Nodge

Default New boiler question

I plan to have my old back boiler replaced with a modern combi boiler. My
plumber has said that there are new regulations coming out (April next
year?) that say that all new boilers fitted must be of the condensing type.
He says that although these are supposed to be more efficient he prefers the
existing type that he currently uses and has advised me to get one while I
still can. I think the model was a Worcester Bosch 28i. I'm concerned that
if these current ones are soon to be banned that maybe there's a good
reason. What are the pros and cons? Is there any difference in the price of
the boiler or installation?

Thanks
Nodge

Tim Mitchell

In article , Nodge
writes
I plan to have my old back boiler replaced with a modern combi boiler. My
plumber has said that there are new regulations coming out (April next
year?) that say that all new boilers fitted must be of the condensing type.
He says that although these are supposed to be more efficient he prefers the
existing type that he currently uses and has advised me to get one while I
still can. I think the model was a Worcester Bosch 28i. I'm concerned that
if these current ones are soon to be banned that maybe there's a good
reason. What are the pros and cons? Is there any difference in the price of
the boiler or installation?

Plumbers seem to prefer non-condensing boilers because it's what they
are used to... I had a terrible job finding someone to install a
condensing boiler for me. They really are more efficient though and in
my opinion worth the extra cost.
--
Tim Mitchell
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Nodge wrote:
I plan to have my old back boiler replaced with a modern combi boiler.
My plumber has said that there are new regulations coming out (April
next year?) that say that all new boilers fitted must be of the
condensing type. He says that although these are supposed to be more
efficient he prefers the existing type that he currently uses and has
advised me to get one while I still can.

Find a better plumber. He's not paying the fuel bills - you are.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:47:56 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Nodge wrote:
I plan to have my old back boiler replaced with a modern combi boiler.
My plumber has said that there are new regulations coming out (April
next year?) that say that all new boilers fitted must be of the
condensing type. He says that although these are supposed to be more
efficient he prefers the existing type that he currently uses and has
advised me to get one while I still can.

Find a better plumber. He's not paying the fuel bills - you are.

Good argument.

I'm fairly innovative is my approach partly because my income is only
partly from heating and gas work. However many fitters are very
conservative due to very plausible reasons. Mainly that there is little to
gain and much to lose by changing form a tested approach to an untried
one.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Fred

Nodge wrote:
I plan to have my old back boiler replaced with a modern combi boiler.
My plumber has said that there are new regulations coming out (April
next year?) that say that all new boilers fitted must be of the
condensing type. He says that although these are supposed to be more
efficient he prefers the existing type that he currently uses and has
advised me to get one while I still can.

Find a better plumber. He's not paying the fuel bills - you are.

Good argument.

I'm fairly innovative is my approach partly because my income is only
partly from heating and gas work. However many fitters are very
conservative due to very plausible reasons. Mainly that there is little to
gain and much to lose by changing form a tested approach to an untried
one.

Condensation boilers are tried and tested. I read the nice quote that
the Netherlands are about 10 years ahead of us with the installed base
of condensation boilers. Might be true for other areas as well ;-)

The main problem with condensation boilers is just this: condensation.
You need to have a location for the boiler where the externally
discharged condensation is not going to bother your neighbour. Not
always easy when you don't have a garden.

Fred