Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet fill valve

Anybody any idea where I can buy a bottom fill toilet fill valve with a 70mm long tail, 1/2€ thread. Struggling to source one and dont want to replace the toilet.
Thanks
Bev
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2020 09:33, Bev Brooks wrote:
Anybody any idea where I can buy a bottom fill toilet fill valve with a 70mm long tail, 1/2€ thread. Struggling to source one and dont want to replace the toilet.
Thanks
Bev

Is the 70mm important in order to meet existing pipework?

If not plenty of bottom fill valves on Screwfix, Toolstation, Ebay and
from any plumbing merchant or shed, B&Q, Wickes etc.). Screwfix and
Toolstation are open during lockdown. The standard is 1/2 inch british
pipe thread.

Random Example
https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmast...ll-valve/47792

(alternatives can be found on that page)

Fitting instruction can be found from a link on this page
https://www.fluidmaster.com/products...h-brass-shank/

If its to meet existing rigid pipework then consider cutting the pipe
and using a flexi pipe to the valve.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-...-x-300mm/6768g

Examples from Toolstaion
https://www.toolstation.com/viva-sky...l-valve/p35993

https://www.toolstation.com/fluidmas...k-valve/p32359

Note that some designs are more compact than others which may suit the
space you have.

For personal collection Screwfix and Toolstation have a click and
collect policy during lockdown. Check the stock level in the local
outlet, order and pay on-line, wait for the confirmation (text) go and
collect.

B&Q Example - alternatives available
https://www.diy.com/departments/flui.../211926_BQ.prd

Wickes Example - alternatives available
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Fluidmaster...Valve/p/420072

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2020 09:33, Bev Brooks wrote:
Anybody any idea where I can buy a bottom fill toilet fill valve with a 70mm long tail, 1/2€ thread. Struggling to source one and dont want to replace the toilet.
Thanks
Bev

What is the problem with the existing valve?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2020 09:33, Bev Brooks wrote:
Anybody any idea where I can buy a bottom fill toilet fill valve with a 70mm long tail, 1/2€ thread. Struggling to source one and dont want to replace the toilet.
Thanks
Bev

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-...ll-valve/5527f

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2020 10:06:48, alan_m wrote:
On 10/11/2020 09:33, Bev Brooks wrote:
Anybody any idea where I can buy a bottom fill toilet fill valve with
a 70mm long tail, 1/2€ thread. Struggling to source one and dont want
to replace the toilet.
Thanks
Bev

Is the 70mm important in order to meet existing pipework?

I suspect the old one has this.

The next question is there sufficient pipe movement to fit the more
usual offerings?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2020 13:43, Fredxx wrote:
On 10/11/2020 10:06:48, alan_m wrote:
On 10/11/2020 09:33, Bev Brooks wrote:
Anybody any idea where I can buy a bottom fill toilet fill valve with
a 70mm long tail, 1/2€ thread. Struggling to source one and dont
want to replace the toilet.
Thanks
Bev

Is the 70mm important in order to meet existing pipework?

I suspect the old one has this.

The next question is there sufficient pipe movement to fit the more
usual offerings?

I looked at mine and it seems the tail is about 50mm.

If there is enough room, maybe a 15cm flexible connector pipe could help
solve the problem.

Something like:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-tap-connector-15mm-x-x-500mm/3446g

One other point, my old one suffered terribly from water hammer. I
replaced it with a Fluid master PRO45B (brass shank) and the water
hammer disappeared.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2020 13:55, Pancho wrote:

One other point, my old one suffered terribly from water hammer. I
replaced it with a Fluid master PRO45B (brass shank) and the water
hammer disappeared.

Often they come with two water pressure restrictors - perhaps if the
wrong one was fitted to the original valve you get the problem that you had.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2020 21:50, alan_m wrote:
On 10/11/2020 13:55, Pancho wrote:

One other point, my old one suffered terribly from water hammer. I
replaced it with a Fluid master PRO45B (brass shank) and the water
hammer disappeared.

Often they come with two water pressure restrictors - perhaps if the
wrong one was fitted to the original valve you get the problem that you
had.

Yeah I read all that, and even considered fitting a kind of air
reservoir as a shock absorber, then someone suggested just fitting this
valve would fix it. I didn't believe them, but tried anyway, they were
right.