Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default haha

On 15/09/2020 16:19, GB wrote:
On 15/09/2020 14:58, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/09/2020 14:48, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toilet-Se...AOSwnJVc~4g x

that will work ha ha

It's a pretty standard design. What makes you think it won't work?

Define 'work' ?.

what about square bogs that seem to be rather common these
days ?.

Students used to use clingfilm to achieve a similar effect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/09/2020 16:31, Andrew wrote:
On 15/09/2020 16:19, GB wrote:
On 15/09/2020 14:58, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/09/2020 14:48, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toilet-Se...AOSwnJVc~4g x

that will work ha ha

It's a pretty standard design. What makes you think it won't work?

Define 'work' ?.

what about square bogs that seem to be rather common these
days ?.
Students used to use clingfilm to achieve a similar effect.

Would cling film keep a reasonable head of water out?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2020 16:19, GB wrote:
On 15/09/2020 14:58, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/09/2020 14:48, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toilet-Se...AOSwnJVc~4g x

that will work ha ha

It's a pretty standard design. What makes you think it won't work?

Define 'work' ?.

what about square bogs that seem to be rather common these
days ?.
Â* Students used to use clingfilm to achieve a similar effect.

Would cling film keep a reasonable head of water out?

Floodwater is rarely a 'reasonable head of water'.

No point sealing the bog, when sewage-contaminated flood
water comes through the air bricks, up through the ground
under the building, under the doors, ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2020 16:38, Andrew wrote:
No point sealing the bog, when sewage-contaminated flood
water comes through the air bricks, up through the ground
under the building, under the doors, ...

In some circumstances the floodwater comes up through the sewers but is
not on the ground. It's quite common.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/09/2020 16:19, GB wrote:
On 15/09/2020 14:58, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/09/2020 14:48, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toilet-Se...AOSwnJVc~4g x

that will work ha ha

It's a pretty standard design. What makes you think it won't work?

Define 'work' ?.

what about square bogs that seem to be rather common these
days ?.
Â* Students used to use clingfilm to achieve a similar effect.

Would cling film keep a reasonable head of water out?

Floodwater is rarely a 'reasonable head of water'.

No point sealing the bog, when sewage-contaminated flood
water comes through the air bricks, up through the ground
under the building, under the doors, ...

Equally, there's no point seeing to all those if you don't also seal the
loo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking williamwright wrote :
In some circumstances the floodwater comes up through the sewers but is not
on the ground. It's quite common.

I doubt that gadget would help much, when the pressure simply needs to
blow off the pan connector at the back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/09/2020 17:15, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking williamwright wrote :
In some circumstances the floodwater comes up through the sewers but
is not on the ground. It's quite common.

I doubt that gadget would help much, when the pressure simply needs to
blow off the pan connector at the back.

Interesting. I have struggled to get those on in the past, so say it
takes 20kg pull to get it off. The cross section is around 100 sq cms.
So, it would take a 2m head of water to pull it off. Is my maths right?

Obviously, a straight connector won't come off at all. A 90% degree
connector would get support from the waste pipe, which I haven't allowed
for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 15/09/2020 16:19, GB wrote:
On 15/09/2020 14:58, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/09/2020 14:48, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toilet-Se...AOSwnJVc~4g x

that will work ha ha

It's a pretty standard design. What makes you think it won't work?

Define 'work' ?.

what about square bogs that seem to be rather common these
days ?.

Students used to use clingfilm to achieve a similar effect.

I saw someone unblock a toilet once using cling film, it was in a hotel.

It seemed to be well and truly backed up. After I called reception, he
appeared quite quickly and, out of habit I showed him to the problem.
Before I even left the room, he had the seat up and was stretching cling
film across the throne.

Intrigued I stayed to watch.

He flushed the toilet, the cling film ballooned up (air only), and he
pressed it down with the lid.

The blockage cleared. A couple of flushes and off he went.

It couldnt have taken 10 minutes, probably nearer 5.

No dirty rods or plungers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2020 23:09, Radio Man wrote:
Andrew wrote:
On 15/09/2020 16:19, GB wrote:
[...]

What if the cling film breaks? It's very weak stuff.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 15/09/2020 16:19, GB wrote:
[...]

Nothing. Try again

"Saki"

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

I saw someone unblock a toilet once using cling film, it was in a hotel.

It seemed to be well and truly backed up. After I called reception, he
appeared quite quickly and, out of habit I showed him to the problem.
Before I even left the room, he had the seat up and was stretching cling
film across the throne.

Intrigued I stayed to watch.

He flushed the toilet, the cling film ballooned up (air only), and he
pressed it down with the lid.

The blockage cleared. A couple of flushes and off he went.

It couldnt have taken 10 minutes, probably nearer 5.

No dirty rods or plungers.

What if the cling film breaks? It's very weak stuff.

Nothing. Try again

Usually, when clearing blockages, it works better to pull with a force
cup, rather than push.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2020 17:15, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking williamwright wrote :
In some circumstances the floodwater comes up through the sewers but
is not on the ground. It's quite common.

I doubt that gadget would help much, when the pressure simply needs to
blow off the pan connector at the back.

There might not be much pressure, because the head might not be very
great. There's a field near where I was brought up and the bottom part
of it, which was flat, flooded every year. We used to skate on it. In
the 90s houses were built on the whole field. The ground flooding wasn't
a problem because the dyke nearby was cleaned out and pumps installed
downstream. But a few years ago the main drain blocked at the end of the
new estate. This meant that the sewage backed up. A guy who was working
for me at the time, whose house was on the flat bit, rang that morning
to say he couldn't come in. The toilet under the stairs was full to the
brim; in fact sewage was slowly overflowing from it. By lunchtime the
whole downstairs floor was flooded to the depth of the back door
threshold, with sewage dribbling from there into the garden.
Mid-afternoon the blockage was cleared and the toilet appeared normal.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2020 17:23, GB wrote:
On 15/09/2020 17:15, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking williamwright wrote :
In some circumstances the floodwater comes up through the sewers but
is not on the ground. It's quite common.

I doubt that gadget would help much, when the pressure simply needs to
blow off the pan connector at the back.

Interesting. I have struggled to get those on in the past, so say it
takes 20kg pull to get it off. The cross section is around 100 sq cms.
So, it would take a 2m head of water to pull it off. Is my maths right?

Obviously, a straight connector won't come off at all. A 90% degree
connector would get support from the waste pipe, which I haven't allowed
for.

Following disastrous floods my friend's house was repaired at six-figure
cost by Legal and General. It has been 'flood proofed'. This involves
flood gates at all entrances, flood-proof air bricks, a pump under the
floor that keeps a sump empty, stop taps on all small drains, and a
thing that fits into the downstairs toilet and inflates.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 11:17, GB wrote:
Usually, when clearing blockages, it works better to pull with a force
cup, rather than push.

Depends whether you're the midwife or the patient.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 15/09/2020 16:19, GB wrote:
[...]

Muchhhh cheaper than Pimlico plumbers too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 15/09/2020 16:19, GB wrote:
[...]

what do you expect of a London company ? ....