Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to fix a post in shallow soil (sewer? below)?

I need to fix a fencing post into some ground where there's only 12"
or maybe a bit more depth before one hits what looks like a concrete
sewer pipe.

The posts I'm using (for the rest of the fence) are 6' ones with about
2' in the ground.

What can I do to fix a post in this shallow ground - or what other
options do I have? It's a post at one side of a gate (not the one
carrying the gate) so I can's support it with a top rail.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
What can I do to fix a post in this shallow ground - or what other
options do I have? It's a post at one side of a gate (not the one
carrying the gate) so I can's support it with a top rail.

Cast a concrete 'paving slab' with a collar mounted in it? Then bolt/screw
the post into the slab. If you ever need access you can lift the slab - you
might add hook(s) for that. The slab will spread the load so it isn't all
over the pipe, and ballast the post.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2020 15:41, Chris Green wrote:
I need to fix a fencing post into some ground where there's only 12"
or maybe a bit more depth before one hits what looks like a concrete
sewer pipe.

The posts I'm using (for the rest of the fence) are 6' ones with about
2' in the ground.

What can I do to fix a post in this shallow ground - or what other
options do I have? It's a post at one side of a gate (not the one
carrying the gate) so I can's support it with a top rail.

I can think of two possible ways to deal with this.

1) Fill the ground with concrete and use a surface fixing.

2) Fit a post to the full depth as close as possible to the end one and
join the two with strong horizontal rails.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2020 15:41, Chris Green wrote:
I need to fix a fencing post into some ground where there's only 12"
or maybe a bit more depth before one hits what looks like a concrete
sewer pipe.

The posts I'm using (for the rest of the fence) are 6' ones with about
2' in the ground.

What can I do to fix a post in this shallow ground - or what other
options do I have? It's a post at one side of a gate (not the one
carrying the gate) so I can's support it with a top rail.

Wood or concrete posts? If wood I'd bridge the pipe with a slab
supported by "foundations" either side of the pipe (removing soil under
the slab so there's no weight on the pipe itself) and use a bolt-down
support.

If concrete posts, err... pass.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2020 15:41, Chris Green wrote:
I need to fix a fencing post into some ground where there's only 12"
or maybe a bit more depth before one hits what looks like a concrete
sewer pipe.

The posts I'm using (for the rest of the fence) are 6' ones with about
2' in the ground.

What can I do to fix a post in this shallow ground - or what other
options do I have? It's a post at one side of a gate (not the one
carrying the gate) so I can's support it with a top rail.

Do you mean concrete (likely to be large diameter?) or glazed ceramic
about, what, 20cm diameter?

That said, I'd probably agree with other posters. Cast a concrete slab
or buy a good quality commercial one. With the latter, you could simply
bolt a Metpost surface mount socket to it with ordinary zinc plated
bolts and through holes (big washers on the bottom side). You could set
that assembly on the surface or into a hole a few inches deep and
backfill with earth for grass depending on the aesthetics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can you arrange it so the shock of the gate closing is into your property,
if you can you could use a bracing strut on the post. In my experience its
the hard closing of the gate that dislodges shallow posts.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Green" wrote in message
I need to fix a fencing post into some ground where there's only 12"
or maybe a bit more depth before one hits what looks like a concrete
sewer pipe.

The posts I'm using (for the rest of the fence) are 6' ones with about
2' in the ground.

What can I do to fix a post in this shallow ground - or what other
options do I have? It's a post at one side of a gate (not the one
carrying the gate) so I can's support it with a top rail.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
What can I do to fix a post in this shallow ground - or what other
options do I have? It's a post at one side of a gate (not the one
carrying the gate) so I can's support it with a top rail.

Cast a concrete 'paving slab' with a collar mounted in it? Then bolt/screw
the post into the slab. If you ever need access you can lift the slab - you
might add hook(s) for that. The slab will spread the load so it isn't all
over the pipe, and ballast the post.

I have some actual paving slabs that would do the job, good idea,
thank you.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar wrote:
On 02/09/2020 15:41, Chris Green wrote:
I need to fix a fencing post into some ground where there's only 12"
or maybe a bit more depth before one hits what looks like a concrete
sewer pipe.

The posts I'm using (for the rest of the fence) are 6' ones with about
2' in the ground.

What can I do to fix a post in this shallow ground - or what other
options do I have? It's a post at one side of a gate (not the one
carrying the gate) so I can's support it with a top rail.

I can think of two possible ways to deal with this.

1) Fill the ground with concrete and use a surface fixing.

2) Fit a post to the full depth as close as possible to the end one and
join the two with strong horizontal rails.

Yes, 1 would work (like the paving slab idea in the previous reply)
but 2 won't as there really isn't anywhere close that doesn't have the
same limited depth.

I think something on the lines of 1 is going to be the answer.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 02/09/2020 15:41, Chris Green wrote:
I need to fix a fencing post into some ground where there's only 12"
or maybe a bit more depth before one hits what looks like a concrete
sewer pipe.

The posts I'm using (for the rest of the fence) are 6' ones with about
2' in the ground.

What can I do to fix a post in this shallow ground - or what other
options do I have? It's a post at one side of a gate (not the one
carrying the gate) so I can's support it with a top rail.

Do you mean concrete (likely to be large diameter?) or glazed ceramic
about, what, 20cm diameter?

It's a concrete pipe of some sort under the surface.

That said, I'd probably agree with other posters. Cast a concrete slab
or buy a good quality commercial one. With the latter, you could simply
bolt a Metpost surface mount socket to it with ordinary zinc plated
bolts and through holes (big washers on the bottom side). You could set
that assembly on the surface or into a hole a few inches deep and
backfill with earth for grass depending on the aesthetics.

Yes, I think this is the answer, thanks all!

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
Can you arrange it so the shock of the gate closing is into your property,
if you can you could use a bracing strut on the post. In my experience its
the hard closing of the gate that dislodges shallow posts.

It's all on my property, this is a gate to a chicken run. Bracing
struts in some shape or form are the alternative to the paving slab
solution.

It's all a bit 'tight' is the problem, quick ASCII art:-

__.___.___.___.___.___.___.___. existing fence

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 3 Sep 2020 09:38:09 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
Can you arrange it so the shock of the gate closing is into your property,
if you can you could use a bracing strut on the post. In my experience its
the hard closing of the gate that dislodges shallow posts.

It's all on my property, this is a gate to a chicken run. Bracing
struts in some shape or form are the alternative to the paving slab
solution.

It's all a bit 'tight' is the problem, quick ASCII art:-

__.___.___.___.___.___.___.___. existing fence

.
Gateway
.

New
Fence

It's the post on the short Tee fence that is diffcult to support. The
posts on the longer section of new fence are all in place and sound
enough. I can't move the gate at all for various off-diagram reasons.

I'm going to try some struts from the existing fence as a first
approach, if that doesn't work I put a paving slab down and fix the
post to that, I have a couple of full-size paving slabs.

How about both slabs buried flush, well bedded on sand or a weak mixture,
then drill through both and use a longer bolt that holds the Metpost base
and fastens the slabs together?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away