Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mistake!

I tried installing Avast on W7pro 32bit.

Now I'm struggling to uninstall it:-(
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 15:24:50 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
I tried installing Avast on W7pro 32bit.

Now I'm struggling to uninstall it:-(

I think you might need one or more of the uninstaller tools.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2020 15:24, Tim Lamb wrote:

I tried installing Avast on W7pro 32bit.

Now I'm struggling to uninstall it:-(

They have an uninstaller:

https://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
polygonum_on_google writes
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 15:24:50 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
I tried installing Avast on W7pro 32bit.

Now I'm struggling to uninstall it:-(

I think you might need one or more of the uninstaller tools.

Windows is said to be uninstalling it but 45minutes?

I want to get rid of the *secure* browser that piggy backed in with it.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2020 15:39, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
polygonum_on_google writes
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 15:24:50 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
I tried installing Avast on W7pro 32bit.

Now I'm struggling to uninstall it:-(

I think you might need one or more of the uninstaller tools.

Windows is said to be uninstalling it but 45minutes?

I want to get rid of the *secure* browser that piggy backed in with it.

When all else fails a Linux liveCD will remove just about any files from
a Win7 HD. The problem comes with knowing /what/ files to delete,
especially if they just have a cryptic name and run automatically to
reinstall anything you have deleted if they can't find it at boot. Just
make sure you have a complete backup first in case you delete anything
which makes the machine unbootable.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2020 15:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
I tried installing Avast on W7pro 32bit.

Now I'm struggling to uninstall it:-(

Why did you deliberately install a virus?

10 years ago Avast may have been a good virus checker but then they
decided to redesign it to spew thousands of random named files all over
your hard disk. It has all the attributes of a well designed virus!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2020 15:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
I tried installing Avast on W7pro 32bit.

Now I'm struggling to uninstall it:-(

/Next/ time you decide to do something like this, create a restore point!

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
polygonum_on_google writes
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 15:24:50 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
I tried installing Avast on W7pro 32bit.

Now I'm struggling to uninstall it:-(

I think you might need one or more of the uninstaller tools.

Windows is said to be uninstalling it but 45minutes?

I want to get rid of the *secure* browser that piggy backed in with it.

It's apparently a Chrome-alike. Chrome-alikes may use the same
delivery mechanism, which is a compressed file with an uninstaller
executable next to it. Of course, being Avast, they don't
have to do it this way. This is just a hint. And it's probably
too late anyway, as an in-flight operation would likely block
any other attempts at removal. OSes don't like running parallel
uninstalls, from a state-tracking perspective.

Find the setup which is next to a ~150MB .7z file, which holds
a copy of the entire installation.

if a chromium installation:

setup.exe --uninstall

if a chrome installation:

setup.exe --uninstall --multi-install --chrome --system-level

******* End - Previous instructions for Chrome *******

However. Avast do provide a separate tool for removal.

https://support.avast.com/en-nz/arti...Secure-Browser

https://download.avastbrowser.com/av..._uninstall.exe

Since I can only get their blasted product by using a 3.1MB stub
installer, no, I'm not testing that. If they'd provided a
standalone installer file, I could take a look for telltale signs.

*******

By the way, you only install Avast after doing a backup...
Because, reasons... What would those reasons be I wonder ?
Something to to with the history of Avast and their
shenanigans ???

Always check Wiki for a "Controversy" section.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avast

"Controversy"

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2020 17:01, Max Demian wrote:
On 23/09/2020 15:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
I tried installing Avast on W7pro 32bit.

Now I'm struggling to uninstall it:-(

/Next/ time you decide to do something like this, create a restore point!

More usefully, you could check to see whether there's a suitable (i.e.
recent) automatic restore point.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 23/09/2020 15:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
I tried installing Avast on W7pro 32bit.

Now I'm struggling to uninstall it:-(

Why did you deliberately install a virus?

10 years ago Avast may have been a good virus checker but then they decided to redesign
it to spew thousands of random named files all over your hard disk. It has all the
attributes of a well designed virus!

You're wasted on here.

Ever think of volunteering for the Samaritans ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 23/09/2020 15:24, Tim Lamb wrote:

I tried installing Avast on W7pro 32bit.
Now I'm struggling to uninstall it:-(

They have an uninstaller:

https://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe

I used the Windows uninstaller and, after a couple of re-starts, I think
it has gone.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Max
Demian writes
On 23/09/2020 15:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
I tried installing Avast on W7pro 32bit.
Now I'm struggling to uninstall it:-(

/Next/ time you decide to do something like this, create a restore point!

Indeed! I have a current back up on a caddy.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is a program you can use. It runs in safe mode so it can remove all
the services . Otherwise they are running all the time and hence will not be
removable.
avastclear I think its called.
Avast is a virus in my view.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
I tried installing Avast on W7pro 32bit.

Now I'm struggling to uninstall it:-(
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2020 08:10, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes please do not do this as avast, the last time I looked used its own
versions of windows files with exactly the same names, so this is why you
need the tool and do the system file check and fix thing. That will then put
back the correct versions of the files.

Also be aware that AVG is showing signs of going down the same route.

Avast acquired AVG in 2017...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2020 15:11, Tim Streater wrote:
On 24 Sep 2020 at 14:46:37 BST, John Rumm
wrote:

On 24/09/2020 08:10, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes please do not do this as avast, the last time I looked used its own
versions of windows files with exactly the same names, so this is why you
need the tool and do the system file check and fix thing. That will then put
back the correct versions of the files.

Also be aware that AVG is showing signs of going down the same route.

Avast acquired AVG in 2017...

Avast? AVG? What are these things, for we know them not.

Things that Mac/Linux users think they don't need :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" Wrote in message:
Yes please do not do this as avast, the last time I looked used its own
versions of windows files with exactly the same names, so this is why you
need the tool and do the system file check and fix thing. That will then put
back the correct versions of the files.

Also be aware that AVG is showing signs of going down the same route.
Brian

AVG as owned by Avast?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Mistake after mistake... Dukester Woodworking 20 April 26th 04 04:19 PM
Repairing mistake Joe Nation Woodworking 9 February 4th 04 06:58 AM
stoopid-ass mistake: plate jointer kickback J.B. Bobbitt Woodworking 5 September 18th 03 05:32 PM
Gel stain mistake Albert Woodworking 3 August 11th 03 04:23 AM
super-topical - another gahdamned mistake!! longish brocpuffs Woodworking 3 August 9th 03 05:12 AM