Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default aluminium cover strips at doorway carpet joints

Some of mine are carpet to carpet, others are carpet to tile.
With several of them the carpet has moved/shrunk, exposing a ragged
edge. I would like to replace the aluminium strips with wider ones to
compensate.

I've tried to gently lever one or two up but they seem very resistant.
The floor beneath is concrete to which the strips seem very firmly
fixed. Not having much idea how to remove and replace them I'd much
appreciate some advice.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Halmarack explained on 16/11/2020 :
I've tried to gently lever one or two up but they seem very resistant.
The floor beneath is concrete to which the strips seem very firmly
fixed. Not having much idea how to remove and replace them I'd much
appreciate some advice.

They are probably glued down to the concrete and likely a type where
the carpet is pushed into a slot which has a sharp series of tangs to
retain the carpet at either side.

Rather than removing the existing strip, you might find it more
sensible to fit a flat strip joiner over the top. Drilling and fixing
with screws through your existing strip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 09:25:22 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

Mike Halmarack explained on 16/11/2020 :
I've tried to gently lever one or two up but they seem very resistant.
The floor beneath is concrete to which the strips seem very firmly
fixed. Not having much idea how to remove and replace them I'd much
appreciate some advice.

They are probably glued down to the concrete and likely a type where
the carpet is pushed into a slot which has a sharp series of tangs to
retain the carpet at either side.

Rather than removing the existing strip, you might find it more
sensible to fit a flat strip joiner over the top. Drilling and fixing
with screws through your existing strip.

Thanks harry, that seems like a fairly trouble free solution.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

The ones I've removed were nailed into the concrete - presumably
hardened steel nails driven in with a nail-gun. The cover strip wasn't
reusable after I'd removed it!

Nailed, or sometimes epoxied.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2020 12:57, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

The ones I've removed were nailed into the concrete - presumably
hardened steel nails driven in with a nail-gun. The cover strip wasn't
reusable after I'd removed it!

Nailed, or sometimes epoxied.

Some of mine on a concrete floor were glued with something like no more
nails. As were the carpet edge nail strips.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

The ones I've removed were nailed into the concrete - presumably
hardened steel nails driven in with a nail-gun. The cover strip wasn't
reusable after I'd removed it!

Nailed, or sometimes epoxied.

I once had a house with a solid floor where the carpet bar had
obviously come adrift having been glued down. The previous owner
had just put a long screw through it, but this appeared to have
penetrated a damp membrane, so a bit of digging out and epoxy
dribbling was called for.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 11:31:10 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 09:16:20 +0000, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

Some of mine are carpet to carpet, others are carpet to tile.
With several of them the carpet has moved/shrunk, exposing a ragged
edge. I would like to replace the aluminium strips with wider ones to
compensate.

I've tried to gently lever one or two up but they seem very resistant.
The floor beneath is concrete to which the strips seem very firmly
fixed. Not having much idea how to remove and replace them I'd much
appreciate some advice.
--

The ones I've removed were nailed into the concrete - presumably
hardened steel nails driven in with a nail-gun. The cover strip wasn't
reusable after I'd removed it!

There are no nail or screw heads visible on the surface.
Maybe the strips come in 2 parts. The bit that gets nailed and a clip
-on top?
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Would that not hit doors and cause a trip hazard. Is there nowhere in the
house where you can see an end to see what is going on. If its only glue,
then I guess getting them off is the least of the worry. If they were in
slots and you have a gap it sounds like they were not very well secured. If
you can see the carpet edges, surely you can see the edge of the bottom part
of the strip?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
Mike Halmarack explained on 16/11/2020 :
I've tried to gently lever one or two up but they seem very resistant.
The floor beneath is concrete to which the strips seem very firmly
fixed. Not having much idea how to remove and replace them I'd much
appreciate some advice.

They are probably glued down to the concrete and likely a type where the
carpet is pushed into a slot which has a sharp series of tangs to retain
the carpet at either side.

Rather than removing the existing strip, you might find it more sensible
to fit a flat strip joiner over the top. Drilling and fixing with screws
through your existing strip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) explained :
If they were in slots and you have a gap it sounds like they were not very
well secured. If you can see the carpet edges, surely you can see the edge of
the bottom part of the strip?

What happens, is that once the carpet gets pushed and secured into the
gripper strip, the only way to remove it if the carpet needs lifting,
is to rip it off the sharp tangs of the gripper. Thus the carpet end
becomes damaged and no longer able to be effectively gripped.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 16:34:46 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Would that not hit doors and cause a trip hazard.

Certainly where some of the doors are concerned.

Is there nowhere in the
house where you can see an end to see what is going on.

I'm not great at low altitude these days. Tricky getting down and even
trickier getting up again.

If its only glue,
then I guess getting them off is the least of the worry.

Eeek! I don't know if I can stand to hear that there might be worse to
come.

If they were in slots and you have a gap it sounds like they were not very well secured.

I was guessing that the carpet edges were just covered, rather than
secured. Though secured will have been a better method.

If you can see the carpet edges, surely you can see the edge of the bottom part
of the strip?

I can see the carpet edge from above, in the kneeling position.
The worms eye view I'll need to limber up for.

Brian

Sound reasoning Brian.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 09:01:09 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

Brian Gaff (Sofa) explained :
If they were in slots and you have a gap it sounds like they were not very
well secured. If you can see the carpet edges, surely you can see the edge of
the bottom part of the strip?

What happens, is that once the carpet gets pushed and secured into the
gripper strip, the only way to remove it if the carpet needs lifting,
is to rip it off the sharp tangs of the gripper. Thus the carpet end
becomes damaged and no longer able to be effectively gripped.

So, replacement with a wider strip should do the trick. I just
need to thin the edge of my crowbar.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2020 09:16, Mike Halmarack wrote:
Some of mine are carpet to carpet, others are carpet to tile.
With several of them the carpet has moved/shrunk, exposing a ragged
edge. I would like to replace the aluminium strips with wider ones to
compensate.

I've tried to gently lever one or two up but they seem very resistant.
The floor beneath is concrete to which the strips seem very firmly
fixed. Not having much idea how to remove and replace them I'd much
appreciate some advice.

It's fairly easy to make a hardwood threshold strip and then it could be
any size you want - they look much better than aluminium and can be
stained/varnished/oiled as required. I've been making mine out of
reclaimed oak skirting.
If you haven't got the tools a local woodworker would do it in a few
minutes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I came a cross a couple of these recently

You need to rip the carpet out somehow from the bits with the spikes then lever up the metal strip with a crowbar and replace it with the wide strip that covers the damaged carpet edges. Some of them have two parts and the upper part is pushed into a groove in the lower part but if a bit of levering doesn't do anything you can conclude it's all one piece
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 08:41:52 -0800 (PST), Murmansk
wrote:

I came a cross a couple of these recently

You need to rip the carpet out somehow from the bits with the spikes then lever up the metal strip with a crowbar and replace it with the wide strip that covers the damaged carpet edges. Some of them have two parts and the upper part is pushed into a groove in the lower part but if a bit of levering doesn't do anything you can conclude it's all one piece

The carpet edges are already out so they can't have been very well
gripped in the first place. Levering is about to begin.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) explained :
If they were in slots and you have a gap it sounds like they were not
very well secured. If you can see the carpet edges, surely you can
see the edge of the bottom part of the strip?

What happens, is that once the carpet gets pushed and secured into the
gripper strip, the only way to remove it if the carpet needs lifting,
is to rip it off the sharp tangs of the gripper. Thus the carpet end
becomes damaged and no longer able to be effectively gripped.

Use a bolster chisel to open up the strip.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
That's a great idea. I really don't like the look of aluminium strips.
Most of my woodworking tools are now in Canada but I still have a
plane and a saw, so any rabetting for offset levels will be the tricky
bit.

Aluminium strips can look OK new, but very soon look extremely tatty.

--
*Windows will never cease *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 November 2020 at 11:52:48 UTC, wrote:
On 16/11/2020 09:16, Mike Halmarack wrote:
Some of mine are carpet to carpet, others are carpet to tile.
With several of them the carpet has moved/shrunk, exposing a ragged
edge. I would like to replace the aluminium strips with wider ones to
compensate.

I've tried to gently lever one or two up but they seem very resistant.
The floor beneath is concrete to which the strips seem very firmly
fixed. Not having much idea how to remove and replace them I'd much
appreciate some advice.

It's fairly easy to make a hardwood threshold strip and then it could be
any size you want - they look much better than aluminium and can be
stained/varnished/oiled as required. I've been making mine out of
reclaimed oak skirting.
If you haven't got the tools a local woodworker would do it in a few
minutes.

I detest aluminium carpet strips!

In a previous house, we had wooden strips - same width as the door frame. They had been very badly half-painted and had a lot of damage over the years.. I managed to get them out, sand down, re-finish, replace. They looked so, so much better. Especially as they were actually nice oak!

On moving to a new-build, got the builder to install similar.

When the carpets either side are different, a wooden strip really helps to stop them looking like a mistake.