if a
"Downstairs Sockets" label on a MCB accurately identifies everything
that is controlled by it without exceptions).

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:EICRfail.jpg

Last thing I saw at work yesterday.

That is as how I found it.

TT installation with no RCD or ELCB.

Is the brown one a replaceable wire fuse or a cartridge fuse?

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 02/02/2021 17:27, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 2 Feb 2021 at 07:36:04 GMT, "ARW" wrote:

On 01/02/2021 12:30, John Rumm wrote:

Possibly overkill in domestic so long as all the sockets are when you
would expect them to be according to the main CU labels. (e.g. if a
"Downstairs Sockets" label on a MCB accurately identifies everything
that is controlled by it without exceptions).

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:EICRfail.jpg

Last thing I saw at work yesterday.

That is as how I found it.

TT installation with no RCD or ELCB.

Is the brown one a replaceable wire fuse or a cartridge fuse?

Blue one? ie blue dots on it?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 17:27, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 2 Feb 2021 at 07:36:04 GMT, "ARW" wrote:

On 01/02/2021 12:30, John Rumm wrote:

Possibly overkill in domestic so long as all the sockets are when you
would expect them to be according to the main CU labels. (e.g. if a
"Downstairs Sockets" label on a MCB accurately identifies everything
that is controlled by it without exceptions).

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:EICRfail.jpg

Last thing I saw at work yesterday.

That is as how I found it.

TT installation with no RCD or ELCB.

Is the brown one a replaceable wire fuse or a cartridge fuse?

Looks like your bog standard Wylex BS 3036 re-wireable jobbie:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...fuse_225-6.jpg

(The MCBs being the type designed to plug into the fuse carrier sockets
on those old fuse boxes)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 07:36, ARW wrote:
On 01/02/2021 12:30, John Rumm wrote:

Possibly overkill in domestic so long as all the sockets are when you
would expect them to be according to the main CU labels. (e.g. if a
"Downstairs Sockets" label on a MCB accurately identifies everything
that is controlled by it without exceptions).

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:EICRfail.jpg

Last thing I saw at work yesterday.

That is as how I found it.

TT installation with no RCD or ELCB.

Now there is class! You certainly take you life in your hands fumbling
around near that main switch. The only slight saving grace is that it
still has its plastic covers over the screw terminals on the incoming
tails.

I especially like the expanding foam in the top terminals of the
leftmost way :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb 2021 at 19:18:52 GMT, "ARW" wrote:

On 02/02/2021 17:27, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 2 Feb 2021 at 07:36:04 GMT, "ARW" wrote:

On 01/02/2021 12:30, John Rumm wrote:

Possibly overkill in domestic so long as all the sockets are when you
would expect them to be according to the main CU labels. (e.g. if a
"Downstairs Sockets" label on a MCB accurately identifies everything
that is controlled by it without exceptions).

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:EICRfail.jpg

Last thing I saw at work yesterday.

That is as how I found it.

TT installation with no RCD or ELCB.

Is the brown one a replaceable wire fuse or a cartridge fuse?

Blue one? ie blue dots on it?

That's right. I've forgotten the colour code.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2021 09:19, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 2 Feb 2021 at 19:18:52 GMT, "ARW" wrote:

On 02/02/2021 17:27, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 2 Feb 2021 at 07:36:04 GMT, "ARW" wrote:

On 01/02/2021 12:30, John Rumm wrote:

Possibly overkill in domestic so long as all the sockets are when you
would expect them to be according to the main CU labels. (e.g. if a
"Downstairs Sockets" label on a MCB accurately identifies everything
that is controlled by it without exceptions).

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:EICRfail.jpg

Last thing I saw at work yesterday.

That is as how I found it.

TT installation with no RCD or ELCB.

Is the brown one a replaceable wire fuse or a cartridge fuse?

Blue one? ie blue dots on it?

That's right. I've forgotten the colour code.

White = 5A, Blue = 15A, Red = 30A, and the less common Yellow = 20A, and
Green = 45A

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 01/02/2021 12:30, John Rumm wrote:

Possibly overkill in domestic so long as all the sockets are when you
would expect them to be according to the main CU labels. (e.g. if a
"Downstairs Sockets" label on a MCB accurately identifies everything
that is controlled by it without exceptions).

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:EICRfail.jpg

Last thing I saw at work yesterday.

That is as how I found it.

TT installation with no RCD or ELCB.

Is the brown one a replaceable wire fuse or a cartridge fuse?

Blue one? ie blue dots on it?

That's right. I've forgotten the colour code.

White = 5A, Blue = 15A, Red = 30A, and the less common Yellow = 20A, and
Green = 45A

The last fusebox I remember as a child had ceramic fuseholders and Woolworth's
fuse wire was 5A, 15A and 30A as I remember. I've probably got some
somewhere.
--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

[...]

And of course open to abuse as you can put 30A fuse wire in a 5A holder.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03/02/2021 09:19, Roger Hayter wrote:
Â* On 2 Feb 2021 at 19:18:52 GMT, "ARW"
wrote:
Â* On 02/02/2021 17:27, Roger Hayter wrote:
Â*Â*Â* On 2 Feb 2021 at 07:36:04 GMT, "ARW"

wrote:
Â*Â*Â* On 01/02/2021 12:30, John Rumm wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Possibly overkill in domestic so long as all the sockets
are when you
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* would expect them to be according to the main CU labels.
(e.g. if a
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* "Downstairs Sockets" label on a MCB accurately identifies
everything
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* that is controlled by it without exceptions).

Â*Â*Â* http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:EICRfail.jpg

Â*Â*Â* Last thing I saw at work yesterday.

Â*Â*Â* That is as how I found it.

Â*Â*Â* TT installation with no RCD or ELCB.
Â*Â*Â* Is the brown one a replaceable wire fuse or a cartridge fuse?

Â* Blue one? ie blue dots on it?
Â* That's right. I've forgotten the colour code.

White = 5A, Blue = 15A, Red = 30A, and the less common Yellow = 20A, and
Green = 45A

The last fusebox I remember as a child had ceramic fuseholders and
Woolworth's
fuse wire was 5A, 15A and 30A as I remember.Â* I've probably got some
somewhere.

And of course open to abuse as you can put 30A fuse wire in a 5A holder.

Although credit to wylex, they did at least make it impossible to plug a
30A fuse carrier into a base intended to accept a lower rated fuse. So
that prevents abuse by those not versed in the art of the screwdriver!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/02/2021 20:32, John Rumm wrote:
On 03/02/2021 18:34, ARW wrote:

And of course open to abuse as you can put 30A fuse wire in a 5A holder.

Although credit to wylex, they did at least make it impossible to plug a
30A fuse carrier into a base intended to accept a lower rated fuse. So
that prevents abuse by those not versed in the art of the screwdriver!

What bases:-)?

Look again at the 32A plug in MCBs.....

But it gets worse. The installation was covered with a free standing
unit that I managed to pull over when I tried to open the door and her
husbands ashes were on top of that unit along with a vase full of
flowers and water.

There were a few tears as she mopped up the laminate floor.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2021 18:34, ARW wrote:

And of course open to abuse as you can put 30A fuse wire in a 5A holder.

Although credit to wylex, they did at least make it impossible to plug
a 30A fuse carrier into a base intended to accept a lower rated fuse.
So that prevents abuse by those not versed in the art of the screwdriver!

What bases:-)?

Look again at the 32A plug in MCBs.....

Yeah, I see what you mean... Still the point kind of still stands - you
would not get them into the 20 or 5A positions since they do appear to
have the bases in place! :-)

But it gets worse. The installation was covered with a free standing
unit that I managed to pull over when I tried to open the door and her
husbands ashes were on top of that unit along with a vase full of
flowers and water.

Could have been (slightly) worse - they could have fallen into the CU
instead.

There were a few tears as she mopped up the laminate floor.

Yours or hers?

--
Cheers,

John.

Volt sticks+ newshound UK diy 20 November 5th 18 08:27 PM
Do "volt sticks" work on armoured cable? Tim+[_5_] UK diy 23 March 21st 16 10:54 AM
Slip Sticks & Story Sticks charlie b Woodworking 8 February 27th 06 04:00 PM
Run a 9.6 volt Makita drill off 12 volt car battery - voltatage dropping resistor ? [email protected] Electronics Repair 10 January 3rd 05 04:13 AM
Can you derive a 110 volt outlet from a 4 wire 220 volt in the US? Steven Kingsley Home Repair 30 August 1st 03 06:34 AM