Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cuprinol or some other timber preserver

A few years ago I used Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear such as these

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg3Njg=/z/c0MAAOSwTuJYqXR7/$_86.JPG
https://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/...clear_(bp).jsp

Although the product was applied thoroughly I heard years later that one
of the pieces of wood was rotting. Perhaps that piece was a rogue in
some way; the problem may not be with the Cuprinol.

Either way, is there a better preservative?

Ideally, I want something which is going to seep deeply in to the wood,
not cover the surface.

--
James Harris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2017 10:04, James Harris wrote:
A few years ago I used Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear such as these

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg3Njg=/z/c0MAAOSwTuJYqXR7/$_86.JPG
https://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/...clear_(bp).jsp

Although the product was applied thoroughly I heard years later that one
of the pieces of wood was rotting. Perhaps that piece was a rogue in
some way; the problem may not be with the Cuprinol.

Either way, is there a better preservative?

Ideally, I want something which is going to seep deeply in to the wood,
not cover the surface.

Incidentally, having read up on 'current' wood preserving I have seen
recommendations to use paint or varnish.

AISI paint would only cover the surface, and my memory of varnish is
that it starts flaking off after a few years. Unless varnish has changed
in recent years I guess that it would still sit on the surface and while
it might be great initially it would still be a pain in the long term.

And any effective surface covering would probably lock any residual
moisture in.

Happy to be corrected. Maybe modern varnishes are better. Have avoided
them for years.

--
James Harris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , James Harris
writes

Happy to be corrected. Maybe modern varnishes are better. Have avoided
them for years.

I agree with your thoughts on varnish, and can only advise that my best
results were using Sadolin, although cannot remember exactly which
'flavour' - there seem to be many these days.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 10:04:24 +0000, James Harris wrote:

A few years ago I used Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear such as these

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg3Njg=/z/c0MAAOSwTuJYqXR7/$_86.JPG
https://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/...clear_(bp).jsp

Although the product was applied thoroughly I heard years later that one
of the pieces of wood was rotting. Perhaps that piece was a rogue in
some way; the problem may not be with the Cuprinol.

Either way, is there a better preservative?

Ideally, I want something which is going to seep deeply in to the wood,
not cover the surface.

It would help if you said where the timber was, what the timber was and if
it was subject to standing water at any time. Also how long ago.

Not many wood preservatives will protect soft wood which is in a
permanently damp location over winter, for example.

Timber fence panels are a good example. However well treated the bottom
bar tends to rot away far sooner than the rest because it is more exposed
to long term damp.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Harris wrote:
A few years ago I used Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear such as these

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg3Njg=/z/c0MAAOSwTuJYqXR7/$_86.JPG
https://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/...clear_(bp).jsp

Although the product was applied thoroughly I heard years later that one
of the pieces of wood was rotting. Perhaps that piece was a rogue in
some way; the problem may not be with the Cuprinol.

Either way, is there a better preservative?

Ideally, I want something which is going to seep deeply in to the wood,
not cover the surface.

Real Creosote which can still be bought online is still the best for
longevity and penetration. Ends of posts can be stood in a bucket of it
for days before installation. Google for bird brand to find one source.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
James Harris wrote:
A few years ago I used Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear such as these

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg3Njg=/z/c0MAAOSwTuJYqXR7/$_86.JPG
https://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/...clear_(bp).jsp

Although the product was applied thoroughly I heard years later that one
of the pieces of wood was rotting. Perhaps that piece was a rogue in
some way; the problem may not be with the Cuprinol.

Either way, is there a better preservative?

Ideally, I want something which is going to seep deeply in to the wood,
not cover the surface.

Even pressure treated rubbish wood isn't going to have the long life of
decent stuff. And much of the wood you can buy today is rubbish, compared
to structural timber used before WW1 or so.

In other words, you replace a bit of rotten Victorian timber with new. The
original having lasted well over 100 years. Very little chance the new
will last as long.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

In article ,
James Harris wrote:
[...]

I seem to remember that elm was reckoned to be a good timber to use in
wet conditions. Don't spose it is available nowadays.

Steve

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Real Creosote which can still be bought online is still the best for
longevity and penetration.

While turfing out some old tins of paint from the shed, I found a gallon
of real creosote I had forgotten about (of course I immediately disposed
of it).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2017 16:55, Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

Real Creosote which can still be bought online is still the best for
longevity and penetration.

While turfing out some old tins of paint from the shed, I found a gallon
of real creosote I had forgotten about (of course I immediately disposed
of it).

Its not much use as a brush on treatment, the stuff painted with it rots.
You might get better results if you have a vacuum chamber to get it into
the wood but there are better things to use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

While turfing out some old tins of paint from the shed, I found a gallon
of real creosote I had forgotten about

Its not much use as a brush on treatment, the stuff painted with it rots.

I can't remember why I ever had it, none of the three fences around my
garden belong to me, though I do 'paint' my side of two of them.

One neighbour always used to use a mixture of creosote and old engine
oil on his part, the panels have lasted 27 years plus however long they
were there before I arrived, the posts have rotted where they were set
in concrete so we've replaced them with metposts and anchor bolts over
the years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 March 2017 10:04:32 UTC, James Harris wrote:
A few years ago I used Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear such as these

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg3Njg=/z/c0MAAOSwTuJYqXR7/$_86.JPG
https://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/...clear_(bp).jsp

Although the product was applied thoroughly I heard years later that one
of the pieces of wood was rotting. Perhaps that piece was a rogue in
some way; the problem may not be with the Cuprinol.

Either way, is there a better preservative?

Ideally, I want something which is going to seep deeply in to the wood,
not cover the surface.

--
James Harris

In days of yore, wood preserver was laced with copper and arsenic.
Not any more and the stuff is ****e.
You can blame regulations from the EUSSR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromated_copper_arsenate
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2017 11:15, David wrote:
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 10:04:24 +0000, James Harris wrote:

A few years ago I used Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear such as these

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg3Njg=/z/c0MAAOSwTuJYqXR7/$_86.JPG
https://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/...clear_(bp).jsp

Although the product was applied thoroughly I heard years later that one
of the pieces of wood was rotting. Perhaps that piece was a rogue in
some way; the problem may not be with the Cuprinol.

Either way, is there a better preservative?

Ideally, I want something which is going to seep deeply in to the wood,
not cover the surface.

It would help if you said where the timber was, what the timber was and if
it was subject to standing water at any time. Also how long ago.

I don't know what the timber was but it was at the bottom of a door so
for all I know it could have been in an area in which rainwater
accumulated to some degree, perhaps on the surface. I guess it was two
or three years after application.

Not a problem now. Past history.

--
James Harris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2017 14:55, Steve B wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article ,
James Harris wrote:
[...]

Very true. I guess that it's now hard to find quality timber and it
would be horrendously expensive - partly because of lack of demand (ply
and DIY-store softwoods having taken the market) and partly because
stores selling such wood would be rare.

I seem to remember that elm was reckoned to be a good timber to use in
wet conditions. Don't spose it is available nowadays.

Maybe teak would be best...?

--
James Harris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2017 10:25, Graeme wrote:
In message , James Harris
writes

Happy to be corrected. Maybe modern varnishes are better. Have avoided
them for years.

I agree with your thoughts on varnish, and can only advise that my best
results were using Sadolin, although cannot remember exactly which
'flavour' - there seem to be many these days.

Yes, too many. The firms ought to have product selectors.

--
James Harris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 6:28:45 PM UTC, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 March 2017 10:04:32 UTC, James Harris wrote:
A few years ago I used Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear such as these

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg3Njg=/z/c0MAAOSwTuJYqXR7/$_86.JPG
https://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/...clear_(bp).jsp

Although the product was applied thoroughly I heard years later that one
of the pieces of wood was rotting. Perhaps that piece was a rogue in
some way; the problem may not be with the Cuprinol.

Either way, is there a better preservative?

Ideally, I want something which is going to seep deeply in to the wood,
not cover the surface.

--
James Harris

In days of yore, wood preserver was laced with copper and arsenic.
Not any more and the stuff is ****e.
You can blame regulations from the EUSSR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromated_copper_arsenate

'Blame'? Congratulate more like it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

In days of yore, wood preserver was laced with copper and arsenic.
Not any more and the stuff is ****e.
You can blame regulations from the EUSSR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromated_copper_arsenate

'Blame'? Congratulate more like it.

Save your effort, Harry has gone full UKIP.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/22/2017 2:55 PM, Steve B wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article ,
James Harris wrote:
[...]

I've successfully used modern green oak to replace the rotten, outer
part of window lintels in my 18th century cottage. (Walls are more than
2 feet thick, lintel appears to be made up from several 5x5s. The
outermost one was certainly a separate piece).