Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cuprinol Wood Preserver

I've just used the very last of my 5L tin of VOC Cuprinol Wood
Preserver, and am looking for a successor. Modern stuff appears to be
water-based but contains the same active ingredient. However, there are
some wood preservers out there that also have the same stuff in them but
are half the price of Cuprinol. Are these any good?

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:50:00 +0000, Spike wrote:

I've just used the very last of my 5L tin of VOC Cuprinol Wood
Preserver, and am looking for a successor. Modern stuff appears to be
water-based but contains the same active ingredient. However, there are
some wood preservers out there that also have the same stuff in them but
are half the price of Cuprinol. Are these any good?

Some high VOC he
https://www.wickes.co.uk/search?q=wo...ood+preserver#

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2021 14:50, Spike wrote:

I've just used the very last of my 5L tin of VOC Cuprinol Wood
Preserver, and am looking for a successor. Modern stuff appears to be
water-based but contains the same active ingredient. However, there are
some wood preservers out there that also have the same stuff in them but
are half the price of Cuprinol. Are these any good?

The Barrettine stuff seems good:

https://www.toolstation.com/wood-pro...ment-5l/p93006

This was the golden / light brown version:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...sStaining.jpeg

and some of the dark brown on an arch:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...kyPostCaps.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2021 17:20, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:50:00 +0000, Spike wrote:

I've just used the very last of my 5L tin of VOC Cuprinol Wood
Preserver, and am looking for a successor. Modern stuff appears to be
water-based but contains the same active ingredient. However, there are
some wood preservers out there that also have the same stuff in them but
are half the price of Cuprinol. Are these any good?

Some high VOC he
https://www.wickes.co.uk/search?q=wo...ood+preserver#

Many thanks for the link. Having been used to using VOC wood preservers
seemingly for ever, going with what one is used to is the safe way
forward. However, I am aware that the odour from applying a VOC
preserver can leave a pong floating about for a day or two depending on
conditions, hence my initial interest in water-based preservers. Having
said that, it's good to know that VOC stuff is still available.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2021 17:56, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/01/2021 14:50, Spike wrote:

I've just used the very last of my 5L tin of VOC Cuprinol Wood
Preserver, and am looking for a successor. Modern stuff appears to be
water-based but contains the same active ingredient. However, there are
some wood preservers out there that also have the same stuff in them but
are half the price of Cuprinol. Are these any good?

The Barrettine stuff seems good:

https://www.toolstation.com/wood-pro...ment-5l/p93006

This was the golden / light brown version:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...sStaining.jpeg

and some of the dark brown on an arch:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...kyPostCaps.jpg

Many thanks for the info and useful photos. It's interesting to see that
VOC preservers are still available and now in low-odour form. I've never
used Barrettine products before, but they have good reviews so I guess
it's time to try something new.

--
Spike