Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hotpoint w/mch belt comes off

Recently changed drum on a Hotpoint WMUD962
Been working fine for 2 weeks ... then belt came off.

Belt is not adjustable .... and motor position also not adjustable
(fixed by drum mounts) Hence relationship of motor drive pulley to dram
pully is fixed.
The multi-vee belts when fitted will not stay central on the flat drum
pulley ..... I can fit central to drum pulley and vee belt is on the
first inner vee of motor pulley, but as soon as it rotates it jumps one
vee to the right. Still fully on the vee pulley, but runs with a belt
just on edge of drum pulley (not overlapping) ..... but presumably this
is why it came off.
I have ordered new belt anyway, assume existing belt may be stretched.

Anybody any other suggestions .... there seems to be no adjustment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick laid this down on his screen :
Belt is not adjustable .... and motor position also not adjustable (fixed by
drum mounts) Hence relationship of motor drive pulley to dram pully is
fixed.
The multi-vee belts when fitted will not stay central on the flat drum pulley
..... I can fit central to drum pulley and vee belt is on the first inner vee
of motor pulley, but as soon as it rotates it jumps one vee to the right.

Multi-vee belts are normally driven and drive multi-vee pulleys, I have
never seen one drive a smooth pulley. I have seen the flat back of the
belt, pass around a smooth pulley, such as a tensioner pulley.

Something seems to not be right. Was the original pulley on the drum
smooth?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2020 12:34, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
rick laid this down on his screen :
Belt is not adjustable .... and motor position also not adjustable
(fixed by drum mounts)* Hence relationship of motor drive pulley to
dram pully is fixed.
The multi-vee belts when fitted will not stay central on the flat drum
pulley ..... I can fit central to drum pulley and vee belt is on the
first inner vee of motor pulley, but as soon as it rotates it jumps
one vee to the right.

Multi-vee belts are normally driven and drive multi-vee pulleys, I have
never seen one drive a smooth pulley. I have seen the flat back of the
belt, pass around a smooth pulley, such as a tensioner pulley.

Something seems to not be right. Was the original pulley on the drum
smooth?

+1. ISTR I might have a multi-vee belt driving my tumble dryer drum, but
most certainly not a washing machine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 20/10/2020 12:34, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
rick laid this down on his screen :
Belt is not adjustable .... and motor position also not adjustable
(fixed by drum mounts)Â* Hence relationship of motor drive pulley to
dram pully is fixed.
The multi-vee belts when fitted will not stay central on the flat drum
pulley ..... I can fit central to drum pulley and vee belt is on the
first inner vee of motor pulley, but as soon as it rotates it jumps
one vee to the right.

Multi-vee belts are normally driven and drive multi-vee pulleys, I have
never seen one drive a smooth pulley. I have seen the flat back of the
belt, pass around a smooth pulley, such as a tensioner pulley.

Something seems to not be right. Was the original pulley on the drum
smooth?

+1. ISTR I might have a multi-vee belt driving my tumble dryer drum, but
most certainly not a washing machine.

Ditto on my ancient gas tumble dryer.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2020 19:15, Tim+ wrote:
newshound wrote:
[...]

Does it have a Stirling engine motor?

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes small motor pulley is multi-vee the main drum is just a flat
plastic pulley ..... was the same of the old drum.

There is no tensioner or any adjustment on Motor or drum, the
relationship is fixed.
It does say that drum belt is fixed tension and non-adjustable.

I looked for a grub screw or similar on motor pulley ... but pulley seem
fixed onto shaft.

Its back on and done 3 more full wash cycles and stayed on ... but it
does not run in centre of drum pulley.

On 20/10/2020 12:34, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
rick laid this down on his screen :
Belt is not adjustable .... and motor position also not adjustable
(fixed by drum mounts)* Hence relationship of motor drive pulley to
dram pully is fixed.
The multi-vee belts when fitted will not stay central on the flat drum
pulley ..... I can fit central to drum pulley and vee belt is on the
first inner vee of motor pulley, but as soon as it rotates it jumps
one vee to the right.

Multi-vee belts are normally driven and drive multi-vee pulleys, I have
never seen one drive a smooth pulley. I have seen the flat back of the
belt, pass around a smooth pulley, such as a tensioner pulley.

Something seems to not be right. Was the original pulley on the drum
smooth?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:
[...]

There's a picture here. Can't see detail on drum pulley.

https://www.washerhelp.co.uk/forums/...oise-plz-help/

Here's another model. Drum pulley doesn't appear to have
any sort of friction feature at all, relying on motor
pulley for belt control.

https://static.yourspares.co.uk/medi...m-Pulley-2.JPG

( https://www.yourspares.co.uk/advice/...g-machine.aspx )

That's probably why, in a Youtube video, it's so easy to put the belt
back on.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that rick formulated :
Its back on and done 3 more full wash cycles and stayed on ... but it does
not run in centre of drum pulley.

So the multi-vee's, on the inside of the belt, are driving a flat
pulley?

Which suggests something is axially out of alignment, if it is running
to one side. I think I'm right in suggesting that flat pulley have a
slight convex curve, to make the belt run to the centre.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick submitted this idea :
I looked for a grub screw or similar on motor pulley ... but pulley seem
fixed onto shaft.

It was maybe pressed on and pressed not quite far enough/ too far.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2020 19:30, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It happens that rick formulated :
Its back on and done 3 more full wash cycles and stayed on ... but it
does not run in centre of drum pulley.

So the multi-vee's, on the inside of the belt, are driving a flat pulley?

Which suggests something is axially out of alignment, if it is running
to one side. I think I'm right in suggesting that flat pulley have a
slight convex curve, to make the belt run to the centre.

No ... I put a set square on it - its flat

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2020 20:14, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
rick submitted this idea :
I looked for a grub screw or similar on motor pulley ... but pulley
seem fixed onto shaft.

It was maybe pressed on and pressed not quite far enough/ too far.

I will fit a new belt - if that still does not ride true unsure of
next step ..... if it were coming off at rear I could put packer behind
motor fixing bolts and move it out slightly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that rick formulated :
I will fit a new belt - if that still does not ride true unsure of next
step ..... if it were coming off at rear I could put packer behind motor
fixing bolts and move it out slightly.

Have you tried fitting the belt so it rotates the opposite way? Does it
work its way off, on the other side of the pulley? If it does, it would
suggest it is a faulty belt.