Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radio 2 audio distortion on news

Up near Guisborough, in the caravan on holiday. My car type radio in
the caravan auto-tunes the FM radio stations. Program content reception
is absolutely spot on, no audio distortion, but the news is quite
distorted. 'Sussing' as it would as if it were off tune a little.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2020 11:24, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Up near Guisborough, in the caravan on holiday. My car type radio in the
caravan auto-tunes the FM radio stations. Program content reception is
absolutely spot on, no audio distortion, but the news is quite
distorted. 'Sussing' as it would as if it were off tune a little.

perhaps the 'news' is being spoken by someone working from
home and speaking via zoom/skype/whatever ??.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew pretended :
perhaps the 'news' is being spoken by someone working from
home and speaking via zoom/skype/whatever ??.

It was the same last year and previous times on holiday here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Up near Guisborough, in the caravan on holiday. My car type radio in
the caravan auto-tunes the FM radio stations. Program content reception
is absolutely spot on, no audio distortion, but the news is quite
distorted. 'Sussing' as it would as if it were off tune a little.

If it only happens in this spot on the same radio, likely multi-path
reception? Can you find a different R2 transmitter to see if it is the
same?

--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2020 11:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew pretended :
perhaps the 'news' is being spoken by someone working from
home and speaking via zoom/skype/whatever ??.

It was the same last year and previous times on holiday here.

Manually tune a weaker signal and see what that's like. If there's a
stereo/mono switch turn it to mono.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 11:33:55 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 11/08/2020 11:24, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Up near Guisborough, in the caravan on holiday. My car type radio in the
caravan auto-tunes the FM radio stations. Program content reception is
absolutely spot on, no audio distortion, but the news is quite
distorted. 'Sussing' as it would as if it were off tune a little.

perhaps the 'news' is being spoken by someone working from
home and speaking via zoom/skype/whatever ??.

Could it be that all the processing stops you noticing during music
but you are more aware during speech? Have you tried listening to
Radio 3, which I believe is less processed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 14:28:48 -0300, Nick Odell
wrote:
[snip]

uk.media.radio.bbc-r2 seems moribund(1)but some folk might be
monitoring it for new posts. On the other hand uk.tech.broadcast seems
active enough and with knowledgeable folk on board. Worth asking over
there?

Very interesting, thanks. I didn't know about this one. I used to
subscribe to alt.radio.digital but it had limited UK content. I have
installed the one you recommend and may meet you there. .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2020 11:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew pretended :
perhaps the 'news' is being spoken by someone working from
home and speaking via zoom/skype/whatever ??.

It was the same last year and previous times on holiday here.

Fuzzy, indistinct news from the BBC might be advantageous though !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 11:24:14 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Up near Guisborough, in the caravan on holiday. My car type radio in
the caravan auto-tunes the FM radio stations. Program content reception
is absolutely spot on, no audio distortion, but the news is quite
distorted. 'Sussing' as it would as if it were off tune a little.

uk.media.radio.bbc-r2 seems moribund(1)but some folk might be
monitoring it for new posts. On the other hand uk.tech.broadcast seems
active enough and with knowledgeable folk on board. Worth asking over
there?

Nick
(1)which makes a change from over-run with spam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The question is, is the radio perhaps being operated by rds to tune to a
different transmitter for news and traffic.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Up near Guisborough, in the caravan on holiday. My car type radio in the
caravan auto-tunes the FM radio stations. Program content reception is
absolutely spot on, no audio distortion, but the news is quite distorted.
'Sussing' as it would as if it were off tune a little.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I reckon its RDS misuse again. Bloody menace that used to be as often it
would move to a weaker transmitter for the traffic but take the news etc
with it.
Brian

--
----- --

"williamwright" wrote in message
On 11/08/2020 11:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew pretended :
perhaps the 'news' is being spoken by someone working from
home and speaking via zoom/skype/whatever ??.

It was the same last year and previous times on holiday here.

Manually tune a weaker signal and see what that's like. If there's a
stereo/mono switch turn it to mono.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2020 16:55, Andrew wrote:
On 11/08/2020 11:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew pretended :
perhaps the 'news' is being spoken by someone working from
home and speaking via zoom/skype/whatever ??.

It was the same last year and previous times on holiday here.

Fuzzy, indistinct* news from the BBC might be advantageous though !

It's been getting fuzzy and indistinct since Cameron.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 14:22:53 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 11/08/2020 16:55, Andrew wrote:
On 11/08/2020 11:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew pretended :
perhaps the 'news' is being spoken by someone working from
home and speaking via zoom/skype/whatever ??.

It was the same last year and previous times on holiday here.

Fuzzy, indistinct* news from the BBC might be advantageous though !

It's been getting fuzzy and indistinct since Cameron.

You mean Blair, surely?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2020 11:24, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Up near Guisborough, in the caravan on holiday. My car type radio in the
caravan auto-tunes the FM radio stations. Program content reception is
absolutely spot on, no audio distortion, but the news is quite
distorted. 'Sussing' as it would as if it were off tune a little.

There is a lot of ironstone in the hills round there so you do get some
peculiar effects with terrestrial TV reception. My guess would be that
distortion probably in the form of a dull echo is present all the time
but is much less noticeable on music content. On voice it will grate.

I have not heard anyone have problems with VHF but I wouldn't rule it
out. You shouldn't be short of signal but you may have multipath.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 15:38:28 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 11/08/2020 11:24, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Up near Guisborough, in the caravan on holiday. My car type radio in the
caravan auto-tunes the FM radio stations. Program content reception is
absolutely spot on, no audio distortion, but the news is quite
distorted. 'Sussing' as it would as if it were off tune a little.

There is a lot of ironstone in the hills round there so you do get some
peculiar effects with terrestrial TV reception. My guess would be that
distortion probably in the form of a dull echo is present all the time
but is much less noticeable on music content. On voice it will grate.

I have not heard anyone have problems with VHF but I wouldn't rule it
out. You shouldn't be short of signal but you may have multipath.

If it is a caravan, could OP buy a directional aerial with a rotator
to overcome this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) formulated on Tuesday :
I reckon its RDS misuse again. Bloody menace that used to be as often it
would move to a weaker transmitter for the traffic but take the news etc with
it.

Obviously it doesn't have a signal strength meter, but that sounds as
if it might be what is happening.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) pretended :
The question is, is the radio perhaps being operated by rds to tune to a
different transmitter for news and traffic.

You got it Brian, it was enabled.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott explained on 12/08/2020 :
If it is a caravan, could OP buy a directional aerial with a rotator
to overcome this?

Oh, I am not that bothered by it, I was just curious. I have sat, so I
could take R2 off the satellite.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 20:39:36 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Brian Gaff (Sofa) pretended :
The question is, is the radio perhaps being operated by rds to tune to a
different transmitter for news and traffic.

You got it Brian, it was enabled.

Why would the Radio 2 news ever differ between transmitters? I know
if you are listening to R2 with traffic announcements enabled it will
go to Radio Scotland for the traffic but it most certainly won't go to
Radio Scotland for the hourly news bulletins.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/08/2020 16:55, Andrew wrote:
On 11/08/2020 11:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew pretended :
perhaps the 'news' is being spoken by someone working from
home and speaking via zoom/skype/whatever ??.

It was the same last year and previous times on holiday here.

Fuzzy, indistinctÂ* news from the BBC might be advantageous though !

It's been getting fuzzy and indistinct since Cameron.

You mean Blair, surely?

OK, there wasn't much difference between Major and Blair but I tend to
think of Cameron as the real start of the rot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/08/2020 11:24, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Up near Guisborough, in the caravan on holiday. My car type radio in the
caravan auto-tunes the FM radio stations. Program content reception is
absolutely spot on, no audio distortion, but the news is quite
distorted. 'Sussing' as it would as if it were off tune a little.

There is a lot of ironstone in the hills round there so you do get some
peculiar effects with terrestrial TV reception. My guess would be that
distortion probably in the form of a dull echo is present all the time
but is much less noticeable on music content. On voice it will grate.

I have not heard anyone have problems with VHF but I wouldn't rule it
out. You shouldn't be short of signal but you may have multipath.

If it is a caravan, could OP buy a directional aerial with a rotator
to overcome this?

Even the very best practical FM aerial won't sort bad multi-path.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.