danny

Default audio distortion on video hifi recording

hi
i am having a problem with my SV3000w samsung vcr (world conversion model)
on playback of recorded tapes there is a sort of tearing sound on the
audio... i have cleaned it using a scotch headcleaner but no improvement, it
is only in playback in other vcrs that the problem is evident, most of which
flip between mono and stereo to compensate, the vcr itself plays back self
recorded tapes fine.. would appreciate any advice as to what the problem is,
if it's something i can fix or likely cost of repairs..
Thanks!

"danny" wrote in message ...
hi
i am having a problem with my SV3000w samsung vcr (world conversion model)
on playback of recorded tapes there is a sort of tearing sound on the
audio... i have cleaned it using a scotch headcleaner but no improvement, it
is only in playback in other vcrs that the problem is evident, most of which
flip between mono and stereo to compensate, the vcr itself plays back self
recorded tapes fine.. would appreciate any advice as to what the problem is,
if it's something i can fix or likely cost of repairs..
Thanks!

This sounds like two possible problems: either the tape path alignment
of your machine is out (especially the A/C head) OR the video heads
are not as good as they used to be and are putting down a weaker
signal. I think this is due to inadequate penetration of the tape by
the head chips.
Problems in the high band audio are usually the first sign of wear.
You often find that self-recorded tapes are Ok but other machines
don't pick up the audio tracks well.
Cleaning tapes are a waste of time - they don't clean the tape path,
they smear the dirt around and can redeposit it later, and many are
abrasive.

If a proper cleaning does not solve this, either replacing the upper
head assembly ($$$) or time to buy a machine are your options
good luck, B
Jerry G.

This can be from the heads being a bit worn down, or the tape path
alignment. To check the tape path alignment, you would have to bring the
machine to a service centre that has the proper tools, and technical
staff that can do this.

Most of the time if the alignment has become out of specs, and was
proper before, this is usually due to something being worn out. This
type of repair may not be cost effective.

--

Jerry G.
======

"danny" wrote in message
hi
i am having a problem with my SV3000w samsung vcr (world conversion
model)
on playback of recorded tapes there is a sort of tearing sound on the
audio... i have cleaned it using a scotch headcleaner but no
improvement, it
is only in playback in other vcrs that the problem is evident, most of
which
flip between mono and stereo to compensate, the vcr itself plays back
self
recorded tapes fine.. would appreciate any advice as to what the problem
is,
if it's something i can fix or likely cost of repairs..
Thanks!

NSM

"Jerry G." wrote in message
| This can be from the heads being a bit worn down, or the tape path
| alignment. To check the tape path alignment, you would have to bring the
| machine to a service centre that has the proper tools, and technical
| staff that can do this.
|
| Most of the time if the alignment has become out of specs, and was
| proper before, this is usually due to something being worn out. This
| type of repair may not be cost effective.

A world conversion model VCR is very expensive - possibly $1200 in the USA
and more in the UK!