Robert

Default Problem with heating system

I have a closed oil central heating system. Just last year for no
apparent reason the hot press stopped getting hot. I replaced the pump
and the expansion vessel.

I also notice that the pressure at the expansion vessel is quite low -
about 0.5 bar.

I cannot see any leaks

I have blead all of the radiators

All of the radiators heat up properly - except the tank in the hot
press

Please help - Thanks

Rob
Set Square

Robert wrote:

I have a closed oil central heating system. Just last year for no
apparent reason the hot press stopped getting hot. I replaced the pump
and the expansion vessel.

I also notice that the pressure at the expansion vessel is quite low -
about 0.5 bar.

I cannot see any leaks

I have blead all of the radiators

All of the radiators heat up properly - except the tank in the hot
press

Please help - Thanks

Rob

Please explain what you mean by the "hot press". It's not a term I've come
across!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Robert

A hot press is a very small room in which you place a big copper tank.
A worm from the heating system goes in and out of it. The worm heats
the water inside and supplies the hot water tap.

Some people call it an airing cupboard.

So it is this tank that is not heating proberly.

Thanks for the reply

Any suggestions

Robert
Please explain what you mean by the "hot press". It's not a term I've come
across!

Christian McArdle

I also notice that the pressure at the expansion vessel is quite low -
about 0.5 bar.

Do you mean the water pressure when filled, or the pre-charge pressure?

If the former, increase the pressure to 1 bar* by connecting and opening up
the filling loop for a few seconds. If this doesn't fix it, then you may
have an airlock, or a control system problem.

Alternatively, you may have a gravity circulated system, which just doesn't
work. This type of system is very unlikely on a sealed system.

Control system problems might be:

1. Failed cylinder thermostat.
2. Cylinder thermostat set very low.
3. Failed zone valve.
4. Failed programmer.
5. Programmer not set to heat.
6. Wiring damaged
7. Balance valve closed off.

Christian.

* If your house has more than 3 storeys, a more careful calculation must be
done.

Robert

It is a pressurised system - I did remember to refill it - When I
measure the pressure at the expansion vessel the pressure is 0.5 bar -
it used to be just over 1 bar.

The pipes are mainly microbor (3/8")

There is definetly no air locks in the system. Since all of the
radiators heat proberly I don't think there is a problem with the
boiler or programmer.

We have a 2 storey house

What is a filling loop??

Thanks for the reply

Rob
Velvet

Robert wrote:
It is a pressurised system - I did remember to refill it - When I
measure the pressure at the expansion vessel the pressure is 0.5 bar -
it used to be just over 1 bar.

The pipes are mainly microbor (3/8")

There is definetly no air locks in the system. Since all of the
radiators heat proberly I don't think there is a problem with the
boiler or programmer.

We have a 2 storey house

What is a filling loop??

Thanks for the reply

Rob

Filling loop is hte connection between mains water and your pressurised
heating circuit, and the means by which you refill it.... but I am
suprised you didn't know this if you've got as far as refilling the
system :-) You *did* use this method, I hope?

I have a sealed system with a potterton puma, and the boiler gives the
recommended pressure of the system in all it's gumph. It also has a
built in pressure gauge on the boiler. It's normally around 1.5bar, but
it may well be different for your boiler so don't assume that's right
for all systems.

Velvet

Robert

I leave the stop cock open on the filling loop - so that any water
that the system loses, due to the pressure release valve, can be
refilled easily - so the filling loop is always open - is this okay.
There is still not enough pressure.

The pressure release valve doesn't operate until the pressure is well
over 1 bar.

I'm not sure what kind of boiler I have - I'll check it and post it
soon.

Thanks again for the reply

Rob
geoff

In message , Robert
writes
I leave the stop cock open on the filling loop - so that any water
that the system loses, due to the pressure release valve, can be
refilled easily - so the filling loop is always open - is this okay.
There is still not enough pressure.

The pressure release valve doesn't operate until the pressure is well
over 1 bar.

I'm not sure what kind of boiler I have - I'll check it and post it
soon.

Is this a wind up?

--
geoff

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:18:54 -0800, Robert wrote:

I leave the stop cock open on the filling loop - so that any water
that the system loses, due to the pressure release valve, can be
refilled easily - so the filling loop is always open - is this okay.
There is still not enough pressure.

The pressure release valve doesn't operate until the pressure is well
over 1 bar.

I'm not sure what kind of boiler I have - I'll check it and post it
soon.

Thanks again for the reply

Check out the Sealed CH FAQ below.
It applicable to oil fired heating aswell.
Perhaps your mains pressure is very low?

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Central Heating Problem Duncan Lally UK diy 2 February 22nd 04 09:22 PM
Gravity fed Central Heating System Woes Kev Parkin UK diy 4 October 22nd 03 11:23 AM
Pool water in central heating system Andy Hall UK diy 1 September 2nd 03 05:01 PM
Water system problem BigWallop UK diy 2 August 8th 03 11:12 AM
mains Hot water, and do I convert open heating to a closed heating system Ian Tracey UK diy 5 July 18th 03 09:55 AM