Set Square

Default Tasteful hole in kitchen worktop

I need to make a hole near the corner of a kitchen worktop to bring up a 12v
power cable (with right-angled concentric plug) and aerial lead for SWMBO's
new 6" LCD TV (so she can watch TV while preparing the dinner - yes, I
know!). Making a hole is a last resort, having eliminated all other possible
routes - all of which would have left a lot of exposed cables and hardware
because the walls are tiled with wallpaper above, and I can't disturb any of
that.

In order to make this hole "acceptable", I would like to finish it with a
metal or plastic tube (ID in the region of 20-25mm) going down through the
worktop, with a chrome flange/bezel on the top.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I could use for this - I'm not sure
whether to go to a plumber's merchant or an electronics shop - or indeed to
a kitchen fitter?!

--
Cheers,
Set Square

gribblechips

"Set Square" wrote in message
[...]

How about an end socket usually used for wardrobe rails and the like. screw
it to the work top and use a short length of the rail itself to line the
hole.

---

Set Square

gribblechips wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting thought, thanks.

I really want a one piece tube and flange, though, with no screw holes in
the flange - I would glue it in with sealant, unless the tube had a thread
on the outside to take a nut underneath the worktop.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Kalico

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:12:46 +0100, "Set Square"
wrote:

I need to make a hole near the corner of a kitchen worktop to bring up a 12v
power cable (with right-angled concentric plug) and aerial lead for SWMBO's
new 6" LCD TV (so she can watch TV while preparing the dinner - yes, I
know!). Making a hole is a last resort, having eliminated all other possible
routes - all of which would have left a lot of exposed cables and hardware
because the walls are tiled with wallpaper above, and I can't disturb any of
that.

In order to make this hole "acceptable", I would like to finish it with a
metal or plastic tube (ID in the region of 20-25mm) going down through the
worktop, with a chrome flange/bezel on the top.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I could use for this - I'm not sure
whether to go to a plumber's merchant or an electronics shop - or indeed to
a kitchen fitter?!

Not sure about why you need the tube, but you used to be able to get
collars (without screw holes) in chrome etc that were designed to be
put into the floor where a radiator pipe entered it.

Essentially, they are to make the joint look tidy when the pipe enters
a polished wood floor.

Not sure what they are called though or where to get them.
Rob

Graeme

"Kalico" wrote in message =
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:12:46 +0100, "Set Square"
wrote:
=20
[...]

something like this ?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...649&ts=3D48872

mrcheerful

"Set Square" wrote in message
[...]

you could use a bass tube for a speaker housing, they are the right sort of
hole size, but afaik only in black plastic, or what about a basin waste
fitting with the grill chopped out?

John

"mrcheerful ." wrote in message

"Set Square" wrote in message
[...]

Take a look at the plastic fittings installed in the counters of post
offices where the electronic counter units are fed from under the counter. I
used to have a few spare kicking around until we moved house about three
years ago. Perhaps one of the offices which are closing might be a source.

Set Square

mrcheerful . wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions. I've look at a basin waste today - and it's the
right sort of thing, but too big.

I (or rather, SWMBO!) could probably live with black plastic if it's the
right size. Where would I get a speaker housing bass tube, and how big are
they?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

G&M

I need to make a hole near the corner of a kitchen worktop to bring up a
12v
power cable (with right-angled concentric plug) and aerial lead for
SWMBO's
new 6" LCD TV (so she can watch TV while preparing the dinner - yes, I
know!). Making a hole is a last resort,

Put an aerial amplifier feeding a length of wire under the surface and then
a simple loop aerial on the TV. Should work well enough for an LCD jobby.

Bob Eager

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:41:11 UTC, "Set Square" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I've look at a basin waste today - and it's the
right sort of thing, but too big.

I (or rather, SWMBO!) could probably live with black plastic if it's the
right size. Where would I get a speaker housing bass tube, and how big are
they?

Try an office supplies place. They have these things in desks designed
to take computer equipment. They may have them separately, or give you
one from a broken/incomplete unit.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

John

Taking the plugs off will mean a smaller hole. Then joining the cables again
under the worktop.

--

Regards

John

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:41:11 UTC, "Set Square" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I've look at a basin waste today - and it's

the
right sort of thing, but too big.

I (or rather, SWMBO!) could probably live with black plastic if it's the
right size. Where would I get a speaker housing bass tube, and how big

are
they?

Try an office supplies place. They have these things in desks designed
to take computer equipment. They may have them separately, or give you
one from a broken/incomplete unit.

--
Bob Eager

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Kalico

[snip]

something like this ?

Indeed

Set Square

John wrote:

Taking the plugs off will mean a smaller hole. Then joining the
cables again under the worktop.

I might have to resort to that. It's easy with the aerial lead, but the 12v
supply cable is moulded into a power supply with 13A plug at one end, and
moulded into the outlet for the TV at the other end. I don't *really* want
to cut this because of warranty issues.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Set Square

Kalico wrote:

[snip]

something like this ?

Indeed

I looked at some of those in one of the sheds. They would do at a push, but
are really too large in diameter relative to the central hole - pushing the
hole in the worktop too far out from the corner. I reaaly want a smaller
flange than this.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

fred

In article , Set Square
writes
Kalico wrote:

[snip]

something like this ?

Indeed

I looked at some of those in one of the sheds. They would do at a push, but
are really too large in diameter relative to the central hole - pushing the
hole in the worktop too far out from the corner. I reaaly want a smaller
flange than this.

How about a pipe stiffener for mdpe in white nylon as is has the through
hole sleeving and a small diameter flange to finish the top surface. I've got
one for 25mm here which is a bit too small (20o/d, 17i/d), but one for
32mm pipe would prob do the job (guess 27o/d, 24i/d?). Plumbers'
merchant will prob have one offs. Doesn't meet your chrome finish spec,
but you could place a bright plated or stainless washer under the flange.
I've tried it here & it looks ok but is actually less obtrusive without the
washer. Or do some mfrs make their stiffeners in Ali?

Hope you can visualise the idea.
--
fred

Set Square

fred wrote:

In article , Set Square
writes
Kalico wrote:

[...]

I think that's the best idea so far - many thanks.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Chip C

"Set Square" wrote in message ...
gribblechips wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message
I need to make a hole near the corner of a kitchen worktop to bring
up a 12v power cable (with right-angled concentric plug) and aerial
lead for SWMBO's new 6" LCD TV (so she can watch TV while preparing
the dinner - yes, I know!). Making a hole is a last resort, having
eliminated all other possible routes - all of which would have left
a lot of exposed cables and hardware because the walls are tiled
with wallpaper above, and I can't disturb any of that.

In order to make this hole "acceptable", I would like to finish it
with a metal or plastic tube (ID in the region of 20-25mm) going
down through the worktop, with a chrome flange/bezel on the top.

I'd have the tube come up above the counter an inch or two, and caulk
around it where it goes through the counter, to keep spills out.

What's the countertop? If it's laminate, maybe you can get small
pieces of matching laminate flexible enough to surround the tube,
which could then be pretty much anything (pvc, etc).

hey, how about this: get one of those pots (in marble, or steel, or
wood) designed to hold spoons and spatulas, bore a hole in the bottom,
and cement it over the hole in the counter. Then the cords just
"disappear" into it. You can even fill the hole with foam or something
and use it for holding things, in addition to the cords!

Chip C
Kalico

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:51:45 GMT, fred wrote:

In article , Set Square
writes
Kalico wrote:

[...]

On that idea, why not shine up one of the inserts for Hep2O?
Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
N. Thornton

"Set Square" wrote in message ...
John wrote:

Taking the plugs off will mean a smaller hole. Then joining the
cables again under the worktop.

I might have to resort to that. It's easy with the aerial lead, but the 12v
supply cable is moulded into a power supply with 13A plug at one end, and
moulded into the outlet for the TV at the other end. I don't *really* want
to cut this because of warranty issues.

Or: find a couple of mini connectors that will screw or glue to the
top of the worktop. Before atatching em, drill 1mm holes for enamelled
wires to go through. Sort out the wiring on the underside. Short
cables on the TV keep things tidy.

Or you could have a standard phone sized socket box right above the
countertop, with your sockets of choice in it. The box covers the hole
in the counter. etc etc etc.

Or you could get wacky and suspend the TV from 3 wires, which
conveniently carry the power and ae signals. Or mount the TV under the
cupboards above instead of on the top, then hiding wires maye be
easier.

I wont suggest a projection box or a microwave power beam, but there
are plenty of workable options.

Regards, NT
fred

In article , Kalico
writes
How about a pipe stiffener for mdpe in white nylon as is has the through
hole sleeving and a small diameter flange to finish the top surface. I've got
one for 25mm here which is a bit too small (20o/d, 17i/d), but one for
32mm pipe would prob do the job (guess 27o/d, 24i/d?). Plumbers'
merchant will prob have one offs. Doesn't meet your chrome finish spec,
but you could place a bright plated or stainless washer under the flange.
I've tried it here & it looks ok but is actually less obtrusive without the
washer. Or do some mfrs make their stiffeners in Ali?

Hope you can visualise the idea.

On that idea, why not shine up one of the inserts for Hep2O?
Rob

Sounds good, metal I see, are they stainless? I'm guessing 28mm pipe
size, 25mm i/d, metal insert with thinner wall than plastic prob 24mm i/d?
--
fred

Mike Dodd

"Set Square" wrote in message
[...]

These too large?

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...ct%5Fid=255157

Regards

Mike Dodd

Set Square

Mike Dodd wrote:

These too large?

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...ct%5Fid=255157

Regards

Mike Dodd

Thanks, but yes!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

chris French

In message , fred writes
In article , Kalico
writes
How about a pipe stiffener for mdpe in white nylon as is has the through
Hope you can visualise the idea.

On that idea, why not shine up one of the inserts for Hep2O?
Rob

Sounds good, metal I see, are they stainless?

Yes

--
Chris French, Leeds
Pete C

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:57:44 +0100, "Set Square"

Mike Dodd wrote:

These too large?

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...ct%5Fid=255157

Regards

Mike Dodd

Thanks, but yes!

Hi,

How about a chrome plated/stainless steel napkin ring? Or cut a
section off an old alloy bike handlebar or seat post with a pipe
cutter and sand and polish the cut end.

Might also be possible to cut the top off a metal candlestick holder
or use the bezel from a halogen micro downlighter.

cheers,
Pete.