Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Head Lamp recommendations

Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where
hands free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it
really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v
80mAh NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...aaa-batteries-

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 21:39:53 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where hands
free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it
really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v 80mAh
NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...ghts/products/

bc7b3393829/cob-led-head-lamp-lamp-3w-3-x-aaa-batteries-

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

SWMBO loves Petzl for camping. IO bought one and am also very pleased for
work round the house and garden.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Dec 2020 21:53:00 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 21:39:53 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where hands
free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it
really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v 80mAh
NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...ghts/products/

bc7b3393829/cob-led-head-lamp-lamp-3w-3-x-aaa-batteries-

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

SWMBO loves Petzl for camping. IO bought one and am also very pleased for
work round the house and garden.

+3 (we all had one). ;-)

Petzl Zipka here, no straps to get caught up in everything else in
your pocket (recoiling headband), very light, 3 x AAA, well built,
good light ...

https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Sport/C...eadlamps/ZIPKA

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Dec 2020 at 23:00:53 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

[...]

I've an oldish Petzl - does the job well, but I find the light dips
considerably after about 20 minutes using AAA rechargeables. I'm inclined to
try their rechargeable pack, but at £20 . . .

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 21:39, AnthonyL wrote:
Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where
hands free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it
really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v
80mAh NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...aaa-batteries-

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

I used head torches extensively all my working life. I've had quite a
few, but the Ledlenser H7R.2 is the best:

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/power-to...06cf 0a180512

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Was it the gadget show or somewhere else where they demonstrated a pair of
safety glasses with LEDs around the outside of the lens aimed forward so
they illuminated the item being looked at. I remember the battery was worn
on a belt clip.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where
hands free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it
really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v
80mAh NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...aaa-batteries-

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , RJH
writes
[...]

I was gifted a *beanie* head lamp for Christmas. Rechargeable led choice
of red/white/flashing!

Handy if I ever go cycling after dark as the Beanie doesn't care which
way it is worn.

Strong reservations about head mounted lights as they blind whoever you
look at:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 21:39, AnthonyL wrote:
Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where
hands free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it
really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v
80mAh NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...aaa-batteries-

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

That looks OK to me. I have several of these (I think they used to come
in packs of three)

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/OMERIL-He...Y2s9dHJ1Z Q==

For the amount we use them I just use disposables.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 02:03:22 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

I've an oldish Petzl - does the job well, but I find the light dips
considerably after about 20 minutes using AAA rechargeables.

I think that used to be part of the design ... and the battery voltage
dropped past a certain threshold it turned off the outer two LEDS to
give you *some* light.

Given that 3 x NiMh are nominally only 3.6V and 3 x alkaline 4.5, it
makes sense such a light might go into 'energy conservancy mode'
quicker on rechargeables.

I think my Garmin GPS3+ and V had a setting for dry or rechargeables
for that very reason (low battery warning).

I'm inclined to
try their rechargeable pack, but at £20 . . .

We used to just use good Alkaline in ours as one set would easily last
a 2 week camping holiday and if out walking would carry a couple of
spare sets 'in case'.

If using them at home we might use rechargeables as we had a good few
ready to go. ;-)

The key thing about ours was the simplicity and ease of use of the
recoiling headband (Zipka). It really turns it from a bulky / tangly
'lump' into something more like an egg, very easy to slip into even a
trouser pocket and we could put any one on (of the three) and they all
*automagically* fitted each others heads (or post, leg, car wing
mirror etc).

It can also be worn over a hat *without* any extra / different
adjustment.

eg, The USP for the Petzl Zipka wasn't specifically the light (which
was good, long lasting), the weight (lighter than most), or the price
(not particularly 'cheap'), but how convenient it was in / to use, to
the point that all the other cheaper / brighter / more-variable
headlights we have here stay in the draw unused.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2020 09:30, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , RJH writes
On 29 Dec 2020 at 23:00:53 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

On 29 Dec 2020 21:53:00 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 21:39:53 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

Â*Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where
hands
Â*free and a bit of extra light needed.

Â*I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger
but it
Â*really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v
80mAh
Â*NiMh batteries).

Â*I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

Â*So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

Â*https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...ghts/products/
bc7b3393829/cob-led-head-lamp-lamp-3w-3-x-aaa-batteries-

Â*but some practical recommendations welcomed.

[...]

You seem to have missed the irony in your post. "Handy if I ever go
cycling after dark as the Beanie doesn't care which way it is worn."
"Strong reservations about head mounted lights as they blind whoever you
look at"
Not only do they dazzle but the light pattern confuses other road users,
to the detriment of everyone's safety. Grrr!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where
hands free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it
really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v
80mAh NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...aaa-batteries-

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

As far as I know you can't get cheaper than those from Poundland.

--
Regards
wasbit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 21:39, AnthonyL wrote:

Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where
hands free and a bit of extra light needed.

If the Poundland head lamps in Big Clive's video at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqLy...ature=youtu.be are still
available they're worth considering. Lightweight and compact with bright
wide coverage even at the lower power setting but they do run the AAA
batteries down quickly if used on full power for very long.

I bought a couple a few months ago and have been quite impressed with them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where
hands free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it
really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v
80mAh NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...aaa-batteries-

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

I got one as an Xmas pressie. Takes 3 AAA - or remove that holder and one
18650. Which suits be as I use them for other things.

Has one 'tight' beam or four for a wider coverage. Or run all together. It
also has a flashing mode. No idea why.

--
*England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes

*
[...]

Quite! I was envisaging wearing it backwards on red. While I do have a
bike and can still ride, at 77+3 days it is unlikely to happen.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2020 09:38, newshound wrote:
On 29/12/2020 21:39, AnthonyL wrote:
Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where
hands free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it
really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v
80mAh NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...aaa-batteries-

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

That looks OK to me. I have several of these (I think they used to come
in packs of three)

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/OMERIL-He...Y2s9dHJ1Z Q==

For the amount we use them I just use disposables.

I just fixed mine with hot glue and a slide switch - the on off button
had failed

Everyone should have a similar hands free torch Not worth using
rechargeables - unless you use it all the time

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 09:30:05 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

I was gifted a *beanie* head lamp for Christmas. Rechargeable led choice
of red/white/flashing!

Handy if I ever go cycling after dark as the Beanie doesn't care which
way it is worn.

Strong reservations about head mounted lights as they blind whoever you
look at:-(

If it's a good one it will point the light down at a reasonable angle
and so should be 'ok' at social distances.

You could get the same effect with your Beanie if you pulled the led
part down over your Neanderthal brow. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Dec 2020 at 10:05:13 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 02:03:22 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

I've an oldish Petzl - does the job well, but I find the light dips
considerably after about 20 minutes using AAA rechargeables.

I think that used to be part of the design ... and the battery voltage
dropped past a certain threshold it turned off the outer two LEDS to
give you *some* light.

This one seems to have only 1 LED.

Given that 3 x NiMh are nominally only 3.6V and 3 x alkaline 4.5, it
makes sense such a light might go into 'energy conservancy mode'
quicker on rechargeables.

OOI, do you happen to know how a Lithium pack could work - I thought they came
in multiples of 3.7V?

I think my Garmin GPS3+ and V had a setting for dry or rechargeables
for that very reason (low battery warning).

I'm inclined to
try their rechargeable pack, but at £20 . . .

We used to just use good Alkaline in ours as one set would easily last
a 2 week camping holiday and if out walking would carry a couple of
spare sets 'in case'.

Yes, I do try to avoid disposables if I can.

[...]

Well, suitably jealous, and it would be sold if the current one packed up :-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 17:59:16 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

On 30 Dec 2020 at 10:05:13 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 02:03:22 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

I've an oldish Petzl - does the job well, but I find the light dips
considerably after about 20 minutes using AAA rechargeables.

I think that used to be part of the design ... and the battery voltage
dropped past a certain threshold it turned off the outer two LEDS to
give you *some* light.

This one seems to have only 1 LED.

Ah yes, I was talking about our Zipkas. ;-)

Given that 3 x NiMh are nominally only 3.6V and 3 x alkaline 4.5, it
makes sense such a light might go into 'energy conservancy mode'
quicker on rechargeables.

OOI, do you happen to know how a Lithium pack could work - I thought they came
in multiples of 3.7V?

Yes, I believe they do but given these new models are 'smart' (3
brightness levels) the chances it will regulate any power supply
voltage down to something stable (3 x NiMH / Lipo being the lowest).

snip

We used to just use good Alkaline in ours as one set would easily last
a 2 week camping holiday and if out walking would carry a couple of
spare sets 'in case'.

Yes, I do try to avoid disposables if I can.

So do we for pretty anything used when at or based from home. Whilst
we used to take a 5W solar panel with us when motorcycle camping, you
could never *really* guarantee enough sun at the right times (when we
were camping) to bring all our other batteries up to 100%.

snip

eg, The USP for the Petzl Zipka wasn't specifically the light (which
was good, long lasting), the weight (lighter than most), or the price
(not particularly 'cheap'), but how convenient it was in / to use, to
the point that all the other cheaper / brighter / more-variable
headlights we have here stay in the draw unused.

Well, suitably jealous, and it would be sold if the current one packed up :-)

There are some things out there I'm happy to recommend to others (and
would replace if it packed up etc), the Petzl Zipka head torches being
one (and daughters tree climbing harness and safety helmet are also
Petzl and seem to be good gear), the Leatherman multitools tools (and
particularly the PST II, for an everyday carry) and the Garmin range
of GPS's (had one since they first came out and they have all been
brilliant) ... oh, and the MagLite torches etc.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 06:15:47 +0000, williamwright
wrote:

On 29/12/2020 21:39, AnthonyL wrote:
Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where
hands free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it
really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v
80mAh NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...aaa-batteries-

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

I used head torches extensively all my working life. I've had quite a
few, but the Ledlenser H7R.2 is the best:

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/power-to...06cf 0a180512

Yes, I note one of the guys on The Repair Shop has one of those. But
I'm not going to be an extensive user so I was hoping for something a
bit more in my pay grade - we didn't all work in lofty positions you
know.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 09:38:26 +0000, newshound
wrote:

On 29/12/2020 21:39, AnthonyL wrote:
Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where
hands free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it
really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v
80mAh NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...aaa-batteries-

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

That looks OK to me. I have several of these (I think they used to come
in packs of three)

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/OMERIL-He...Y2s9dHJ1Z Q==

For the amount we use them I just use disposables.

Batteries you mean, or the whole lamp?

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:38:26 -0000, "wasbit"
wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where
hands free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it
really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v
80mAh NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...aaa-batteries-

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

As far as I know you can't get cheaper than those from Poundland.

How much did you say they were ?

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 30 Dec 2020 at 10:05:13 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 02:03:22 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

[...]

Yes, my BiL recommended them to me - and no regrets. Must be 10 years old
now.

the Leatherman multitools tools (and
particularly the PST II, for an everyday carry) and the Garmin range
of GPS's (had one since they first came out and they have all been
brilliant) ... oh, and the MagLite torches etc.

Swiss Army Knife maybe. Bahco and Wera tools. Sorts of things that might cost
many times more than a Lidl equivalent but last forever, work, and are a
pleasure to use. Even I can monetise that :-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2020 22:53, AnthonyL wrote:

Yes, I note one of the guys on The Repair Shop has one of those. But
I'm not going to be an extensive user so I was hoping for something a
bit more in my pay grade - we didn't all work in lofty positions you
know.

Get a good one and it will last forever.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 18:32:47 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

There are some things out there I'm happy to recommend to others (and
would replace if it packed up etc), the Petzl Zipka head torches being
one (and daughters tree climbing harness and safety helmet are also
Petzl and seem to be good gear),

Yes, my BiL recommended them to me - and no regrets. Must be 10 years old
now.

Ours are probably 20+.

the Leatherman multitools tools (and
particularly the PST II, for an everyday carry) and the Garmin range
of GPS's (had one since they first came out and they have all been
brilliant) ... oh, and the MagLite torches etc.

Swiss Army Knife maybe.

Maybe. I don't know it they do multitools as I'd say I use the pliers
as much as I use anything else. On the PST II the pliers are subtle,
both strong enough to undo a nut in an emergency but fine enough to
pull a splinter etc.

https://utilityarchive.com/products/...therman-pst-ii

https://www.outsideonline.com/239885...ultitool#close

It's one of those things I've pushed way beyond what I think is safe
or reasonable (needs-must / emergencies etc) and it's held. I have
often need a crosshead screwdriver for example and none of my
dedicated tools seem to fit but the Leatherman one does, from
surprisingly small to ridiculously big.

Bahco and Wera tools. Sorts of things that might cost
many times more than a Lidl equivalent but last forever, work, and are a
pleasure to use.

I don't think I have either but have heard the name mentioned a few
times (favourably).

Even I can monetise that :-)

That's often why I ask here ... because it's easy (these days) to get
*something* that works but some personal experience often gives you
that real world feedback on something that works well and reliably and
that is invaluable.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jan 2021 18:32:47 +0000, RJH wrote:

the Leatherman multitools tools (and
particularly the PST II, for an everyday carry) and the Garmin range of
GPS's (had one since they first came out and they have all been
brilliant) ... oh, and the MagLite torches etc.

My Maglites are quite old, but I fitted an aftermarket LED kit to all of
them - mainly for when I drop them!

Swiss Army Knife maybe.

Yup. I have about six, in various places. Also two small ones on my two
keyrings (I never leave the house without at least one of them). And a
couple of Swisscards!

Bahco and Wera tools.

Absolutely. My son got me a Machine Mart voucher for my birthday and I
just bought another Wera screwdriver set. And I use the Bahco sockets all
the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Jan 2021 10:10:11 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2021 18:32:47 +0000, RJH wrote:

the Leatherman multitools tools (and
particularly the PST II, for an everyday carry) and the Garmin range of
GPS's (had one since they first came out and they have all been
brilliant) ... oh, and the MagLite torches etc.

My Maglites are quite old, but I fitted an aftermarket LED kit to all of
them - mainly for when I drop them!

I've done the same, both for their added robustness plus increased
battery life. I'm not sure the beam pattern is as good as with the
original incandescent but it would probably be better with 'their LED
upgrade kit (I did uses their kit on my Maglite Mini, along with a
pushbutton on/off end cap).

Swiss Army Knife maybe.

Yup. I have about six, in various places. Also two small ones on my two
keyrings (I never leave the house without at least one of them). And a
couple of Swisscards!

Dad, (ex Merchant navy) had a saying that 'A sailor without a knife
was like a ...' well, you could probably make your own version up ...
;-)

Bahco and Wera tools.

Absolutely. My son got me a Machine Mart voucher for my birthday and I
just bought another Wera screwdriver set.

Daughter needs a 'decent set of screwdrivers for her 'life (flat / car
/ furniture ...)' so I'll check them out.

And I use the Bahco sockets all
the time.

I still have a couple of Kamasa socket sets (1/4 and 1/2" SqDr) from
when I was a lad and most of it is still there and working. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 19:19:11 +0000, williamwright
wrote:

On 30/12/2020 22:53, AnthonyL wrote:

Yes, I note one of the guys on The Repair Shop has one of those. But
I'm not going to be an extensive user so I was hoping for something a
bit more in my pay grade - we didn't all work in lofty positions you
know.

Get a good one and it will last forever.

But I won't and my grandkids won't want them.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 29/12/2020 21:39, AnthonyL wrote:
Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where
hands free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it
really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v
80mAh NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...aaa-batteries-

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

That looks OK to me. I have several of these (I think they used to come
in packs of three)

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/OMERIL-He...Y2s9dHJ1Z Q==

For the amount we use them I just use disposables.

Batteries you mean, or the whole lamp?

Disposable batteries, it's worth having a well engineered lamp with good
straps and switches. Even in the winter I only get through a small
number of AAs and AAAs a month (and I use head torches almost every day
sorting out the equines in the evening).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 30/12/2020 22:53, AnthonyL wrote:

Yes, I note one of the guys on The Repair Shop has one of those. But
I'm not going to be an extensive user so I was hoping for something a
bit more in my pay grade - we didn't all work in lofty positions you
know.

Get a good one and it will last forever.

But I won't and my grandkids won't want them.

No but they could sell it, then drink to you with the proceeds.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 8:39:57 AM UTC+11, AnthonyL wrote:
Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where
hands free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it
really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v
80mAh NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...aaa-batteries-

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

How about this hat clip lamp-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TCBH-Torch-..._id=1938894031
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2021 10:10, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jan 2021 18:32:47 +0000, RJH wrote:

the Leatherman multitools tools (and
particularly the PST II, for an everyday carry) and the Garmin range of
GPS's (had one since they first came out and they have all been
brilliant) ... oh, and the MagLite torches etc.

My Maglites are quite old, but I fitted an aftermarket LED kit to all of
them - mainly for when I drop them!

Swiss Army Knife maybe.

Yup. I have about six, in various places. Also two small ones on my two
keyrings (I never leave the house without at least one of them). And a
couple of Swisscards!

Bahco and Wera tools.

Absolutely. My son got me a Machine Mart voucher for my birthday and I
just bought another Wera screwdriver set. And I use the Bahco sockets all
the time.

I buy WERA bits for 1/4" hex drives, they are really good quality, and
industrial diamond encrusted to stop slip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2020 10:38, wasbit wrote:
"AnthonyL" wrote in message

As far as I know you can't get cheaper than those from Poundland.

Is the 50p shop still going ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2020 06:15, williamwright wrote:
On 29/12/2020 21:39, AnthonyL wrote:
Just a simple head lamp, probably adjustable, occasional use where
hands free and a bit of extra light needed.

I have a Draper LED (one or three lights) with a hand recharger but it
really isn't very bright and doesn't retain charge for long (3.6v
80mAh NiMh batteries).

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 AAA and I'd then use Eneloop rechargeable.

So much stuff on the market - some looks sensible eg:

https://www.micksgarage.com/g/torche...aaa-batteries-

but some practical recommendations welcomed.

I used head torches extensively all my working life. I've had quite a
few, but the Ledlenser H7R.2 is the best:

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/power-to...06cf 0a180512

Bill

A quick thanks. This thread prompted me to look-around and, after some
research, to buy a H7R.2. The Ledlenser website is very pretty but also
makes it very tedious to find info and compare products; I was slightly
concerned that the H7R.2 might not be usable with regular batteries if
charging was difficult (hiking, for example) but, having bought one, I
find that it is. An excellent device and much better than my older
(relative) cheapies. Thanks again.
(BTW, Zoro had the best price by far)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/nu25