Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Default How about this for a motherboard burn.

This is a so-called refurbished Dell Latitude E6430 Laptop from Amazon
with a badly burnt Motherboard. It looks as if someone has put a metallic
object into the docking connector and melted the dual P channel Mosfet
PQ1303.

https://ibb.co/HXqVtzt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 10:27:43 -0000 (UTC), jon wrote:

This is a so-called refurbished Dell Latitude E6430 Laptop from Amazon
with a badly burnt Motherboard. It looks as if someone has put a metallic
object into the docking connector and melted the dual P channel Mosfet
PQ1303.

https://ibb.co/HXqVtzt

Yeah. You see what you have there is the classic Ebay/Amazon
"refurbished" laptop. Nothing out of the ordinary there at all. :-D
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jon wrote:

This is a so-called refurbished Dell Latitude E6430 Laptop from Amazon
with a badly burnt Motherboard. It looks as if someone has put a metallic
object into the docking connector and melted the dual P channel Mosfet
PQ1303.

https://ibb.co/HXqVtzt

Years ago, I recall someone at TV Centre, plugging a mains live connector
into the video input of a TV monitor. After the first monitor failed, he
tried with two morem before somebody stopped him.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2020 10:27, jon wrote:

This is a so-called refurbished

I love the term 'refurbished'.

It plainly means many different things to many different people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 12:56:18 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

Years ago, I recall someone at TV Centre, plugging a mains live connector
into the video input of a TV monitor. After the first monitor failed, he
tried with two morem before somebody stopped him.

Probably Dave Plowman after a few too many lunchtime bevvies. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Streater
wrote:
On 14 Dec 2020 at 12:56:18 GMT, charles wrote:

In article , jon wrote:

This is a so-called refurbished Dell Latitude E6430 Laptop from
Amazon with a badly burnt Motherboard. It looks as if someone has
put a metallic object into the docking connector and melted the dual
P channel Mosfet PQ1303.

https://ibb.co/HXqVtzt

Years ago, I recall someone at TV Centre, plugging a mains live
connector into the video input of a TV monitor. After the first monitor
failed, he tried with two morem before somebody stopped him.

Plug compatible, was it?

The plug to the monitor was right - but the other end of the cable had
managed to get into an open mains socket. This was before the days of
shutter sockets everywhere

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2020 14:43, charles wrote:

In article , jon wrote:

This is a so-called refurbished Dell Latitude E6430 Laptop from
Amazon with a badly burnt Motherboard. It looks as if someone has
put a metallic object into the docking connector and melted the dual
P channel Mosfet PQ1303.

https://ibb.co/HXqVtzt

Years ago, I recall someone at TV Centre, plugging a mains live
connector into the video input of a TV monitor. After the first monitor
failed, he tried with two morem before somebody stopped him.

Plug compatible, was it?

The plug to the monitor was right - but the other end of the cable had
managed to get into an open mains socket. This was before the days of
shutter sockets everywhere

How do you get coax cable into a mains socket though, shuttered
or not ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In article , jon wrote:

This is a so-called refurbished Dell Latitude E6430 Laptop from
Amazon with a badly burnt Motherboard. It looks as if someone has
put a metallic object into the docking connector and melted the
dual P channel Mosfet PQ1303.

https://ibb.co/HXqVtzt

Years ago, I recall someone at TV Centre, plugging a mains live
connector into the video input of a TV monitor. After the first
monitor failed, he tried with two morem before somebody stopped him.

Plug compatible, was it?

The plug to the monitor was right - but the other end of the cable had
managed to get into an open mains socket. This was before the days of
shutter sockets everywhere

How do you get coax cable into a mains socket though, shuttered or not ?.

The connector was one we called F&E. Centre conductor could stand well
proud of the outer ring.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:

In article , jon wrote:

This is a so-called refurbished Dell Latitude E6430 Laptop from
Amazon with a badly burnt Motherboard. It looks as if someone has
put a metallic object into the docking connector and melted the dual
P channel Mosfet PQ1303.

https://ibb.co/HXqVtzt

Years ago, I recall someone at TV Centre, plugging a mains live
connector into the video input of a TV monitor. After the first monitor
failed, he tried with two morem before somebody stopped him.

Plug compatible, was it?

The plug to the monitor was right - but the other end of the cable had
managed to get into an open mains socket. This was before the days of
shutter sockets everywhere

In the early days of TC, the mains would have been an EP4, the video an
EP3. Later mains a D&S, then Walsall gauge. Taking us up to about 40 years
ago. Zero idea what they'd use now - Powercon?

--
*OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Refurbished if you don't need the docking connection obviously.
There used to be a systems test program for Dell hardware, updated for each
version that should have spotted this on test, surely?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 10:27:43 -0000 (UTC), jon wrote:

This is a so-called refurbished Dell Latitude E6430 Laptop from Amazon
with a badly burnt Motherboard. It looks as if someone has put a metallic
object into the docking connector and melted the dual P channel Mosfet
PQ1303.

https://ibb.co/HXqVtzt

Yeah. You see what you have there is the classic Ebay/Amazon
"refurbished" laptop. Nothing out of the ordinary there at all. :-D

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/12/2020 13:08, R D S wrote:
On 14/12/2020 10:27, jon wrote:

This is a so-called refurbished

I love the term 'refurbished'.

It plainly means many different things to many different people.

To furbish something means to take something, usually something old and
shabby, and give it a polish. I'm sure that this Dell laptop was shined
up a bit before being sold, so what's the problem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 19:57:55 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Refurbished if you don't need the docking connection obviously.
There used to be a systems test program for Dell hardware, updated for
each
version that should have spotted this on test, surely?
Brian

I expect the major fault existed previously and they just got it working,
but over the time of 2 years it deteriorated.

burn, baby, burn dadiOH[_3_] Home Repair 1 June 3rd 14 08:02 PM
Burn baby burn Wes[_5_] Metalworking 0 October 7th 10 11:25 PM
Combi Boiler - To Burn Or Not To Burn Tim UK diy 7 November 6th 06 02:10 PM
Chip Capacitor & Notebook Motherboard Shock Electronics Repair 11 January 13th 04 10:25 PM
Problems using ESR Meter testing Motherboard Electrolytic Capacitors Jeremy Electronics Repair 1 September 2nd 03 08:10 PM