Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default How long to fit a bit of dado trunking?

2nd year apprentice had the task.

I had already drilled the holes and fitted the red rawl plugs. About a
2m length of dado.

He has access to a screw box and an impact driver (with a proper PZ2 bit
fitted).

So how long?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2019 21:37, ARW wrote:
2nd year apprentice had the task.

I had already drilled the holes and fitted the red rawl plugs. About a
2m length of dado.

He has access to a screw box and an impact driver (with a proper PZ2 bit
fitted).

So how long?

Trick question? Ans: About 2 metres.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
2nd year apprentice had the task.

I had already drilled the holes and fitted the red rawl plugs. About a
2m length of dado.

He has access to a screw box and an impact driver (with a proper PZ2 bit
fitted).

So how long?

a full day - and the dado is upside down

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/12/2019 21:56, alan_m wrote:
On 03/12/2019 21:37, ARW wrote:
2nd year apprentice had the task.

I had already drilled the holes and fitted the red rawl plugs. About a
2m length of dado.

He has access to a screw box and an impact driver (with a proper PZ2
bit fitted).

So how long?

Trick question?Â* Ans: About 2 metres.

Not a trick question. It's about the time to fit it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2019 21:37, ARW wrote:
2nd year apprentice had the task.

I had already drilled the holes and fitted the red rawl plugs. About a
2m length of dado.

He has access to a screw box and an impact driver (with a proper PZ2
bit fitted).

So how long?

Trick question? Ans: About 2 metres.

Not a trick question. It's about the time to fit it.

Half a day?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2019 21:37, ARW wrote:
2nd year apprentice had the task.

I had already drilled the holes and fitted the red rawl plugs. About a
2m length of dado.

He has access to a screw box and an impact driver (with a proper PZ2 bit
fitted).

So how long?

Six foot, seven foot, eight foot bunch,
Dado come and he wan' go home.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I see the comedians are out today.
You mean he had to put holes in the thing and actually screw it up? No
double sided tape or glue?
Radical man.

Should take less than an hour, but probably about three, as he could not
find the right sized screws.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
2nd year apprentice had the task.

I had already drilled the holes and fitted the red rawl plugs. About a 2m
length of dado.

He has access to a screw box and an impact driver (with a proper PZ2 bit
fitted).

So how long?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 December 2019 21:37:43 UTC, ARW wrote:
2nd year apprentice had the task.
I had already drilled the holes and fitted the red rawl plugs. About a
2m length of dado.
He has access to a screw box and an impact driver (with a proper PZ2 bit
fitted).
So how long?

Did he put it in the wrong room?

And did you give him any washers to go under the screw holes to spread the load properly?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/19 23:14, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 03/12/2019 21:37, ARW wrote:
2nd year apprentice had the task.

I had already drilled the holes and fitted the red rawl plugs. About a
2m length of dado.

He has access to a screw box and an impact driver (with a proper PZ2 bit
fitted).

So how long?

Six foot, seven foot, eight foot bunch,
Dado come and he wan' go home.

On the news last Sunday:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50619991

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2019 09:40, John Rumm wrote:
On 03/12/2019 21:37, ARW wrote:
2nd year apprentice had the task.

I had already drilled the holes and fitted the red rawl plugs. About a
2m length of dado.

He has access to a screw box and an impact driver (with a proper PZ2
bit fitted).

So how long?

3 h

How many screws did he break by using the impact driver in
full-on gorilla mode ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2019 21:37, ARW wrote:
2nd year apprentice had the task.

I had already drilled the holes and fitted the red rawl plugs. About
a 2m length of dado.

He has access to a screw box and an impact driver (with a proper PZ2
bit fitted).

So how long?

3 h

How many screws did he break by using the impact driver in
full-on gorilla mode ?.

In full gorilla mode he would have driven the screw head completely
through what he was trying to fix, necessitating a screw with a larger
head or a big washer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2019 21:37, ARW wrote:
2nd year apprentice had the task.

I had already drilled the holes and fitted the red rawl plugs. About a 2m length of
dado.

He has access to a screw box and an impact driver (with a proper PZ2 bit fitted).

So how long?

3 h

How many screws did he break by using the impact driver in
full-on gorilla mode ?.

In full gorilla mode he would have driven the screw head completely through what he was
trying to fix, necessitating a screw with a larger head or a big washer.

That's after he's managed to remove that screw complete with
plug possibly bringing bits of plasterboard and brick dust with it thus
requiring the drilling of an even bigger hole, maybe requiring a brown plug
and a fatter screw this time.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/12/2019 21:37, ARW wrote:
2nd year apprentice had the task.

I had already drilled the holes and fitted the red rawl plugs. About a 2m length of
dado.

He has access to a screw box and an impact driver (with a proper PZ2 bit fitted).

So how long?

3 h

How many screws did he break by using the impact driver in
full-on gorilla mode ?.

In full gorilla mode he would have driven the screw head completely through what he was
trying to fix, necessitating a screw with a larger head or a big washer.

That's after he's managed to remove that screw complete with
plug possibly bringing bits of plasterboard and brick dust with it thus
requiring the drilling of an even bigger hole, maybe requiring a brown plug
and a fatter screw this time.

Probably the closest.

The actual answer is that he was unable to to the job.

He used 3" screws, rammed them in all the way thus pulling out the red
plug. He managed on every red plug.

Absolutely useless.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)"
writes
Those cup washers are very useful things, but nobody seems to use them any
more.

I do. Sadly the *far Eastern source* version is prone to rust.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Dec 2019 16:07:22 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:

Those cup washers are very useful things, but nobody seems to use them
any more.

I used some last week. There's a wooden panel screwed to the ceiling of
the loo at the back of the kitchen extension - gives access to the
kitchen roof space.

It had bare screws and I added cup washers and proper screws!

(it's a tight fit for me getting through the hole because no joists have
been taken out and they're close together. Then I remind myself that when
we did the last bit of wiring up there, SWMBO did it because I needed to
be elsewhere to do stuff at the same time.

And she was 8 months pregnant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

No sense of when its tight enough then, or were the screws too small?
Brian

Adam's made it clear that it was his fault. He didn't drill the holes
deep enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 5 December 2019 11:36:12 UTC, GB wrote:
Adam's made it clear that it was his fault. He didn't drill the holes
deep enough.

Or he gave the apprentice a bigger screw than expected.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2019 21:37, ARW wrote:
2nd year apprentice had the task.

I had already drilled the holes and fitted the red rawl plugs.
About a 2m length of
dado.

He has access to a screw box and an impact driver (with a proper
PZ2 bit fitted).

So how long?

3 h

How many screws did he break by using the impact driver in
full-on gorilla mode ?.

In full gorilla mode he would have driven the screw head completely
through what he was
trying to fix, necessitating a screw with a larger head or a big washer.

That's after he's managed to removeÂ* that screw complete with
plug possibly bringing bits of plasterboard and brick dustÂ* with it thus
requiring the drilling of an even bigger hole, maybe requiring a brown
plug
and a fatter screw this time.

Probably the closest.

The actual answer is that he was unable to to the job.

He used 3" screws, rammed them in all the way thus pulling out the red
plug. He managed on every red plug.

Absolutely useless.

Maybe he helped someone install a kitchen and thought they were
wall hung cabinets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 18:04:04 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Those cup washers are very useful things, but nobody seems to use

them
any more.

I do. Sadly the *far Eastern source* version is prone to rust.

I do but always make sure I get real brass ones not "brassed".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 21:37:40 +0000, ARW wrote:

2nd year apprentice had the task.

I had already drilled the holes and fitted the red rawl plugs. About a
2m length of dado.

He has access to a screw box and an impact driver (with a proper PZ2 bit
fitted).

So how long?

Couldn't do the task. No holes in the dado rail.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/12/2019 21:37, ARW wrote:
[...]

I'll just go with useless.

He is no longer with us and I am named on the divorce papers.

--
Adam