Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Speedfit come unscewed

A heads up as much as anything.

Addressing a torrent of water ****ing down a wall I ran for the stopcock
and then found a (mercifully easily accessible) speedfit elbow had come
completely unscrewed.

Anyone who has used them will know you can unscrew them partly normally
to release the grip on the pipe, and entirely with a bit of force but
this one offers no resistance at all until it's completely apart. And
has managed to rattle/wriggle itself free.

Pics below in case you want to avoid, I would, brand looks like TLC.
I've no idea where it came from oddly i've no others like it fitted or
in my toolbox. So i've either bought it as a one off (doubtful, I like
spares) or inherited it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MM1...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MIO...ew?usp=sharing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2021 15:21, R D S wrote:
A heads up as much as anything.

Addressing a torrent of water ****ing down a wall I ran for the stopcock
and then found a (mercifully easily accessible) speedfit elbow had come
completely unscrewed.

Anyone who has used them will know you can unscrew them partly normally
to release the grip on the pipe, and entirely with a bit of force but
this one offers no resistance at all until it's completely apart. And
has managed to rattle/wriggle itself free.

Pics below in case you want to avoid, I would, brand looks like TLC.
I've no idea where it came from oddly i've no others like it fitted or
in my toolbox. So i've either bought it as a one off (doubtful, I like
spares) or inherited it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MM1...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MIO...ew?usp=sharing

Pretty certainly not a JG-Speedfit - I've not had any problems with those.

I thought TLC sold electrical stuff - not plumbing?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

A heads up as much as anything.

Addressing a torrent of water ****ing down a wall I ran for the stopcock
and then found a (mercifully easily accessible) speedfit elbow had come
completely unscrewed.

as someone else said, it's not a true Speedfit(R)

did and/or should it have an insert?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 January 2021 at 15:21:21 UTC, R D S wrote:
A heads up as much as anything.

Addressing a torrent of water ****ing down a wall I ran for the stopcock
and then found a (mercifully easily accessible) speedfit elbow had come
completely unscrewed.

Anyone who has used them will know you can unscrew them partly normally
to release the grip on the pipe, and entirely with a bit of force but
this one offers no resistance at all until it's completely apart. And
has managed to rattle/wriggle itself free.

Pics below in case you want to avoid, I would, brand looks like TLC.
I've no idea where it came from oddly i've no others like it fitted or
in my toolbox. So i've either bought it as a one off (doubtful, I like
spares) or inherited it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MM1...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MIO...ew?usp=sharing

Could it be a JG Twist & Lock?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2021 18:05, Andy Burns wrote:

did and/or should it have an insert?

Yes, it had an insert, but it wasn't that the pipe had popped out of the
fitting, but the fitting itself had come apart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2021 17:23, Roger Mills wrote:

Pretty certainly not a JG-Speedfit - I've not had any problems with those.

Me neither.

I thought TLC sold electrical stuff - not plumbing?

I'm pretty sure it's not the TLC we are familiar with. But if you see
the letters embossed on pushfit plumbing connectors give it a swerve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2021 15:21, R D S wrote:
A heads up as much as anything.

Addressing a torrent of water ****ing down a wall I ran for the stopcock
and then found a (mercifully easily accessible) speedfit elbow had come
completely unscrewed.

Anyone who has used them will know you can unscrew them partly normally
to release the grip on the pipe, and entirely with a bit of force but
this one offers no resistance at all until it's completely apart. And
has managed to rattle/wriggle itself free.

Pics below in case you want to avoid, I would, brand looks like TLC.
I've no idea where it came from oddly i've no others like it fitted or
in my toolbox. So i've either bought it as a one off (doubtful, I like
spares) or inherited it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MM1...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MIO...ew?usp=sharing

I passed this on to a friend who retired recently from a senior position
in the plastic plumbing industry. He says it looks like a Chinese
counterfeit product.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
A heads up as much as anything.

Addressing a torrent of water ****ing down a wall I ran for the stopcock
and then found a (mercifully easily accessible) speedfit elbow had come
completely unscrewed.

Anyone who has used them will know you can unscrew them partly normally
to release the grip on the pipe, and entirely with a bit of force but
this one offers no resistance at all until it's completely apart. And
has managed to rattle/wriggle itself free.

Pics below in case you want to avoid, I would, brand looks like TLC.
I've no idea where it came from oddly i've no others like it fitted or
in my toolbox. So i've either bought it as a one off (doubtful, I like
spares) or inherited it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MM1...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MIO...ew?usp=sharing

Glad I acquired the skills and tools to use copper. ;-) It's also very
satisfying to make a neat job with it. When taps and radiators and boilers
are plastic I'll likely change.

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Glad I acquired the skills and tools to use copper. ;-) It's also very
satisfying to make a neat job with it. When taps and radiators and boilers
are plastic I'll likely change.

I'd agree with you to a degree and had always used copper in the past
and still would with any plumbing at home where it's visible.

I tend to go with plastic at work where aesthetics matter less.

I have to say i've done a fair amount of plumbing mains water with
plastic over the years and have had no real bother, this part that
failed is plainly a cheapo piece of crap. I'd love to know how I came
about it, it's probably come from the 'pound shop' when the normal
haunts have been shut while i've been doing a job on a Sunday and been
one elbow short.
I'll have a look next time i'm in.

I became less inclined to look down on plastic when I had to rip my
landing floor up to investigate a stain on the ceiling and found a
pinhole leak in a length of copper.

Life is full of uncertainty but there always seems to be water dripping
through a ####ing ceiling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2021 11:39, R D S wrote:
[...]

I have that problem with leaking windscreens on cars.
My Astra Mk 3 (dark metallic blue) was always parked
so that full sun hit the passenger side. When it was 14
years old the passenger footwell started developing a
puddle. Turned out that the mastic on the spotwelded joint
that runs the length of the roof and normally hidden by a
plastic trim trip had cracked and when crud accumulated
under the trim strip, water found its way inside and
down the A pillar.