Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outdoor Shower- help needed

Hi all - I have a outdoor hot water tap and a outdoor cold outdoor water tap located close to each other. I would like to build a shower about 10 metres away and run a hose between the taps and the shower rather than plumbing in the shower. I'm wondered if I can connect these taps to an outdoor shower and if so how? Do I need something to value to stop the hot water and cold water mixing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If these taps are bib taps and installed in the last few years then they will likely have inbuilt non- return valves which should prevent cross contamination. Alternatively you can install non-return valves in the pipe work before the taps.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Jimk wrote :
Can they be connected to hoses?

They are not designed to, but I suppose one could be adapted to a hose.

They are intended to be connected to the copper pipes as input (H&C)
and copper pipe as output. I have one, a preset temperature type (but
adjustable), under the downstsirs toilet washbasin, with a single tap
as output. Water comes out the tap at just the right temperture for
hand washing.

For bathing the dogs, I fit a hose to the tap and bath them in my drive
using a spray head on the hose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 08:55:31 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk wrote:

Look up thermostatic mixer valves.

Can they be connected to hoses?

Ordinary garden hose is a push fit (might need warming) onto 15 mm
copper... Couple of jubilee clips, jobs a gudun.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 08:52:40 -0700, baronofthecourt wrote:

Hi all - I have a outdoor hot water tap and a outdoor cold outdoor water
tap located close to each other. I would like to build a shower about 10
metres away and run a hose between the taps and the shower rather than
plumbing in the shower. I'm wondered if I can connect these taps to an
outdoor shower and if so how? Do I need something to value to stop the
hot water and cold water mixing?

Any outdoor tap SHOULD have a non-return valve to prevent contaminated
water flowing back into the mains.

If both taps have a non-return valve then you should be fine, AFAICS.

For the rest, fancy running of hose pipe should probably work.
You don't say if you plan to have a thermostatic mixer or just a manual
mixer.

I assume that you don't plan to just use a simple shower head with Y
jointed pipes (like the old things people used to use to wash their hair
over a sink) as that would involve a 10 metre sprint to turn the water on
and off and adjust the temperature.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 August 2020 at 16:52:42 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi all - I have a outdoor hot water tap and a outdoor cold outdoor water tap located close to each other. I would like to build a shower about 10 metres away and run a hose between the taps and the shower rather than plumbing in the shower. I'm wondered if I can connect these taps to an outdoor shower and if so how? Do I need something to value to stop the hot water and cold water mixing?

Garden hoses can work if the pressure is on the low side, otherwise they're inclined to be a bit fragile. You also need to drain them before first frost.

Somewhere along the way you need nonreturn valves, as feeding either H or C supply back up the other one would not end well.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Cat wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 August 2020 at 16:52:42 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi all - I have a outdoor hot water tap and a outdoor cold outdoor water

tap located close to each other. I would like to build a shower about 10
metres away and run a hose between the taps and the shower rather than
plumbing in the shower. I'm wondered if I can connect these taps to an
outdoor shower and if so how? Do I need something to value to stop the
hot water and cold water mixing?

Garden hoses can work if the pressure is on the low side, otherwise they're
inclined to be a bit fragile. You also need to drain them before first
frost.

Why? Ours seem to survive being frozen without any problems, as also
do blue and black MDPE pipe.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2020 18:30, Tricky Dicky wrote:
If these taps are bib taps and installed in the last few years then they will likely have inbuilt non- return valves which should prevent cross contamination. Alternatively you can install non-return valves in the pipe work before the taps.

Richard

As others have said, you need a non-return valve (technically double
check-valve) in the supply to each tap.

You didn't say what the source is for either supply. For a shower mixer
valve to work properly, hot and cold both need to be at more or less the
same pressure. So if, for example, the cold is off the mains but the hot
is a gravity supply from a vented HW cylinder and header tank, it may
not work too well.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 August 2020 at 21:53:44 UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
On 12/08/2020 18:30, Tricky Dicky wrote:
If these taps are bib taps and installed in the last few years then they will likely have inbuilt non- return valves which should prevent cross contamination. Alternatively you can install non-return valves in the pipe work before the taps.

Richard

As others have said, you need a non-return valve (technically double
check-valve) in the supply to each tap.

You didn't say what the source is for either supply. For a shower mixer
valve to work properly, hot and cold both need to be at more or less the
same pressure. So if, for example, the cold is off the mains but the hot
is a gravity supply from a vented HW cylinder and header tank, it may
not work too well.

There's no shortage of domestic showers running off uneven pressure.

NT