Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aluminium Primer

What is the point of Aluminium? How does that work?

I am using some old boat primer I found in the back of the shed. It
doesn't even dissolve in white Spirit so it must be good stuff, but why
is it full of glittery aluminium flakes?

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 2:59:00 PM UTC+1, TimW wrote:
What is the point of Aluminium? How does that work?

I am using some old boat primer I found in the back of the shed. It
doesn't even dissolve in white Spirit so it must be good stuff, but why
is it full of glittery aluminium flakes?

TW

Used on oily, resinous or previously creosoted timber before painting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 07:14:02 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 2:59:00 PM UTC+1, TimW wrote:
What is the point of Aluminium? How does that work?

I am using some old boat primer I found in the back of the shed. It
doesn't even dissolve in white Spirit so it must be good stuff, but why
is it full of glittery aluminium flakes?

TW

Used on oily, resinous or previously creosoted timber before painting.

I used it on wood that had been soaked after a roof leak and it worked
a treat. I think it will dissolve eventually unless there is
something wrong with it. I used a petroleum type spirit and after a
lot of stirring it dissolved.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 September 2020 14:59:00 UTC+1, TimW wrote:
What is the point of Aluminium? How does that work?

I am using some old boat primer I found in the back of the shed. It
doesn't even dissolve in white Spirit so it must be good stuff, but why
is it full of glittery aluminium flakes?

TW

A metal barrier stops stuff bleeding through, eg stains, burnt smells etc.

NT