Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pancho Pancho is offline

Default Covid App

On 24/09/2020 14:06, newshound wrote:

Yup. Off on an IT tangent, this from the Guardian this morning

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-what-happened

Not everyone's choice of read, I know, but this article had a certain
ring of truth about it. Certainly I have been very happy with my use of
the system for car tax, etc.

I've never worked for government but the idea that IT projects are
ruined by entrenched power structures within an organisation rings very
true. It is often the politics rather than technology that destroys
software projects.

Multiple, arbitrarily conflicting, user "requirements" leading to
unnecessary complexity that stifles software development, when much
simpler standard IT software could have been developed if independent
users were willing to adapt to it, rather than insist that the software
was adapted to them.

It was one of the reasons I was hopeful that Dom Cummings might make a
difference. Unfortunately being clever enough to understand the problem
is not the same as being clever enough to solve the problem.