Sneezy

Default Quick electrical question

Looking at a ceiling rose there are three sets of connector blocks labeled
live, loop and neutral - 2/3/2 respectively. This is fine if you have a
light/switch, light/switch setup, say, but if you're wanting two lights
operated from the same switch where does the live wire go that feeds the
second light? Top folks on here helped me understand how to wire it all up
- that's not the problem. The problem is that the live connector (live out
to socket, live in from switch) has only two connectors and I have three
wires (one goes to the second light). I could just bung two wires in one
connector but I'd worry about the connection being sound. I could just use
the live connectors for the loop wiring (live in, live out to switch) and
the loop connectors for the live out to socket, live in from switch, live
out to second light. However, this would be non-standard, plus the labeling
in the rose would be wrong (misleading). I'd worry about killing some poor
electrician/DIYer in the future because I've made a set of connectors
permanently live that shouldn't be :-S Thoughts?

--
john

"Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand." -
Putt's Law
Lurch

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:23:43 GMT, in uk.d-i-y Sneezy
strung together this:

I could just bung two wires in one connector

Do this one. You worry too much!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Martin

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:23:43 GMT, in uk.d-i-y Sneezy
strung together this:

I could just bung two wires in one connector

Do this one. You worry too much!

Agree. Or wire the connection from the rose to a junction box and feed the
lights from that.

--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Lurch

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:10:12 -0000, in uk.d-i-y "Martin"
strung together this:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:23:43 GMT, in uk.d-i-y Sneezy
strung together this:

I could just bung two wires in one connector

Do this one. You worry too much!

Agree. Or wire the connection from the rose to a junction box and feed the
lights from that.

But you end up with even more cables per terminal then, and a lot more
work, and ripping up floorboards for no real reason. If you llike
doing excessive amounts of diy though...
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 21:54:28 GMT, in uk.d-i-y Sneezy
strung together this:

I could just bung two wires in one connector

Do this one. You worry too much!

You've noticed huh Why they dont add an extra connector - 3/3/2 - I dont
know. Plenty of room for one.

I briefly thought that once but in the olden days when they were
invented there was only loop in, loop out and switch. They only had
one light per room, no fans, outside lights etc.. and other items
tacked on the lighting circuits. This meant that there would be 1
switched live, 3 permanent lives and 2 neutrals, (1,3,2). Add the flex
either end and that's 2,3,3.
When I started out I did a lot of site work so all three lives went in
one terminal, both neutrals in another and the switchwire in t'other,
quickest way works a charm, and we were on price!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

In uk.d-i-y, Lurch wrote:

I could just bung two wires in one connector

Do this one. You worry too much!

aolWhat he said/aol

Plenty of room for two 1mmsq wires in the one hole. Leave the outer holes
for the pendant flex, as the route for the strain relief is designed to
work best that way (you see those funny little "wings" towards the outside
of the rose? you're supposed to run the blue & brown wires of the flex
through those, so that the wires wrapping nearly 180degrees around them
take the weight of the lampshade etc., leaving the screwed electrical
connections without any force trying to pull the wires out over the next
5-10 years ;-)

HTH - Stefek
Zymurgy

Sneezy wrote:
I'd worry about killing some poor electrician/DIYer in the future because
I've made a set of connectors permanently live that shouldn't be :-S
Thoughts?

Heh. If you've terminated the live conector in a screw block in some
way, then the onus is on the person dismantling it to check if it's
live first, otherwise they shouldn't be in there.

Let's face it it's not hard to stick a neon screwdriver in, and I
check BOTH Live and Neutral - I've seen several live black wires :-0

I've also seen some nightmares up in some ceiling roses i've changed
over for friends &c. [1]

Cheers,

Paul.

[1] Like the lounge in a victorian house where a bundle of wires was
tied up and insulation taped together in a space between the lath and
plaster. Unravelled it and the kitchen light went out :-/

Dave Plowman

In article 22,
Sneezy wrote:
Looking at a ceiling rose there are three sets of connector blocks
labeled live, loop and neutral - 2/3/2 respectively. This is fine if
you have a light/switch, light/switch setup, say, but if you're wanting
two lights operated from the same switch where does the live wire go
that feeds the second light?

If using 1mm cable, there's room for two conductors in the one hole on all
the ceiling roses I've used. Not sure if there's room for two 1.5mm,
though.

--
*The more I learn about women, the more I love my car

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Wheelbarrowbob

When I started out I did a lot of site work so all three lives went in
one terminal, both neutrals in another and the switchwire in t'other,
quickest way works a charm, an

I bet you twisted the 3 lives together, 2 neutrals together and used 1 piece of
earth sleeve for 2 earth wires. All practices now frowned upon !
Christian McArdle

I could just bung two wires in one connector but I'd worry about the
connection being sound.

Bunging two wires in one hole actually improves the connection. Bung the two
solid cables in one hole. The stranded wire to the bulb holder is a bit of a
pain when stuffed into a small hole.

Christian.

Dave Stanton

Let's face it it's not hard to stick a neon screwdriver in, and I check
BOTH Live and Neutral - I've seen several live black wires :-0

I've also seen some nightmares up in some ceiling roses i've changed over
for friends &c. [1]

Cheers,

Paul.

You as well !. We must have ridden the same range with the same cowboys.
Dave