Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solid fuel stove

Hi
I am looking for recommendations for a multi-fuel stove. Will mainly be burning wood but would like to have the option. Preferably with a flat top and a suitable for a direct (external) fuel supply.

Thanks,

C.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chade Wrote in message:
Hi
I am looking for recommendations for a multi-fuel stove. Will mainly be burning wood but would like to have the option. Preferably with a flat top and a suitable for a direct (external) fuel supply.

Thanks,

C.

What sort of direct fuel supply?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2020 22:37, Chade wrote:
Hi I am looking for recommendations for a multi-fuel stove. Will
mainly be burning wood but would like to have the option. Preferably
with a flat top and a suitable for a direct (external) fuel supply.

Are there *any* that even fit those requirements?

Multifuel stoves with a flat top are two a penny, ones with self
cleaning large front windows are a bit rarer. Switching between fuels
involves altering the grate so that coal burns with more air.

You pretty much have to put the fuel in through the front window with
these and undertake various maintainence tasks like ash removal. Coal
generating a fair bit more ash residues than wood does.

All of the direct feed solid fuel furnaces I have seen were in practice
limited to a very specific size of pre-pelleted wood chips that were
compatible with their screw feed fuel handling unit. Most of them looked
pretty big and ugly too - the sort of thing you hide in an outbuilding.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2020 07:13, Jimk wrote:
Chade Wrote in message:
Hi
I am looking for recommendations for a multi-fuel stove. Will mainly be burning wood but would like to have the option. Preferably with a flat top and a suitable for a direct (external) fuel supply.

Thanks,

C.

What sort of direct fuel supply?

I read that to mean an external fuel bunker where you put in wood
pellets or smokeless coal grains and its fed in by a corkscrew.

Whether such a thing exists is another question, it it does exist in the
case of solid fuel boilers.....

Will be pricey though

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This is a UK group, I'd feel you may be across the pond?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chade" wrote in message
Hi
I am looking for recommendations for a multi-fuel stove. Will mainly be
burning wood but would like to have the option. Preferably with a flat top
and a suitable for a direct (external) fuel supply.

Thanks,

C.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
On 27/10/2020 22:37, Chade wrote:
Hi I am looking for recommendations for a multi-fuel stove. Will
mainly be burning wood but would like to have the option. Preferably
with a flat top and a suitable for a direct (external) fuel supply.

Are there *any* that even fit those requirements?

Multifuel stoves with a flat top are two a penny, ones with self
cleaning large front windows are a bit rarer. Switching between fuels
involves altering the grate so that coal burns with more air.

Or in the case of my fire, just flicking over the €śbottom draft€ť lever.

You pretty much have to put the fuel in through the front window with
these and undertake various maintainence tasks like ash removal. Coal
generating a fair bit more ash residues than wood does.

All of the direct feed solid fuel furnaces I have seen were in practice
limited to a very specific size of pre-pelleted wood chips that were
compatible with their screw feed fuel handling unit. Most of them looked
pretty big and ugly too - the sort of thing you hide in an outbuilding.

Yep, not sure what the OP is really after. Screw feed stoves are designed
for heating water, not to look pretty or to provide room heating. A
€śrocket€ť stove maybe with a chute to feed fuel in?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Yep, not sure what the OP is really after. Screw feed stoves are designed
for heating water, not to look pretty or to provide room heating. A
€śrocket€ť stove maybe with a chute to feed fuel in?

This sort of thing:
http://woodpelletstove.co.uk/

have a hopper at the top you fill with pellets, and they control the rate of
pellets dropping to get whatever heat you dial it to.

However I can't imagine they would be good with coal, and the hopper is of
the 'lift up and pour from a sack' variety rather than 'blow in pellets from
your 1 ton store delivered by tanker'. So you're filling them from a sack
every day or two depending on how much you run it. Plus you need to empty
the ash pan.

A gas boiler it is not.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Yep, not sure what the OP is really after. Screw feed stoves are designed
for heating water, not to look pretty or to provide room heating. A
€śrocket€ť stove maybe with a chute to feed fuel in?

This sort of thing:
http://woodpelletstove.co.uk/

I stand corrected! Never knew such things existed.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2020 10:58, Tim+ wrote:
Theo wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Yep, not sure what the OP is really after. Screw feed stoves are designed
for heating water, not to look pretty or to provide room heating. A
€śrocket€ť stove maybe with a chute to feed fuel in?

This sort of thing:
http://woodpelletstove.co.uk/

I stand corrected! Never knew such things existed.

They are more ornamental that functional though. 5.5kW max output.

The tie in to expensive compressed wood pellets puts me right off.

Unless your house is super insulated it is never going to power the
central heating system. It might perhaps warm one room adequately.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 10:39:35 +0000, Theo wrote:

Tim+ wrote:
Yep, not sure what the OP is really after. Screw feed stoves are
designed for heating water, not to look pretty or to provide room
heating. A €śrocket€ť stove maybe with a chute to feed fuel in?

This sort of thing:
http://woodpelletstove.co.uk/

have a hopper at the top you fill with pellets, and they control the
rate of pellets dropping to get whatever heat you dial it to.

However I can't imagine they would be good with coal, and the hopper is
of the 'lift up and pour from a sack' variety rather than 'blow in
pellets from your 1 ton store delivered by tanker'. So you're filling
them from a sack every day or two depending on how much you run it.
Plus you need to empty the ash pan.

A gas boiler it is not.

Possibly a bit like the Parkray solid fuel central heating boiler and room
heater we had yea those many years ago.

Poured anthracite pellets in the hopper at the top and raked ash and
clinker out of the bottom.
Worked well for a village without gas.

I don't think you could have cooked on it - the top was where the lid for
the hopper was.
We used a sold fuel Rayburn for cooking.

Cheers

Dave R

Chade does sound a bit USA, but what is in a name?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
On 28/10/2020 10:58, Tim+ wrote:
Theo wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Yep, not sure what the OP is really after. Screw feed stoves are designed
for heating water, not to look pretty or to provide room heating. A
€śrocket€ť stove maybe with a chute to feed fuel in?

This sort of thing:
http://woodpelletstove.co.uk/

I stand corrected! Never knew such things existed.

They are more ornamental that functional though. 5.5kW max output.

5kW is quite enough to heat up one room to €śstripping naked€ť temperature
though. ;-)

The tie in to expensive compressed wood pellets puts me right off.

Indeed. I collect and dry all my own firewood.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2020 16:33, Martin Brown wrote:

They are more ornamental that functional though. 5.5kW max output.

No they are not, I still have one of the 10kW ones we first imported in
2000, and envirofire 3. powerful enough to quickly get a scout
hut/parish hall up to temperature.

We put 4 italian soapstone clad ones into an arts hub in a converted
warehouse in Euston, they worked well.

The tie in to expensive compressed wood pellets puts me right off.

YUP they were about ÂŁ300/tonne last I bought any, a 5 fold rise, which
is why it sits doing nothing in my shed, also the circulation fan is a
bit noisy for domestic use. It does have a small hotplate though.

Unless your house is super insulated it is never going to power the
central heating system. It might perhaps warm one room adequately.

I used to snag or service a 25kW Kunzel in a block of 12 flats in
Brixton, it was adequate until some tenants turned the thermostat up
full and regulated the temperature by opening windows as the heat wasn't
metered (well it was but no one trusted the heat meters).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 6:37:10 PM UTC-4, Chade wrote:
Hi
I am looking for recommendations for a multi-fuel stove. Will mainly be burning wood but would like to have the option. Preferably with a flat top and a suitable for a direct (external) fuel supply.

Thanks,

C.

Thanks for your replies. However I must apologise I should have typed direct air supply rather than fuel supply. Sorry.

I am after a stove of about 5 kw and am hoping to pipe in the air from the side of the alcove rather than the back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 5:14:30 AM UTC-4, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
This is a UK group, I'd feel you may be across the pond?
Brian

I am in the uk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 12:33:31 PM UTC-4, Martin Brown wrote:
On 28/10/2020 10:58, Tim+ wrote:
Theo wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Yep, not sure what the OP is really after. Screw feed stoves are designed
for heating water, not to look pretty or to provide room heating. A
€śrocket€ť stove maybe with a chute to feed fuel in?

This sort of thing:
http://woodpelletstove.co.uk/

I stand corrected! Never knew such things existed.

They are more ornamental that functional though. 5.5kW max output.

The tie in to expensive compressed wood pellets puts me right off.

Unless your house is super insulated it is never going to power the
central heating system. It might perhaps warm one room adequately.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

At the risk of causing more confusion after my hamfisted editing...

We have a smallholding and a few years ago someone tried to sell us a central heating boiler system that could be powered by wood chippings. The idea being that scrubby woodland could be cleared, chipped and the chippings used to power a 'fed' boiler. We never tried to go forward with it but the salesman seemed to think that there was various grants and subsidies that would make it very cheap.

What I am trying to do at the moment is just sort out a normal stove.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" Wrote in message:
This is a UK group, I'd feel you may be across the pond?
Brian

We have Paul.....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
Martin Brown wrote:
On 28/10/2020 10:58, Tim+ wrote:
Theo wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Yep, not sure what the OP is really after. Screw feed stoves are designed
for heating water, not to look pretty or to provide room heating. A
?rocket? stove maybe with a chute to feed fuel in?

This sort of thing:
http://woodpelletstove.co.uk/

I stand corrected! Never knew such things existed.

They are more ornamental that functional though. 5.5kW max output.

5kW is quite enough to heat up one room to ?stripping naked? temperature
though. ;-)

The tie in to expensive compressed wood pellets puts me right off.

Indeed. I collect and dry all my own firewood.

Tim

Presumably you don't throw enough on to get down to your undies
every evening? So the 5kw is a red herring....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chade wrote:

I should have typed direct air supply rather than fuel supply. hoping
to pipe in the air from the side of the alcove rather than the back.

I can't see any where that's obviously the location of the input, space
it far enough from the rear wall and put an elbow on the intake to take
it from the side? Even build a false rear wall to hide the air input
pipework?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 10:37:10 PM UTC, Chade wrote:
Hi
I am looking for recommendations for a multi-fuel stove. Will mainly be burning wood but would like to have the option. Preferably with a flat top and a suitable for a direct (external) fuel supply.

Thanks,

C.

Ive bought a
Burley Hollywell 9105
very efficient (89%)

you can buy accessories for direct air supply
and coal burning

Heats my big bedroom which is well insulated

https://www.facebook.com/Burley-Appl...6490744096721/

[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 28/10/2020 10:58, Tim+ wrote:
Theo wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

If you were in Northern Ireland there was a scheme that would give you
money proportional to the amount of fuel you burned no questions asked.
The infamous ash for cash scandal which brought down the NI government.

Don't underestimate the volume of wood you will be burning if you are
relying on it entirely for heating. I get through about 3T a year. It is
cheaper than oil CH particularly when you have a source of free wood.

What I am trying to do at the moment is just sort out a normal
stove.

You basically need to tell us what you think is normal then. What power
and what sort of cosmetic appearance. I went for a single large window
and clean design lines which is more expensive but looks much nicer.

Mine is a Charnwood with a back boiler to power the CH and HW, a self
cleaning front window which almost works and smart air mix control. The
back boiler adds a lot to the price but makes it more useful for me.

You pretty much have to have them professionally installed because they
are incredibly heavy and the process involves lining the chimney and
possibly drilling a big hole in the wall for ventilation.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chade wrote:
We have a smallholding and a few years ago someone tried to sell us a
central heating boiler system that could be powered by wood chippings.
The idea being that scrubby woodland could be cleared, chipped and the
chippings used to power a 'fed' boiler. We never tried to go forward with
it but the salesman seemed to think that there was various grants and
subsidies that would make it very cheap.

Surely such chippings would be green and would need drying out before you
could burn them?

Be interesting to know how much chipping you'd get per unit of scrubby
woodland - there's not a great amount of wood in typical bushes.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2020 19:43, Tim+ wrote:
5kW is quite enough to heat up one room to €śstripping naked€ť temperature
though.

My whole HOUSE was calculated to need at most 12 kW continuous.
The UFH is around 1.5Kw per 30 sq m room. Fully capable of keeping them
toasty.

The Aga is 650W continuous and keeps a 30 sq m kitchen more than warm
for all but the coldest winter nights.

My old 'Villager' wood burner is in a 30 sq m bedroom and does I think 7
or 8 kW. I do know that about an hour after lighting the otherwise
unheated room (although the Aga is underneath it) gets to over 20°C...My
biggest problem is trying to throttle it back...

Given reasonable insulation you don't need, at mos,t more than 100W/sq
meter for any room, and with good modern insulation 50W is more than enough.

The most pathetic wood burner easily exceeds that.

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2020 23:53, Chade wrote:
Thanks for your replies. However I must apologise I should have typed
direct air supply rather than fuel supply. Sorry.

I am after a stove of about 5 kw and am hoping to pipe in the air
from the side of the alcove rather than the back.

I have a pipe going to the ventilated attic above mine, Works very well.
A pipe to the outside if that is available is also perfectly usable .#
My open fires and (oil) Aga have pipes to the ventilated under floor
cavity, That also works very well.

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2020 11:07, Theo wrote:
Chade wrote:
We have a smallholding and a few years ago someone tried to sell us a
central heating boiler system that could be powered by wood chippings.
The idea being that scrubby woodland could be cleared, chipped and the
chippings used to power a 'fed' boiler. We never tried to go forward with
it but the salesman seemed to think that there was various grants and
subsidies that would make it very cheap.

Surely such chippings would be green and would need drying out before you
could burn them?

Be interesting to know how much chipping you'd get per unit of scrubby
woodland - there's not a great amount of wood in typical bushes.

Theo

My experience is that about 60% pof the trees I have to fell or that
fall down here are not suitable for burning in normal stoves. As ot
stands I have a pile of about 19 cubic meters of dross that is now
probably too big to be a bonfire, and I still have a downed tree and all
the hedges to cut - and nowhere to store yet another tree...
I think those wood chip boilers can take it green and they act as driers..

I may yet get a chipping machine and turn that useless pile of small
bracnches into mulch...

--
€śit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 5:49:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 10:37:10 PM UTC, Chade wrote:
Hi
I am looking for recommendations for a multi-fuel stove. Will mainly be burning wood but would like to have the option. Preferably with a flat top and a suitable for a direct (external) fuel supply.

Thanks,

C.

Ive bought a
Burley Hollywell 9105
very efficient (89%)

you can buy accessories for direct air supply
and coal burning

Heats my big bedroom which is well insulated

https://www.facebook.com/Burley-Appl...6490744096721/

[george]

Looks very interesting, and has the option of ducting in the air from a right angle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 7:00:30 AM UTC-4, Martin Brown wrote:
On 29/10/2020 00:02, Chade wrote:

snip

Don't underestimate the volume of wood you will be burning if you are
relying on it entirely for heating. I get through about 3T a year. It is
cheaper than oil CH particularly when you have a source of free wood.

We are fortunate enough to have a source of free wood.

What I am trying to do at the moment is just sort out a normal
stove.

You basically need to tell us what you think is normal then. What power
and what sort of cosmetic appearance. I went for a single large window
and clean design lines which is more expensive but looks much nicer.

About 5 kw power and having a 'windowed' stove in another room I think we would want the same again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

unheated room (although the Aga is underneath it) gets to over 20°C...My
biggest problem is trying to throttle it back...

That can be the problem especially if a wood/coal burner is to be used
to heat more than one room. Comfortable away from the burner and too
hot anywhere in a 6 foot radius.

The thermostat is manually opening and closing the air vent and it
doesn't instantly fully turn off when at the desired temperature.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

to get the Renewable Heat Incentive I think you have to buy the wood chippings,
I may be wrong,
can it be done with your own wood?
George

On Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 2:38:52 PM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 29/10/2020 11:07, Theo wrote:
Chade wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2020 09:52, George Miles wrote:
to get the Renewable Heat Incentive I think you have to buy the wood chippings,
I may be wrong,
can it be done with your own wood?
George

Fork Nose.

Probably. After all its not about climate or sustainability, its about
profit for greenwashing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote:
to get the Renewable Heat Incentive I think you have to buy the wood chippings,
I may be wrong,
can it be done with your own wood?

I think it's only approved suppliers of pellets, not logs or chips.

The boilers that take green chips look quite substantial - these start at
390kW:
https://www.viessmann.ca/en/commerci...ex_300-uf.html
I don't know if there's anything suitable for domestic scale?

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2020 11:31, Theo wrote:
George Miles wrote:
to get the Renewable Heat Incentive I think you have to buy the wood chippings,
I may be wrong,
can it be done with your own wood?

I think it's only approved suppliers of pellets, not logs or chips.

The boilers that take green chips look quite substantial - these start at
390kW:
https://www.viessmann.ca/en/commerci...ex_300-uf.html
I don't know if there's anything suitable for domestic scale?

Theo

I was at a country fair 10 years ago and they did domestic scale '
woodchip burners, Probably no grants tho. They were selling them to
people with large woodlands to manage.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels