chris French

Default GE MCB's

I've got a new-ish (made 2001) GE CU (it was a wrong item in a delivery
and never collected by the supplier) I'm going to use it to replace a
friends old one.

Are MCBs' a standard fitment, so I can just use whatever is available or
do they vary from makers to maker.?

However, they don't seem to be a common CU make and the places I've
checked so far - local supplier, Screwfix, TLC don't have them. I'm sure
I can source them if I look, but if MK or whatever will fit I'll just
use them (yes I can tootle off to my local trade counter to check the
fit, but I'll not have time to do that until next week sometime.
--
Chris French, Leeds

chris French wrote:
I've got a new-ish (made 2001) GE CU (it was a wrong item in a delivery
and never collected by the supplier) I'm going to use it to replace a
friends old one.

Are MCBs' a standard fitment, so I can just use whatever is available or
do they vary from makers to maker.?

However, they don't seem to be a common CU make and the places I've
checked so far - local supplier, Screwfix, TLC don't have them. I'm sure
I can source them if I look, but if MK or whatever will fit I'll just
use them (yes I can tootle off to my local trade counter to check the
fit, but I'll not have time to do that until next week sometime.

I think you may find that some wholesalers' "own brand" MCBs are
actually GE ones. Try Denmans for a start.

In general I've found that MCBs can be mixed but you may find that the
busbar(s) need a bit of a bodge.

--
Chris Green
ARWadsworth

wrote in message ...
chris French wrote:
[...]

I cannot remember which is which, but I believe that Hagar MCBs fit the GE
units or Wikes own brand (possibly rebranded GET).

Adam

chris French

In message , ARWadsworth
writes

wrote in message ...
chris French wrote:
I've got a new-ish (made 2001) GE CU (it was a wrong item in a delivery
and never collected by the supplier) I'm going to use it to replace a
friends old one.

Are MCBs' a standard fitment, so I can just use whatever is available or
do they vary from makers to maker.?

I think you may find that some wholesalers' "own brand" MCBs are
actually GE ones. Try Denmans for a start.

In general I've found that MCBs can be mixed but you may find that the
busbar(s) need a bit of a bodge.

I cannot remember which is which, but I believe that Hagar MCBs fit the GE
units or Wikes own brand (possibly rebranded GET).

Well it sounds like some others at least will fit, which is what I
really wanted to know. I've since remembered that I have a spare unused
MCB in the greenhouse CU. Maybe MK, but I can't remember. I'll start by
getting that out and trying it over the weekend.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Lurch

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:07:40 +0100, chris French
strung together this:

Are MCBs' a standard fitment, so I can just use whatever is available or
do they vary from makers to maker.?

Some fit, some don't. Some can be made to fit, somehow.

However, they don't seem to be a common CU make and the places I've
checked so far - local supplier, Screwfix, TLC don't have them. I

If you ring Screwfix up they might have some, they used to have GE
boards, I called them up for some GE stuff from old stock and they had
quite a bit laying around the place.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

chris French

In message , chris French
writes
Well it sounds like some others at least will fit, which is what I
really wanted to know. I've since remembered that I have a spare unused
MCB in the greenhouse CU. Maybe MK, but I can't remember. I'll start by
getting that out and trying it over the weekend.

Well, took it out and tried it. It was a MK one and it fitted fine so
I'll probably just get some of those.
--
Chris French, Leeds