Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default W/basin bath repair

I think it was asked in here - someone looking for a suitable material
to fix a chipped w/basin and one of the suggestions was this stuff -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273423238467

I asked if might be suitable for a chip in a white enamelled pressed
steel bath. It was suggested that it was, so I ordered some, which
arrived yesterday and I used it yesterday.

It worked and was much better than I expected. It had set up incredibly
hard by this morning. The instructions though, are a very poor
translation and took several readings to get the full jest of it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2020 11:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I think it was asked in here - someone looking for a suitable material
to fix a chipped w/basin and one of the suggestions was this stuff -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273423238467

I asked if might be suitable for a chip in a white enamelled pressed
steel bath. It was suggested that it was, so I ordered some, which
arrived yesterday and I used it yesterday.

It worked and was much better than I expected. It had set up incredibly
hard by this morning. The instructions though, are a very poor
translation and took several readings to get the full jest of it.

....gist...?

Looks like a white filled *polyester* resin.

Essentially nicer looking car body filler.

As I said, 'Milliput' is the *epoxy* equivalent.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILLIPUT-...r/222871502626

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking The Natural Philosopher wrote :
Looks like a white filled *polyester* resin.

Essentially nicer looking car body filler.

As I said, 'Milliput' is the *epoxy* equivalent.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILLIPUT-...r/222871502626

I have used the standard milliput before and car body filler, this was
much, much finer than both of those. It ran almost like a gloss oil
paint and produced a shiny surface if just allowed to set - though it
seems to advise laying some (provided) plastic on top, whilst it set, I
didn't use it.

I deliberately smudged some onto a chrome pipe, just to see how well it
stuck. It is certainly much tougher than gloss paint to remove, it will
need to be 'chiselled off'.

I needed it for an enamelled pressed steel bath, where I had drilled a
hole to allow a pipe to pass through (bad idea). It had gradually
rusted out from the hole over the years and I had repaired it once
already with phosphoric acid and white car touch up paint, from my old
Granada.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2020 15:19, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking The Natural Philosopher wrote :
Looks like a white filled *polyester* resin.

Essentially nicer looking car body filler.

As I said, 'Milliput' is the *epoxy* equivalent.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILLIPUT-...r/222871502626

I have used the standard milliput before and car body filler, this was
much, much finer than both of those.

That is down to the quality of the filler of course

It ran almost like a gloss oil
paint and produced a shiny surface if just allowed to set - though it
seems to advise laying some (provided) plastic on top, whilst it set, I
didn't use it.

I deliberately smudged some onto a chrome pipe, just to see how well it
stuck. It is certainly much tougher than gloss paint to remove, it will
need to be 'chiselled off'.

I needed it for an enamelled pressed steel bath, where I had drilled a
hole to allow a pipe to pass through (bad idea). It had gradually rusted
out from the hole over the years and I had repaired it once already with
phosphoric acid and white car touch up paint, from my old Granada.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Oct 2020 at 11:45:54 BST, "Harry Bloomfield, Esq."
wrote:

I think it was asked in here - someone looking for a suitable material
to fix a chipped w/basin and one of the suggestions was this stuff -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273423238467

I asked if might be suitable for a chip in a white enamelled pressed
steel bath. It was suggested that it was, so I ordered some, which
arrived yesterday and I used it yesterday.

It worked and was much better than I expected. It had set up incredibly
hard by this morning. The instructions though, are a very poor
translation and took several readings to get the full jest of it.

I tried to buy some off the back of the earlier thread. Seller sent me a
different product - single tube and 10ml. Promised to send me the correct
version Monday. I'll report back then ;-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 11:45:54 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

I think it was asked in here - someone looking for a suitable material
to fix a chipped w/basin and one of the suggestions was this stuff -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273423238467

I asked if might be suitable for a chip in a white enamelled pressed
steel bath. It was suggested that it was, so I ordered some, which
arrived yesterday and I used it yesterday.

It worked and was much better than I expected. It had set up incredibly
hard by this morning. The instructions though, are a very poor
translation and took several readings to get the full jest of it.

I bought the same product and finally found the tuits to use it last
week. I really don't care whether it is epoxy or polyester: if you
follow the instructions carefully it works well.

Just a few comments:

I did a practice run on a piece of broken crockery and I am glad that
I did because I learned a lot about its characteristics that way.

Accurate measurement of the two components seems to be important: my
proto-son-in-law used it, did it in a rush and made a mess of his bath
repair whilst I used an electronic balance to measure the parts more
exactly.

I was annoyed to discover that the so-called PTFE label which is
supposed to be cut to surround the chip before you fill it was
actually just ordinary paper and the clear film that is not supposed
to stick to the filler did actually stick to the filler. But once you
know this you can work round it.

Would I use it again? Hopefully the filled holes in the enamel will
stay filled and nobody will chip the bath again and I won't have to!

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes well, I noticed a couple of chips in my bath near the plug hole
surround, but seeing as the nice shiny glaze has now worn away on all but
the seldom wet portions, I'm thinking a new bathroom might be the next big
spend. Glaze lasts only so long even on an enamelled steel bath, and this
has lasted over 50 years so I guess its entitled to get dull due, most
probably to minute scratches due to having to remove lime scale from the
hard water.

Such is life.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Bath and basin plugs Broadback UK diy 4 October 31st 06 02:43 PM
Bath & Basin plugs Broadback UK diy 5 October 30th 06 11:27 AM
Does anyone know any Hight Street retailers stocking Amber's range of bath/basin taps? Peter UK diy 4 August 13th 05 01:58 PM
Adding a basin to a toilet with no route for basin waste pipe Richard Hamer UK diy 24 July 22nd 04 12:12 AM
Bath and Basin waste. Troy UK diy 6 July 25th 03 07:41 PM