Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cables behind kitchen units or around window?

Units along bottom of wall, window in wall.

Currently cabling for kitchen sockets runs around the window casing,
i've never been a fan of this. Does this meet regs and if not does it
matter if it isn't new work?

Anyway, i'm thinking of getting shut and having cabling behind the units
but obviously I can't run horizontally, so the questions that I the
answers to are 'yes' but checking,

Given that the cable will not be concealed is it ok for it to run around
the room at floor level (so i don't need to notch the units) and go up
and down to/from the sockets?

And it is really necessary to tack it to the wall?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 July 2020 10:02:12 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
Currently cabling for kitchen sockets runs around the window casing,
i've never been a fan of this. Does this meet regs

No, and I don't think has done in recent decades.

and if not does it matter if it isn't new work?

It matters to the extent that some tree-butcher is likely to nail a plank through it.

Anyway, i'm thinking of getting shut and having cabling behind the units
but obviously I can't run horizontally, so the questions that I the
answers to are 'yes' but checking,
Given that the cable will not be concealed is it ok for it to run around
the room at floor level (so i don't need to notch the units) and go up
and down to/from the sockets?

Yes

And it is really necessary to tack it to the wall?

I put conduits up to the sockets, which is handy as I'm just now rejiggling things to put a boiler stat cable up a socket conduit without having to reopen the wall.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 July 2020 10:02:12 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

Units along bottom of wall, window in wall.

Currently cabling for kitchen sockets runs around the window casing,
i've never been a fan of this. Does this meet regs

yes

and if not does it
matter if it isn't new work?

no

Anyway, i'm thinking of getting shut and having cabling behind the units
but obviously I can't run horizontally,

Huh? This is the problem with not posting a diagram or photo.

so the questions that I the
answers to are 'yes' but checking,

Given that the cable will not be concealed is it ok for it to run around
the room at floor level

yes

(so i don't need to notch the units) and go up
and down to/from the sockets?

yes

And it is really necessary to tack it to the wall?

yes, unless you've got proper cordgrips on the socket backboxes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2020 16:33, wrote:

Huh? This is the problem with not posting a diagram or photo.

Don't be a pedant, it's obvious

But thanks for the rest of the input!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 16:51:30 +0100, R D S wrote:

On 17/07/2020 16:33, wrote:

Huh? This is the problem with not posting a diagram or photo.

Don't be a pedant, it's obvious

But thanks for the rest of the input!

No it isnt, you said you couldnt run them horizontally.
Why not?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 17/07/2020 10:02, R D S wrote:
Units along bottom of wall, window in wall.

Currently cabling for kitchen sockets runs around the window casing,
i've never been a fan of this. Does this meet regs and if not does it
matter if it isn't new work?

If the cables are concealed then it's a no. If you have a chance to sort
existing problems when doing your work then do so

Anyway, i'm thinking of getting shut and having cabling behind the units
but obviously I can't run horizontally, so the questions that I the
answers to are 'yes' but checking,

There is no reason you cannot run horizontally.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...lectric_cables

Given that the cable will not be concealed is it ok for it to run around
the room at floor level (so i don't need to notch the units) and go up
and down to/from the sockets?

Yes.

And it is really necessary to tack it to the wall?

No

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 17/07/2020 16:33, wrote:

Huh? This is the problem with not posting a diagram or photo.

Don't be a pedant, it's obvious

But thanks for the rest of the input!

No it isnt, you said you couldnt run them horizontally.
Why not?

Learning curve and making sure the job is done properly?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2020 16:33, wrote:

Huh? This is the problem with not posting a diagram or photo.

Don't be a pedant, it's obvious

But thanks for the rest of the input!

No it isnt, you said you couldnt run them horizontally.
Why not?

Because of the window.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2020 20:58, ARW wrote:
On 17/07/2020 10:02, R D S wrote:
Units along bottom of wall, window in wall.

Currently cabling for kitchen sockets runs around the window casing,
i've never been a fan of this. Does this meet regs and if not does it
matter if it isn't new work?

If the cables are concealed then it's a no. If you have a chance to sort
existing problems when doing your work then do so

Anyway, i'm thinking of getting shut and having cabling behind the
units but obviously I can't run horizontally, so the questions that I
the answers to are 'yes' but checking,

There is no reason you cannot run horizontally.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...lectric_cables

Must not have been clear, the window prevents horizontal running of
cables, hence them running around the casing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 July 2020 16:51:33 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
On 17/07/2020 16:33, tabbypurr wrote:

Huh? This is the problem with not posting a diagram or photo.

Don't be a pedant, it's obvious

But thanks for the rest of the input!

there's nothing obvious about your statement that you obviously couldn't run cables horizontally.

Bye.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 July 2020 22:23:27 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
On 17/07/2020 20:58, ARW wrote:
On 17/07/2020 10:02, R D S wrote:
Units along bottom of wall, window in wall.

Currently cabling for kitchen sockets runs around the window casing,
i've never been a fan of this. Does this meet regs and if not does it
matter if it isn't new work?

If the cables are concealed then it's a no. If you have a chance to sort
existing problems when doing your work then do so

Anyway, i'm thinking of getting shut and having cabling behind the
units but obviously I can't run horizontally, so the questions that I
the answers to are 'yes' but checking,

There is no reason you cannot run horizontally.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...lectric_cables

Must not have been clear, the window prevents horizontal running of
cables, hence them running around the casing.

....horizontally as well as vertically I presume.
Windows don't normally prevent one running a horizontal cable above or below.
Yawn.