Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl Woodturning Lathe

I see that Lidl have got a woodturning lathe for £60. Anyone bought one?

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/park...g-lathe/p37760

Is it likely to be any good?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 17:26:10 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

I see that Lidl have got a woodturning lathe for £60. Anyone bought one?

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/park...g-lathe/p37760

Is it likely to be any good?

No. You get what you pay for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

At that price I'd expect the wood to stay still and the lathe to rotate!
grin
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Roger Mills" wrote in message
I see that Lidl have got a woodturning lathe for £60. Anyone bought one?

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/park...g-lathe/p37760

Is it likely to be any good?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 19:26, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
At that price I'd expect the wood to stay still and the lathe to rotate!
grin
Brian

I think you are both being a bit unfair. There's not much to it other
than a motor with an electronic speed controller. I'd expect it to be
fine for a beginner. The inverter stick welders are not much more than
that, and they are remarkably capable IMHO.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:
At that price I'd expect the wood to stay still and the lathe to rotate!

I think you are both being a bit unfair.

It looks rather like their clone of that Bosch pillar drill, laid on its
side and a tailstock bolted on instead of a table ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 November 2020 at 17:26:16 UTC, Roger Mills wrote:
I see that Lidl have got a woodturning lathe for £60. Anyone bought one?

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/park...g-lathe/p37760

Is it likely to be any good?

Have a look he

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/lidl-lathe.120287/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 17:26:10, Roger Mills wrote:
I see that Lidl have got a woodturning lathe for £60. Anyone bought one?

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/park...g-lathe/p37760

Is it likely to be any good?

More power required:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4UEhVkttNs
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
I see that Lidl have got a woodturning lathe for £60. Anyone bought one?

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/park...g-lathe/p37760

Is it likely to be any good?

Depends on your ability.
For someone who hasn't turned before it will be a steep learning curve.
I believe the lathe has an uncommon thread which makes sourcing a chuck
difficult so the upgrade path is to a new & better lathe.
The two chisels will just about get you started - if you can get them sharp.
Then you need a method of sharpening the tools which is normally a bench
grinder.
Then you really need better chisels = more expense, but you will probably
need those anyway.
So for small spindle items & gentle cuts it will get you turning but not
much more.

--
Regards
wasbit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 19:41, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:
At that price I'd expect the wood to stay still and the lathe to

rotate!

I think you are both being a bit unfair.

It looks rather like their clone of that Bosch pillar drill, laid on its
side and a tailstock bolted on instead of a table ...

And why not? Quite a bit of common hardware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 November 2020 at 19:41:13 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
At that price I'd expect the wood to stay still and the lathe to rotate!

I think you are both being a bit unfair.

It looks rather like their clone of that Bosch pillar drill, laid on its
side and a tailstock bolted on instead of a table ...

I remember the early Wolf electric drill multi use accessory. A piece that screwed down to the bench and held the drill, plus a steel bar which could connect this to another part with screw down options that could be used as a tailstock or a drilling table and yet another piece to attach to the steel bar and form a tool rest to enable the thing to be a wood turning lathe. I had one as a boy and it was my pride and joy.