Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Covid App

The NHS Covid 19 tracing App, is available for donwload this morning.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 September 2020 08:28:07 UTC+1, wrote:
The NHS Covid 19 tracing App, is available for donwload this morning.

It was available for download yesterday - at least by 23:00.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/09/23...-covid-19-app/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2020 08:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The NHS Covid 19 tracing App, is available for donwload this morning.

I doubt many people will.

It looks a bit like an invitation to be told to self isolate without any
strong evidence covid and then it will provide strong evidence for a
fine if you don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2020 08:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The NHS Covid 19 tracing App, is available for donwload this morning.

we have had it in Scotland for ages....good old Nicola ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2020 08:50, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 24/09/2020 08:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The NHS Covid 19 tracing App, is available for donwload this morning.

we have had it in Scotland for ages....good old Nicola ....

but I would never use it...and not just because I have a nokia 1100....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2020 08:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The NHS Covid 19 tracing App, is available for donwload this morning.

I only get offered the NI one when I visit the app store directly.

I can get to the right place by browsing from a PC but not when I try
the same thing on my Android phone. The reviewers rate it as risible!

1.6* at present on a fairly large number of dissatisfied reviews.

https://covid19.nhs.uk/

Direct links

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d19.production

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1520427663

Apple one only has one review at present which gave it 5*.

"World beaten" track and trace app. Generic and unstable.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2020 08:48, Pancho wrote:
On 24/09/2020 08:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The NHS Covid 19 tracing App, is available for donwload this morning.

I doubt many people will.

It looks a bit like an invitation to be told to self isolate without any
strong evidence covid and then it will provide strong evidence for a
fine if you don't.

I agree the new penalties introduced by Boris are counter productive
especially as it appears that for many getting a test result quickly is
impossible.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2020 10:32, Michael Chare wrote:
On 24/09/2020 08:48, Pancho wrote:
On 24/09/2020 08:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The NHS Covid 19 tracing App, is available for donwload this morning.

I doubt many people will.

It looks a bit like an invitation to be told to self isolate without
any strong evidence covid and then it will provide strong evidence for
a fine if you don't.

I agree the new penalties introduced by Boris are counter productive
especially as it appears that for many getting a test result quickly is
impossible.

If you are contacted by the telephone system as having a close contact
with a confirmed case, will they tell you *when* that contact took
place? You really need to know this otherwise you could be isolating for
days more than is required by the system. I bet they don't though: do
they cite data protection and say isolate for fourteen days from now?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 08:28:02 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

The NHS Covid 19 tracing App, is available for donwload this morning.

s/NHS/Guverment/

It has very little to do with the NHS as far as I can tell, it's all been
contracted out to the highest bidder, who is friends with ... or
something or other ... NO CARRIER

Avpx

--
He didn't look mad, but they never did.
(Strata)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 24/09/2020 12:22, The Nomad wrote:
It has very little to do with the NHS as far as I can tell, it's all been
contracted out to the highest bidder, who is friends with ... or
something or other ... NO CARRIER

Wont cant download it. It will create a voluntary lockdown. My
understanding is if one gets contacted who then contact 20 others then
that 20 contact 20 others who then.............until eventually the
entire population has benn contacted to isolate.

I will stick to my normal behaviour, until I feel ill I will just get on
with life.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2020 10:14, Martin Brown wrote:
On 24/09/2020 08:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The NHS Covid 19 tracing App, is available for donwload this morning.

I only get offered the NI one when I visit the app store directly.

Answering my own question it seems it requires a minimum of Android 6.

I can get to the right place by browsing from a PC but not when I try
the same thing on my Android phone. The reviewers rate it as risible!

1.6* at present on a fairly large number of dissatisfied reviews.

https://covid19.nhs.uk/

Direct links

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d19.production

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1520427663

Apple one only has one review at present which gave it 5*.

"World beaten" track and trace app. Generic and unstable.

If I want to use it I will have to buy a new Android phone. The
incredibly bad reviews from early adopters suggest it isn't worth it!

It will work on my wife's iPhone so since we are seldom apart these days
with working from home putting it on that will have to do.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

If I want to use it I will have to buy a new Android phone.

If your phone is from 2014, you might have stronger reasons to upgrade...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The NHS Covid 19 tracing App, is available for donwload this morning.

s/NHS/Guverment/

It has very little to do with the NHS as far as I can tell, it's all been
contracted out to the highest bidder, who is friends with ... or
something or other ... NO CARRIER

Avpx

The fact that it has been branded NHS means that if it doesn't work too
well it will be the NHSs fault.

It was mentioned on the radio this morning that it only helps if there
is already an effective working track and trace in place, which from all
evidence doesn't apply to the UK. It doesn't replace the existing T&T
system nor can it replace the lack of timely testing.

If the latter two don't work the app is very unlikely to make any
difference. If used by the "authorities" in the wrong way by isolating
too many people who don't end up having the virus it could destroy the
credibility of the whole T&T system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yup. Off on an IT tangent, this from the Guardian this morning

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-what-happened

Not everyone's choice of read, I know, but this article had a certain
ring of truth about it. Certainly I have been very happy with my use of
the system for car tax, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2020 14:06, newshound wrote:

Yup. Off on an IT tangent, this from the Guardian this morning

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-what-happened

Not everyone's choice of read, I know, but this article had a certain
ring of truth about it. Certainly I have been very happy with my use of
the system for car tax, etc.

I've never worked for government but the idea that IT projects are
ruined by entrenched power structures within an organisation rings very
true. It is often the politics rather than technology that destroys
software projects.

Multiple, arbitrarily conflicting, user "requirements" leading to
unnecessary complexity that stifles software development, when much
simpler standard IT software could have been developed if independent
users were willing to adapt to it, rather than insist that the software
was adapted to them.

It was one of the reasons I was hopeful that Dom Cummings might make a
difference. Unfortunately being clever enough to understand the problem
is not the same as being clever enough to solve the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2020 13:21, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

If I want to use it I will have to buy a new Android phone.

If your phone is from 2014, you might have stronger reasons to upgrade...

The only one that bothers me is that its battery is at end of life and
there is a chunk missing from the gorilla glass screen. Otherwise it
still performs perfectly well as a mobile phone. I almost never browse
the internet with it (apart from to find NHS Covid-19 app). I do
sometimes use it as a wifi hotspot when no alternative is available.

It could get hacked but if it did then I would have to bin it.
I don't do *anything* with it that needs to be remotely secure.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 12:08:25 +0100, newshound wrote:

[...]

And you aren't checkout 'out' of wherever you checked 'in' until
midnight, or you check in somewhere else. Someone has publiched a QR code
for the fictional "Specsavers, Barnard Castle"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 September 2020 08:50:34 UTC+1, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 24/09/2020 08:47, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Thursday, 24 September 2020 08:28:07 UTC+1, wrote:
The NHS Covid 19 tracing App, is available for donwload this morning.

It was available for download yesterday - at least by 23:00.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/09/23...-covid-19-app/

picky picky

It was intended to highlight the extreme lack of fanfare. It was just slipped out sometime yesterday.

Being available for download this morning is just as true - regardless whether it was available yesterday or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2020 15:10, Pancho wrote:
On 24/09/2020 14:06, newshound wrote:

Yup. Off on an IT tangent, this from the Guardian this morning

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-what-happened

Not everyone's choice of read, I know, but this article had a certain
ring of truth about it. Certainly I have been very happy with my use
of the system for car tax, etc.

I've never worked for government but the idea that IT projects are
ruined by entrenched power structures within an organisation rings very
true. It is often the politics rather than technology that destroys
software projects.

You might think that, I couldn't possibly say it :-)

Multiple, arbitrarily conflicting, user "requirements" leading to
unnecessary complexity that stifles software development, when much
simpler standard IT software could have been developed if independent
users were willing to adapt to it, rather than insist that the software
was adapted to them.

Those bloody users again, we'd be fine if we didn't have to pander to them

It was one of the reasons I was hopeful that Dom Cummings might make a
difference. Unfortunately being clever enough to understand the problem
is not the same as being clever enough to solve the problem.

I've had the same thought. Also, of course, he isn't trying to solve the
same problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 12:41:14 +0100, ss wrote:

Wont cant download it. It will create a voluntary lockdown. My
understanding is if one gets contacted who then contact 20 others then
that 20 contact 20 others who then.............until eventually the
entire population has benn contacted to isolate.

Pretty sure it only alerts primary contacts it does not cascade down
through second, third, fourth, etc. If an orgins primary contact
reports a postive test then their primary contacts are alerted ie the
origins second but only after an orgins primary contact has reported
a positive test.

Don't think other members of an alerted primary contacts household
have to isolate until that primary contact has symptoms or a positive
test.

Big problem at the moment is the apparent lack of avialabilty of
slots to get tested within a sensible distance and getting the
results back quickly. "Quickly" meaning within 36 hours.

Our nearest testing stations are 20+ miles away. Not sure how those
that don't have their own transport are supposed to get to them.
Virtually no public transport, not that some one going for a test
should be using anyway, as by definition of "going for a test" they
are symptomatic...

I will stick to my normal behaviour, until I feel ill I will just get on
with life.

Is that "old normal" or "new normal" way of life?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 24/09/2020 15:10, Pancho wrote:
On 24/09/2020 14:06, newshound wrote:

Yup. Off on an IT tangent, this from the Guardian this morning

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-what-happened

Not everyone's choice of read, I know, but this article had a certain
ring of truth about it. Certainly I have been very happy with my use
of the system for car tax, etc.

I've never worked for government but the idea that IT projects are
ruined by entrenched power structures within an organisation rings very
true. It is often the politics rather than technology that destroys
software projects.

You might think that, I couldn't possibly say it :-)

The other thing is 'a little learning' by the customer.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Sep 2020 14:36:49 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

And you aren't checkout 'out' of wherever you checked 'in' until
midnight, or you check in somewhere else.

Yes that struck me as a bit daft. You checkin at say 1800 and
physically leave at 2000. Some one infectious comes in at 2015
triggering a "hot
spot" and the contact tracers waste their time trying to contact
you... Now if you could "beep out" the contact tracers would know not
to call you.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pancho" wrote in message

It was one of the reasons I was hopeful that Dom Cummings might make a difference.
Unfortunately being clever enough to understand the problem is not the same as being
clever enough to solve the problem.

This being the same "Dom Cummings" whose hero is John Hoskyns ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hoskyns

Who by the use of impressive looking flow charts managed to convince
Margaret Thatcher that the only real obstacles to Britains future prosperity
were the Civil Service and the over mighty trade unions.

Well that one didn't turn out too well by the looks of things, did it ?

So that here's littel Dommy, 40 years later with *his* impressive looking
flow charts proving that the only real obstacles to Britains future prosperity
are the Civil Service and the EU.

It does sort of make you wonder exactly who they're going to blame
next, doesn't it.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 September 2020 20:01:28 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

It does sort of make you wonder exactly who they're going to blame
next, doesn't it.

No. They have already pointed at young people, the public, "the Labour party", Seabourne Freight (for going bust), and "anyone but me".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You are a bit behind its been on my Iphone since last night. I see it uses
the google/apple secure API, but one issue is of course how do you judge
distance merely from a radio signal between two phones of different makes?
You can't of course.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please