Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Towel Radiator.

I'm doing up the separate loo at the moment. Decided to replace the tiny
rad with a towel rail fed from the central heating. More for looks than
anything else.

Have one in the bathroom which is SS and came from TLC. So ordered up a
smaller but similar one.

Then found I could have bought a chrome plated one from Screwfix for a lot
less.

Have I wasted money?

When I fitted my chrome plated towel radiator from SF I found that the
chrome started to flake off everywhere I inserted a fitting - at the two
connectors points for the valves and the two air release points. While
cosmetically the missing chrome is insignificant it did indicate to me
that the plating wasn't well bonded. However a few years later and with
towels being placed on the radiator on a daily basis there is no further
signs of the plating being damaged and no signs of rust as I've seen on
other people's towel rails.

BTW my towel radiator came with a couple of valves which were totally
crap. They were replaced shortly after the towel radiator was first fitted.

Don't forget in a small loo a towel radiator may/will be used as a
convenient handle to grab to help oneself off the loo seat. Just make
sure tat thewall fixings are really secure.