John Miller

Default Installing an unusual new WC

I'm busy renovating my daughter's bathroom and she's chosen a swish
new close-coupled WC. Unlike anything I've ever seen before, the
base unit sides extend all the way to the rear, rather like a
back-to-the-wall unit used with a concealed cistern.

However, the downside to this is that all services are enclosed
within the unit, including the holes for the seat hinges!
Predictably, there are no manufacturer's instructions and even
though I will try to get these from the retailer, I would be
grateful for any help that I can get. It seems likely that the
water connection can be made with a longish flexi-hose before the
toilet is pushed into its final resting place, but I'm a bit worried
about getting a good seal on the soil pipe. Also, I can see no way
to check for leaks once the toilet is installed.

Anyone any experience of this type of WC?

John Miller

David

"John Miller" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds very similar to what I put in a couple of months ago, although we
didn't actually choose this model, the supplier had difficult soucing eth
other veriosn and offered this as an alternative... the wife definitely
prefers the neat look of it as well.

I made the connection to the soil pipe using a flexible connector. To be on
the safe side I slapped in some silicone sealant just before the final
fitting. the flexy connector was on and off a few times before this due to
tiling and flooring jobs, but did not leak anyway.

The supply to the cistern was actually made via a hole in the side of the
pan at teh rear of the unit, so this was simply a case of connecting the
pipe internally and running a length out through the hole which was then
connected up beside the toilet to the service valve.

The toilet seat that came with the pan connected via the top of the unit,
esentially it is held in place by a couple of rubber bungs, which expand as
a screw is tightened up from the top. As in your case we had no instructions
for the seat, etc, but I also had the wrong seat to start with, which was
quickly rectified by the shop, along with a new set of fixings. I would
imagine that this toilet should have a macthing seat with similar fixings
available.

cheers

David

John Miller

"David" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the reply. My WC pan doesn't have an access hole. I
'phoned the supplier today and was told that they don't do
instructions! Their stuff is mostly imported and the manufacturers
don't provide instructions. When I asked why they couldn't provide
them, I was told that all plumbers know how to fit these things.
They did tell me that the pan should be fitted using a flexible soil
pipe, presumably the same thing that you have used. I've not heard
of these previously, but I see that Screwfix sell them. I have great
doubts about introducing a curved, ribbed pipe into the soil pipe
system, so will try to manage without using one of these. I'd be
interested to know if anybody else has used one of these flexible
soil pipes. The shop assured me that they sell hundreds of these
back-to-the wall WCs and they have no reported problems with the
flexible pipes.

John Miller

David

"John Miller" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message

snip

[...]

I bought the flexible conecntor from B&Q but what screwfix shows here
is pretty much exactly what I have used with no problem at all. There is
only about 2 inches of the barbed end that you push into the soil pipe, and
provided the soil pipe is the correct/standard size it provides a good seal.

I would tend to recommend that you do give this a try, given that this is
pretty much exactly the job that it is designed to do.

cheers

David