Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Towel Radiator.

I'm doing up the separate loo at the moment. Decided to replace the tiny
rad with a towel rail fed from the central heating. More for looks than
anything else.

Have one in the bathroom which is SS and came from TLC. So ordered up a
smaller but similar one.

Then found I could have bought a chrome plated one from Screwfix for a lot
less.

Have I wasted money?

--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

I'm doing up the separate loo at the moment. Decided to replace the
tiny rad with a towel rail fed from the central heating. More for
looks than anything else.

Have one in the bathroom which is SS and came from TLC. So ordered up
a smaller but similar one.

Then found I could have bought a chrome plated one from Screwfix for a
lot less.

Have I wasted money?

Stainless may be more robust - and it looks good - unless alongside
Chrome and then it looks odd. A black radiator gives off more heat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'm doing up the separate loo at the moment. Decided to replace the tiny
rad with a towel rail fed from the central heating. More for looks than
anything else.

Have one in the bathroom which is SS and came from TLC. So ordered up a
smaller but similar one.

Then found I could have bought a chrome plated one from Screwfix for a lot
less.

Have I wasted money?

Depending on how much use it gets consider adding an electric element to
dry towels when heating isnt on. They arent expensive and easy to fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm doing up the separate loo at the moment. Decided to replace the tiny
rad with a towel rail fed from the central heating. More for looks than
anything else.

Have one in the bathroom which is SS and came from TLC. So ordered up a
smaller but similar one.

Then found I could have bought a chrome plated one from Screwfix for a lot
less.

Have I wasted money?

When I fitted my chrome plated towel radiator from SF I found that the
chrome started to flake off everywhere I inserted a fitting - at the two
connectors points for the valves and the two air release points. While
cosmetically the missing chrome is insignificant it did indicate to me
that the plating wasn't well bonded. However a few years later and with
towels being placed on the radiator on a daily basis there is no further
signs of the plating being damaged and no signs of rust as I've seen on
other people's towel rails.

BTW my towel radiator came with a couple of valves which were totally
crap. They were replaced shortly after the towel radiator was first fitted.

Don't forget in a small loo a towel radiator may/will be used as a
convenient handle to grab to help oneself off the loo seat. Just make
sure tat thewall fixings are really secure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2020 16:23, Radio Man wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'm doing up the separate loo at the moment. Decided to replace the tiny
rad with a towel rail fed from the central heating. More for looks than
anything else.

Have one in the bathroom which is SS and came from TLC. So ordered up a
smaller but similar one.

Then found I could have bought a chrome plated one from Screwfix for a lot
less.

Have I wasted money?

Depending on how much use it gets consider adding an electric element to
dry towels when heating isnt on. They arent expensive and easy to fit.

Knock down wall and combine loo with bathroom. Then you don't need
another towel rail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2020 12:28, JohnP wrote:
A black radiator gives off more heat.

Why should the efficiency of a surface in absorbing light affect its
efficiency in radiating heat?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2020 18:49, williamwright wrote:
On 05/10/2020 12:28, JohnP wrote:
A black radiator gives off more heat.

Why should the efficiency of a surface in absorbing light affect its
efficiency in radiating heat?

Assuming the black is black in infrared too (it's possible, but
unlikely, it's black in visible and white in IR) then the black colour
is just one effect of a surface that is good at transferring radiation.

Both ways.

If you could have a surface that absorbed better than it radiated, or
vice versa, you'd have free heating (or cooling). TANSTAAFL.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2020 18:49, williamwright wrote:
On 05/10/2020 12:28, JohnP wrote:

A black radiator gives off more heat.

Why should the efficiency of a surface in absorbing light affect its
efficiency in radiating heat?

Because a guy called Kirchhoff said so.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote in news:hu14m7Fpf26U3
@mid.individual.net:

On 05/10/2020 12:28, JohnP wrote:
A black radiator gives off more heat.

Why should the efficiency of a surface in absorbing light affect its
efficiency in radiating heat?

Bill

See the specifications for radiators of the same sizes in different
finishes. It is significant. Reflection must go inwards as it were!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:
On 05/10/2020 18:49, williamwright wrote:
On 05/10/2020 12:28, JohnP wrote:

A black radiator gives off more heat.

Why should the efficiency of a surface in absorbing light affect its
efficiency in radiating heat?

Because a guy called Kirchhoff said so.

As I recall, irrespective of the finish, due to the surface temp over 75%
of the heat transfer to the room from a domestic radiator is via
convection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2020 18:49, williamwright wrote:
On 05/10/2020 12:28, JohnP wrote:
A black radiator gives off more heat.

Why should the efficiency of a surface in absorbing light affect its
efficiency in radiating heat?

and wouldn't the silver coloured steel reflect all the heat back before
it reached the black paint layer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2020 18:49:59, williamwright wrote:
On 05/10/2020 12:28, JohnP wrote:
A black radiator gives off more heat.

Why should the efficiency of a surface in absorbing light affect its
efficiency in radiating heat?

CH radiators will emit strongly in the long wave IR band:
https://www.giangrandi.ch/optics/bla...ient-large.png

It is possible to have a black surface that is reflective in the
infrared. Your typical black anodised aluminium is a good example.

A thick slice of Alumina is a good example of a material that looks
white (good reflector) in the visible but is a strong emitter / absorber
in the IR.

In very general terms a matt surface will absorb/emit in the infrared.

Most non-metallic surfaces are quite good emitters. Aluminium is a very
good reflactor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2020 23:07, Max Demian wrote:
On 05/10/2020 18:49, williamwright wrote:
On 05/10/2020 12:28, JohnP wrote:

A black radiator gives off more heat.

Why should the efficiency of a surface in absorbing light affect its
efficiency in radiating heat?

Because a guy called Kirchhoff said so.

And of course its all ******** because 'a black radiator gives off more
heat' is not qualified in anyway. Bleach washes whiter.

Non black radiators will get hotter....

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2020 23:52, alan_m wrote:
On 05/10/2020 18:49, williamwright wrote:
On 05/10/2020 12:28, JohnP wrote:
A black radiator gives off more heat.

Why should the efficiency of a surface in absorbing light affect its
efficiency in radiating heat?

and wouldn't the silver coloured steel reflect all the heat back before
it reached the black paint layer?Â*

ROFLMAO!

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2020 01:30:10, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 05/10/2020 23:07, Max Demian wrote:
On 05/10/2020 18:49, williamwright wrote:
On 05/10/2020 12:28, JohnP wrote:

A black radiator gives off more heat.

Why should the efficiency of a surface in absorbing light affect its
efficiency in radiating heat?

Because a guy called Kirchhoff said so.

And of course its all ******** because 'a black radiator gives off more
heat' is not qualified in anyway. Bleach washes whiter.

Non black radiators will get hotter....

Non black in visible, or non black in the relevant portion of infrared.

I can assure you they can be black in one and white in the other.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2020 18:49, williamwright wrote:
On 05/10/2020 12:28, JohnP wrote:
A black radiator gives off more heat.

Why should the efficiency of a surface in absorbing light affect its
efficiency in radiating heat?

Bill

This is why heat sinks are often black,

Its all to do with emissivity and black body radiation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:
On 05/10/2020 12:28, JohnP wrote:
A black radiator gives off more heat.

Why should the efficiency of a surface in absorbing light affect its
efficiency in radiating heat?

Because that's very, very basic physics. :-)

You possibly could design a surface that absorbs light well but does't
similarly absorb heat (heat is next down along the em spectrum from
light) but it would be difficult.

--
Chris Green
·