Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Opening router ports?

Hello,
We are setting up some point of sale at work.
Apparently the client PCs can't get to the server PC and port 1443 needs
to be open.
Does this need to be open on the router? I'd have thought that was for
non local traffic.

But i'm no expert.

If so can anyone assist in opening port 1443 on a Vigor 2860?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Apparently the client PCs can't get to the server PC and port 1443 needs
to be open.
Does this need to be open on the router?

No, not unless it's a cloud-based system, you might give access to the
whole world to you ePOS!

Each PC has it's own local firewall, click start and type "adva" and
click the "windows defender with advanced firewall"

try it on the server first and create an inbound rule for TCP port 1443,
if that doesn't work, then do the same on all client PCs but for an
outbound rule.

If the software was better behaved it would create any required rules
for you during installation ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 09:02, R D S wrote:
Hello,
We are setting up some point of sale at work.
Apparently the client PCs can't get to the server PC and port 1443 needs
to be open.
Does this need to be open on the router? I'd have thought that was for
non local traffic.

Are both PC and server on the same LAN? (opening ports etc, only applies
to traffic between WAN and LAN sides of the router)

But i'm no expert.

If so can anyone assist in opening port 1443 on a Vigor 2860?

If you need to open a port, its done from the NAT menu on the control
panel.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
Hello,
We are setting up some point of sale at work.
Apparently the client PCs can't get to the server PC and port 1443 needs
to be open.
Does this need to be open on the router? I'd have thought that was for
non local traffic.

It only needs to be open on the router if the connection goes through
the router (as opposed to the switch which is also in the 2860).

Are both the client and server PCs on the same subnet? If they are
then the problem almost certainly is nothing to do with the router (I
have had cases where the router's firewall prevents traffic between
things on the same subnet, but it's rare). If the server and client
PCs are on different subnets then the router will need to allow
traffic through its firewall. There may need to be some routing setup
as well.

But i'm no expert.

If so can anyone assist in opening port 1443 on a Vigor 2860?

See above, describe your network (i.e. what are the PCs' IP addresses
etc. and how they're connected to the router), and then it's more
likely we can help.

I have a 2860 so know my way around it fairly well.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S Wrote in message:
Hello,
We are setting up some point of sale at work.
Apparently the client PCs can't get to the server PC and port 1443 needs
to be open.
Does this need to be open on the router? I'd have thought that was for
non local traffic.

But i'm no expert.

If so can anyone assist in opening port 1443 on a Vigor 2860?

There will be a "port forwarding" option on the Vigor, use that.
Do the EPOS clients have static address?
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 09:02, R D S wrote:
Hello,
We are setting up some point of sale at work.
Apparently the client PCs can't get to the server PC and port 1443 needs
to be open.

where is the server, and where are the clients, please?

Does this need to be open on the router? I'd have thought that was for
non local traffic.

You haven't said whether it is local traffic or not

But i'm no expert.

If so can anyone assist in opening port 1443 on a Vigor 2860?

Why, if its local traffic?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 09:25, Andy Burns wrote:
R D S wrote:

Apparently the client PCs can't get to the server PC and port 1443
needs to be open.
Does this need to be open on the router?

No, not unless it's a cloud-based system, you might give access to the
whole world to you ePOS!

Each PC has it's own local firewall, click start and type "adva" and
click the "windows defender with advanced firewall"

try it on the server first and create an inbound rule for TCP port 1443,
if that doesn't work, then do the same on all client PCs but for an
outbound rule.

Interesting, I set up inbound on the server, i'll do outbound on the others.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 09:02, R D S wrote:
Hello,
We are setting up some point of sale at work.
Apparently the client PCs can't get to the server PC and port 1443
needs to be open.

You haven't said whether it is local traffic or not

It's all local.
Currently just 2 PCs connected to a separate switch (only using 1 router
port), with a couple to add.

If so can anyone assist in opening port 1443 on a Vigor 2860?

Why, if its local traffic?

I know, that's mainly why I asked, i've been told it needs doing by the
folk installing the point of sale, but it makes no sense to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 12:41, R D S wrote:
On 21/08/2020 09:02, R D S wrote:
Hello,
We are setting up some point of sale at work.
Apparently the client PCs can't get to the server PC and port 1443
needs to be open.

You haven't said whether it is local traffic or not

It's all local.
Currently just 2 PCs connected to a separate switch (only using 1 router
port), with a couple to add.

If so can anyone assist in opening port 1443 on a Vigor 2860?

Why, if its local traffic?

I know, that's mainly why I asked, i've been told it needs doing by the
folk installing the point of sale, but it makes no sense to me.

If they are all connected to the same switch, and on the same subnet,
then the router does not get a say.

If all on the same switch, and on the same subnet, and there are no
VLANs in use (managed switches only), then the machines should be able
to see each other. The only obstruction that can play a part is the
firewall on each machine.

As a starting test, have you checked that each machine can ping the other?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 12:41, R D S wrote:
On 21/08/2020 09:02, R D S wrote:
Hello,
We are setting up some point of sale at work.
Apparently the client PCs can't get to the server PC and port 1443
needs to be open.

You haven't said whether it is local traffic or not

It's all local.
Currently just 2 PCs connected to a separate switch (only using 1 router
port), with a couple to add.

where is the server?

If so can anyone assist in opening port 1443 on a Vigor 2860?

Why, if its local traffic?

I know, that's mainly why I asked, i've been told it needs doing by the
folk installing the point of sale, but it makes no sense to me.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.

Herbert Spencer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 12:41, R D S wrote:
On 21/08/2020 09:02, R D S wrote:
Hello,
We are setting up some point of sale at work.
Apparently the client PCs can't get to the server PC and port 1443
needs to be open.

You haven't said whether it is local traffic or not

It's all local.
Currently just 2 PCs connected to a separate switch (only using 1 router
port), with a couple to add.

If so can anyone assist in opening port 1443 on a Vigor 2860?

Why, if its local traffic?

I know, that's mainly why I asked, i've been told it needs doing by the
folk installing the point of sale, but it makes no sense to me.

Who owns the server? It is a real server OS, or just some random
"server" cobbled out of a workstation, perhaps belonging to you?

Port 1443 is a common port for MS SQL Server to accept incoming client
connections. If you have an application using this installed on your
server, you need to adjust firewall settings on this machine.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql...l-server-ver15

I'd say 99% nothing to do with router configuration, unless the software
supplying company has some really insecure ideas about remote access.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Port 1443 is a common port for MS SQL Server to accept incoming client
connections.

No, SQL by default uses 1433.

1443 sounds like someone wanting port 443 for TLS, but trying to avoid
conflicts with another web server, so picking x443 for random values of x.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2020 10:21, Andy Burns wrote:
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Port 1443 is a common port for MS SQL Server to accept incoming client
connections.

No, SQL by default uses 1433.

1443 sounds like someone wanting port 443 for TLS, but trying to avoid
conflicts with another web server, so picking x443 for random values of x.

My 2 pennoth

IF the server is on the same LAN as the PC clients the router firewall
is not involved - only the switch

IF the *server* is on a windows piece of **** then by default modern
windows disallows inter-PC communication and it's the firewall on the
*SERVER* windows piece of **** that needs to be opened up to allow the
clients access.

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

IF the *server* is on a windows piece of **** then by default modern
windows disallows inter-PC communication and it's the firewall on the
*SERVER* windows piece of **** that needs to be opened up to allow the
clients access.

Which is what I suggested yesterday, the O/P suggested he'd made a
change on the server and was going to make changes on the client, maybe
he'll report back?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2020 11:04, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

IF the *server* is on a windows piece of **** then by default modern
windows disallows inter-PC communication and it's the firewall on the
*SERVER* windows piece of **** that needs to be opened up to allow the
clients access.

Which is what I suggested yesterday, the O/P suggested he'd made a
change on the server and was going to make changes on the client, maybe
he'll report back?

It's SQL server on windows (8.1, yeah I know)

I've not had chance to mess as it's in a public environment and I can't
be arsed with all the masking up and distancing and such.
I'll have to tinker after hours. But not today!

Thinking about it, for several reasons, it would probably be better on a
PC that we have in a back room running Windows 10. Or I suppose we could
just get a PC that runs as a server alone, it's not like half decent
second user stuff is expensive, is it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Port 1443 is a common port for MS SQL Server to accept incoming client
connections.

No, SQL by default uses 1433.

1443 sounds like someone wanting port 443 for TLS, but trying to avoid
conflicts with another web server, so picking x443 for random values of x.

Oh, now that's interesting, are we in typo territory perhaps? Looks like
we might be fettling the wrong port.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Oh, now that's interesting, are we in typo territory perhaps? Looks like
we might be fettling the wrong port.

if, as you've said, it's SQL server, then rules for 1433 not 1443 will
be right
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2020 09:25, Andy Burns wrote:

try it on the server first and create an inbound rule for TCP port 1443,
if that doesn't work, then do the same on all client PCs but for an
outbound rule.

That had been done but upon checking myself it turns out it was set to
block rather than allow on the client PC.

Christ on a bike why can I not get anything done!?