Albert

Default Gel stain mistake

Was working late last night on some kitchen cabinets carcasses made of
Cherry plywood. After sanding etc, I normally apply the Cherry colored
gel stain, then wipe and allow to dry for 24 hours. After, that I'll
wipe on a thin coat of clear shellac, then sand and apply a few coats
of poly.

HOWEVER, last night I totally spaced-out and forgot to apply the gel
stain and simply applied the shellac!!!!!!!!!

Question is.......

CAN I SAND OFF THE SHELLAC, APPLY THE GEL STAIN AHD STILL GET GOOD
RESULTS (no blotchiness)?? WILL THE GEL STAIN STILL WORK?

Thanks for your advice.

-Albert
Bob S.

Albert,

The finishing experts will chime in to correct me but gel stains are like
using a glaze - it just sits on top with very little penetration. The
shellac should act like a sealer and prevent blotching. I would sand it
down, clean off any dust with a tack cloth and try your stain again. Worse
case - you'll have to clean it off (mineral spirits) and then sand down to
bare wood.

Bob S.

"Albert" wrote in message
om...
Was working late last night on some kitchen cabinets carcasses made of
Cherry plywood. After sanding etc, I normally apply the Cherry colored
gel stain, then wipe and allow to dry for 24 hours. After, that I'll
wipe on a thin coat of clear shellac, then sand and apply a few coats
of poly.

HOWEVER, last night I totally spaced-out and forgot to apply the gel
stain and simply applied the shellac!!!!!!!!!

Question is.......

CAN I SAND OFF THE SHELLAC, APPLY THE GEL STAIN AHD STILL GET GOOD
RESULTS (no blotchiness)?? WILL THE GEL STAIN STILL WORK?

Thanks for your advice.

-Albert

Baron

Gel stains don't really have the correct formulation to be used as a
glaze. Sealing it in could be a problem. Since the only thing on the piece
is shellac, it may as well be removed with alcohol. Don't sand away the
wood just to remove shellac. After stripping off the shellac, use the
normal finishing schedule. Shellac is removed easily with multiple wipings
of alcohol.

Good Luck.

Remove ngs to reply.

"Bob S." wrote in message
Albert,

The finishing experts will chime in to correct me but gel stains are like
using a glaze - it just sits on top with very little penetration. The
shellac should act like a sealer and prevent blotching. I would sand it
down, clean off any dust with a tack cloth and try your stain again.

Worse
case - you'll have to clean it off (mineral spirits) and then sand down to
bare wood.

Bob S.

Albert

Bob & Baron,

THANKS!!!!! It turned out okay after all....

Sanded the cabinet with 150 grit on my orbital sander - then applied
the gelstain and let it soak for a bit longer than ususal. Wiped it
off and the cabinets looks great.

However, I will remember, per your advice that alcohol can remove
shellac. I had already sanded the cabinets before I read that piece of
advice.

Thanks again!

-Albert