Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Non level dado trunking

Told the apprentices not you use a spirit level as the Portakabins were
not on level ground.

So what did they use to make sure the dado was not level?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
Told the apprentices not you use a spirit level as the Portakabins were
not on level ground.

So what did they use to make sure the dado was not level?

Laser?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
Told the apprentices not you use a spirit level as the Portakabins were
not on level ground.

So what did they use to make sure the dado was not level?

Bit of water filled clear plastic pipe? That would be the student
apprentice:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 25 July 2020 17:11:27 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Told the apprentices not you use a spirit level as the Portakabins were
not on level ground.
So what did they use to make sure the dado was not level?

You mean the dado *is* level :-)

I thought cabin type buildings had to be levelled or gaps opened up at the corners? Or perhaps that's just the ones we had at school which blew in the wind.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/07/2020 17:16, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
Told the apprentices not you use a spirit level as the Portakabins were
not on level ground.

So what did they use to make sure the dado was not level?

Laser?

Or course they did.

I put the spirit level on the floor and showed them why they should not
use it on the dado.

So they used the self levelling laser "As that's always level even if
the floor is not"

FFS and I have them again tomorrow.

PS I also need some joints for the dado as they mitred it back to front
IYSWIM (the corners of the Portakabin are at 45 deg)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 25/07/2020 17:16, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
Told the apprentices not you use a spirit level as the Portakabins were
not on level ground.

So what did they use to make sure the dado was not level?

Laser?

Or course they did.

I put the spirit level on the floor and showed them why they should not
use it on the dado.

So they used the self levelling laser "As that's always level even if
the floor is not"

FFS and I have them again tomorrow.

PS I also need some joints for the dado as they mitred it back to front
IYSWIM (the corners of the Portakabin are at 45 deg)

Er....that doesn't sound very portable...? :-D

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 18:06, ARW wrote:

I put the spirit level on the floor and showed them why they should not
use it on the dado.

Your stress levels might be lower if you told them exactly what to do
and how to do it. It's less time consuming than correcting the mistakes.
I was always accused of micro-managing, which saps morale, though.

Maybe, there's a middle course, but I never found it, so you have my
sympathy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/07/2020 18:27, GB wrote:
On 25/07/2020 18:06, ARW wrote:

I put the spirit level on the floor and showed them why they should
not use it on the dado.

Your stress levels might be lower if you told them exactly what to do
and how to do it. It's less time consuming than correcting the mistakes.
I was always accused of micro-managing, which saps morale, though.

Maybe, there's a middle course, but I never found it, so you have my
sympathy.

Actually I am not stressed by this one.

A bit ****ed of by their use of the laser level but I rather enjoyed the
wrong mitering.

Everyone gets that wrong now and again.

My stress levels went up when I had the new starters earlier in the
week. Two of them, 16 years old and they can do sweet FA.

I now know for a fact that I can blame their parents for fetching up
such useless kids and that their parents have relied on school teachers
to fetch up their kids.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 18:27:17 +0100, GB
wrote:

snip

Your stress levels might be lower if you told them exactly what to do
and how to do it. It's less time consuming than correcting the mistakes.
I was always accused of micro-managing, which saps morale, though.

When I was an IT trainer it was my job / responsibility to bring
everyone on the course up to speed on what we were doing, why and how.

I wasn't there to test them, I was there to help them.

If they weren't able to do something because they didn't know what to
do or how to do it, that was my problem as that was why I was there.

In 8 years doing so, I didn't lose anyone off any course because they
couldn't keep up, because I made sure they did (even if it took some
of my own time).

However, there were some reasonably strict prerequisites to attending
the various courses and these people (or their companies) had often
paid good money [1] to be there so they were generally keen to learn
as they often also had to take the exam on it (building towards a
general qualification, like an MCE or CNE.

I wouldn't like to have to deal with mainstream education students
(especially these days).

When I was a trainee (Post Office) that meant I was being trained and
then worked on what I was trained on. Similar when I started working
for Kodak. I was only even an apprentice (to a site electrician) for 6
weeks during the holidays at college and he mentored me on / though
everything new he expected me to do. However, even at 16 I had done
quite a bit of mains wiring, inc SWA and was doing 'Electrical
Engineering' at college one afternoon a week.

I wonder how interested in Electrical Engineering Adams apprentices
typically are?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/07/2020 19:26, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 18:27:17 +0100, GB
wrote:

snip

Your stress levels might be lower if you told them exactly what to do
and how to do it. It's less time consuming than correcting the mistakes.
I was always accused of micro-managing, which saps morale, though.

When I was an IT trainer it was my job / responsibility to bring
everyone on the course up to speed on what we were doing, why and how.

I wasn't there to test them, I was there to help them.

If they weren't able to do something because they didn't know what to
do or how to do it, that was my problem as that was why I was there.

In 8 years doing so, I didn't lose anyone off any course because they
couldn't keep up, because I made sure they did (even if it took some
of my own time).

So it is you that is to blame and not me.

It's well known that tutors are taking the exams for wank
students/electrical apprentices as a failed student/apprentice costs the
tutor's company money.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/07/2020 18:15, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 25/07/2020 17:16, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
Told the apprentices not you use a spirit level as the Portakabins were
not on level ground.

So what did they use to make sure the dado was not level?

Laser?

Or course they did.

I put the spirit level on the floor and showed them why they should not
use it on the dado.

So they used the self levelling laser "As that's always level even if
the floor is not"

FFS and I have them again tomorrow.

PS I also need some joints for the dado as they mitred it back to front
IYSWIM (the corners of the Portakabin are at 45 deg)

Er....that doesn't sound very portable...? :-D

Plastic corners on the inside:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 19:51:05 +0100, ARW
wrote:

On 25/07/2020 19:26, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 18:27:17 +0100, GB
wrote:

snip

Your stress levels might be lower if you told them exactly what to do
and how to do it. It's less time consuming than correcting the mistakes.
I was always accused of micro-managing, which saps morale, though.

When I was an IT trainer it was my job / responsibility to bring
everyone on the course up to speed on what we were doing, why and how.

I wasn't there to test them, I was there to help them.

If they weren't able to do something because they didn't know what to
do or how to do it, that was my problem as that was why I was there.

In 8 years doing so, I didn't lose anyone off any course because they
couldn't keep up, because I made sure they did (even if it took some
of my own time).

So it is you that is to blame and not me.

Who was blaming you? And 'of course' a retired IT Instructor is going
to be taking Electrical Engineering exams for trainee sparkies ...

It's well known that tutors are taking the exams for wank
students/electrical apprentices as a failed student/apprentice costs the
tutor's company money.

Yup, **** happens mate ... glad you are actively doing something about
it though and not just making a joke / complaining about it here?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 18:06, ARW wrote:
On 25/07/2020 17:16, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
Told the apprentices not you use a spirit level as the Portakabins were
not on level ground.

So what did they use to make sure the dado was not level?

Laser?

Or course they did.

I put the spirit level on the floor and showed them why they should not
use it on the dado.

So they used the self levelling laser "As that's always level even if
the floor is not"

FFS and I have them again tomorrow.

PS I also need some joints for the dado as they mitred it back to front
IYSWIM (the corners of the Portakabin are at 45 deg)

At least they didn't roll some.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A knotted bit of string? :-)Brian
--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
Told the apprentices not you use a spirit level as the Portakabins were
not on level ground.

So what did they use to make sure the dado was not level?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 18:06, ARW wrote:
On 25/07/2020 17:16, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
Told the apprentices not you use a spirit level as the Portakabins were
not on level ground.

So what did they use to make sure the dado was not level?

Laser?

Or course they did.

I put the spirit level on the floor and showed them why they should not
use it on the dado.

So they used the self levelling laser "As that's always level even if
the floor is not"

I had this problem with a person who was fitting out a van for me. The
van floor was, as it happens, level with the concrete beneath, and the
concrete was level, and this was the defence given. However, once two
blokes were in the van at the same end the floor was no longer at quite
the same angle.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 July 2020 11:15:41 UTC+1, williamwright wrote:
I had this problem with a person who was fitting out a van for me.

Gimbals.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, 25 July 2020 17:11:27 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Told the apprentices not you use a spirit level as the Portakabins were
not on level ground.
So what did they use to make sure the dado was not level?

You mean the dado *is* level :-)

I thought cabin type buildings had to be levelled or gaps opened up at
the corners? Or perhaps that's just the ones we had at school which blew
in the wind.

Hope they never work in the average Victorian house. Where very little is
level or square. Meaning most things have to be done by eye to look right.

--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

On 25/07/2020 19:26, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 18:27:17 +0100, GB
wrote:

snip

[...]

Don't ever call me mate again.

I have standards.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 25/07/2020 19:26, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 18:27:17 +0100, GB
wrote:

snip

[...]

;)
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 20:50:02 +0100, ARW
wrote:

snip

Yup, **** happens mate ... glad you are actively doing something about
it though and not just making a joke / complaining about it here?

Don't ever call me mate again.

Hey, I've got loads of other terms I could use, most taken from you.

I have standards.

You do?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/07/2020 23:40, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 20:50:02 +0100, ARW
wrote:

snip

Yup, **** happens mate ... glad you are actively doing something about
it though and not just making a joke / complaining about it here?

Don't ever call me mate again.

Hey, I've got loads of other terms I could use, most taken from you.

I am honoured.

I have standards.

You do?

Of course.

Never shag a fat bird unless you are drunk and never have a mate who is
a ****

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 19:04:01 +0100, ARW
wrote:

On 26/07/2020 23:40, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 20:50:02 +0100, ARW
wrote:

snip

Yup, **** happens mate ... glad you are actively doing something about
it though and not just making a joke / complaining about it here?

Don't ever call me mate again.

Hey, I've got loads of other terms I could use, most taken from you.

I am honoured.

You are welcome.

I have standards.

You do?

Of course.

Oh ... but not that you use here no?

Never shag a fat bird unless you are drunk

I'm sure they would be honoured ...

and never have a mate who is
a ****

Hey, at least that's something we agree on! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

On 26/07/2020 23:40, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 20:50:02 +0100, ARW

snip

And always tell a **** that calls you mate that they are a ****.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2020 20:45, ARW wrote:

And always tell a **** that calls you mate that they are a ****.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB7BWvD5B5Y
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just FYI my house may have been square when it was built. These days I
measure from the ceiling. Or the floor. Or a nearby door frame...

Putting a rectangular cupboard up next to a door where the ceiling
wasn't at right angles to the door frame was an exercise in compromise.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 25 July 2020 18:53:01 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
On 25/07/2020 18:27, GB wrote:
On 25/07/2020 18:06, ARW wrote:

[...]

I don't believe the use of any tools is taught any more in schools.

So, they will be clueless.