Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heating long term water usage?

Hi All,

A query re central heating long term maintenance. I replaced mine in its
entirety about 10 years ago - it's a sealed system with new rads, mostly
plastic pipework, and a new boiler about a year after that. It's had Fernox
F1 added at the recommended concentration from the start, supplemented when
needed, and has a magnetic filter on the return to the boiler - which
doesn't collect much of anything. When I've needed to remove a rad the water
is clear, and there is usually only a small amount of what looks like black
iron oxide particles in the very bottom of the radiator.

My query is - do I just continue with an occasional extra bit of F1 added,
or after ten years is it a good idea to drain, wash through with clean
water, and refill with new F1?

Thanks,

Charles F

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2020 07:51, Charles F wrote:
Hi All,

A query re central heating long term maintenance. I replaced mine in its
entirety about 10 years ago - it's a sealed system with new rads, mostly
plastic pipework, and a new boiler about a year after that. It's had Fernox
F1 added at the recommended concentration from the start, supplemented when
needed, and has a magnetic filter on the return to the boiler - which
doesn't collect much of anything. When I've needed to remove a rad the water
is clear, and there is usually only a small amount of what looks like black
iron oxide particles in the very bottom of the radiator.

My query is - do I just continue with an occasional extra bit of F1 added,
or after ten years is it a good idea to drain, wash through with clean
water, and refill with new F1?

Clean fresh water will come with a nice new supply of dissolved oxygen.
I would leave well alone until you need to drain the system for some
other reason. No point in spending extra money on Fernox unnecessarily.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2020 07:51, Charles F wrote:
Hi All,

A query re central heating long term maintenance. I replaced mine in its
entirety about 10 years ago - it's a sealed system with new rads, mostly
plastic pipework, and a new boiler about a year after that. It's had Fernox
F1 added at the recommended concentration from the start, supplemented when
needed, and has a magnetic filter on the return to the boiler - which
doesn't collect much of anything. When I've needed to remove a rad the water
is clear, and there is usually only a small amount of what looks like black
iron oxide particles in the very bottom of the radiator.

My query is - do I just continue with an occasional extra bit of F1 added,
or after ten years is it a good idea to drain, wash through with clean
water, and refill with new F1?

With a nice clean system like yours, there will be no benefit in a
drain and refill (unless you need to for other reasons).

Each time you refill you add fresh oxygenated water, and that will allow
more corrosion - or at least mop up more of the oxygen scavenger in the
corrosion inhibitor.

So basically, keep doing what you are doing.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 07:51:39 +0100, Charles F wrote:

My query is - do I just continue with an occasional extra bit of F1
added, or after ten years is it a good idea to drain, wash through with
clean water, and refill with new F1?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to all three respondents. It's what I'd hoped you'd say, does make
sense - and for once is the easier of the options!

Charles F

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 07:51:39 +0100, Charles F wrote:

My query is - do I just continue with an occasional extra bit of F1
added, or after ten years is it a good idea to drain, wash through with
clean water, and refill with new F1?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Charles F wrote:
My query is - do I just continue with an occasional extra bit of F1
added, or after ten years is it a good idea to drain, wash through with
clean water, and refill with new F1?

Not sure if water deteriorates with age? New is likely to contain things
you don't want like oxygen and calcium.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.