Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default when?

when did a program become an app ?

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
when did a program become an app ?

After Win7 it seems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2020 18:04, Andrew wrote:
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
when did a program become an app ?

After Win7 it seems.

silly

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 18:31:57 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 08/07/2020 18:04, Andrew wrote:
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
when did a program become an app ?

After Win7 it seems.

silly

The language has been slaughtered.

A program tells a device how to run.

An application is when you stick your smartphone under a table leg
because the beer mat isn't thick enough.

Remember when "doing a shop" was something you could get arrested
for?

AB
From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

when did a program become an app ?

It's mainly smart phones and tablets have apps. Actually it's more
accurate as it distinguishes application programs from ones that form
part of the operating system or utilities like compilers.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2020 22:57, Max Demian wrote:
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

when did a program become an app ?

It's mainly smart phones and tablets have apps. Actually it's more
accurate as it distinguishes application programs from ones that form
part of the operating system or utilities like compilers.

Everything from the "Microsoft Store" that runs on a PC under Windoze 10
is labelled an App.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

when did a program become an app ?

With smartphones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2020 22:57, Max Demian wrote:
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

when did a program become an app ?

It's mainly smart phones and tablets have apps. Actually it's more
accurate as it distinguishes application programs from ones that form
part of the operating system or utilities like compilers.

There always was application programming and system programming...

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 08/07/2020 22:57, Max Demian wrote:
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

when did a program become an app ?

It's mainly smart phones and tablets have apps. Actually it's more
accurate as it distinguishes application programs from ones that form
part of the operating system or utilities like compilers.

Everything from the "Microsoft Store" that runs on a PC under Windoze 10
is labelled an App.

Thats a much more recent thing than the original use of the term app.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2020 23:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
when did a program become an app ?

With smartphones.

so I don't have any on my nokia 1100 then ? ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 08/07/2020 23:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
when did a program become an app ?

With smartphones.

so I don't have any on my nokia 1100 then ? ......

Or in the mustang either, you dinosaur.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2020 07:48, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 08/07/2020 23:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
when did a program become an app ?

With smartphones.

so I don't have any on my nokia 1100 then ? ......

Or in the mustang either, you dinosaur.

mustang has plenty of computer **** unfortunately.....

......Nokia 1100 was for me the pinnacle of cellphone design.....it is
very small you can sit on it ....it has a mono screen you can read in
the brightest sun shine....battery lasts forever ....you charge it with
a wired hand free in the car.... the ring is very loud....no touch
screen you can operate it without even looking.....perfect phone...don't
get me wrong I have plenty of androids for zello etc but I always go
back to my 1100...I don't follow the sheep
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 08/07/2020 23:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
when did a program become an app ?

With smartphones.

so I don't have any on my nokia 1100 then ? ......

cell phone

noun: cell phone

a phone with access to a cellular radio system so it can be
used over a wide area, without a physical connection to a
network; a mobile phone.

fea·ture phone

noun: feature phone

a mobile phone that incorporates features such as the ability
to access the Internet and store and play music but lacks
the advanced functionality of a smartphone.

smart·phone

noun: smart-phone

a mobile phone that performs many of the functions of a computer,
typically having a touchscreen interface, Internet access, and
an operating system capable of running downloaded applications.

*******

Now, compare the things your phone does, to those examples.

Yours is not a smart phone, and it's unlikely to connect to the
Google Store or the Apple Store, to acquire new Apps. The
Android OS is a mate for the Google Store.

Yours has an alarm clock and some sort of reminder thing.
Which is an example of a "firmware application", one that
is in the box from the start. They could put anything they
wanted in it that way, except it would need more Flash memory
to store all that stuff, and it would need more RAM for
complex functions like a web browser. That's where the Smart Phone
comes in. Some Smart Phones have 12GB of RAM, which is more than
some new desktop computers ship with. Nobody is quite sure
why those phones got 12GB - it's going to be mostly a waste.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_1100

One feature yours has got, is the phone can run for 400 hours
on one charge, during which time it's ready to receive
incoming calls. And that's pretty impressive. There are other
fancy devices, that they have to be charged every day and a half
to two days. Yours is like eight times better... at being a phone.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Who or What is Rod Speed?"

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 08:47:02 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
his particular prowess at it every day."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 08/07/2020 23:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
when did a program become an app ?

With smartphones.

so I don't have any on my nokia 1100 then ? ......

Or in the mustang either, you dinosaur.

mustang has plenty of computer **** unfortunately.....

.....Nokia 1100 was for me the pinnacle of cellphone design.....it is
very small you can sit on it ....it has a mono screen you can read in
the brightest sun shine....battery lasts forever ....you charge it with
a wired hand free in the car.... the ring is very loud....no touch
screen you can operate it without even looking.....perfect phone...don't
get me wrong I have plenty of androids for zello etc but I always go
back to my 1100...I don't follow the sheep

my '66 mustang was devoide of all computer crap ....

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

App is merely short for application and application seems to have become the
term back in the XP days, and personally, its a bit of a misnamed thing, but
then so is program or programme depending on where you are.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew" wrote in message
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
when did a program become an app ?

After Win7 it seems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TVs now have apps of course.
I'm sure in the future, even toasters will run apps. Alexa for example runs
apps but they run in the cloud and not on the device, which is why alexa is
dumb without an internet connection.
What I don't get is this. The Echo series can walk you through a set up by
using the voice prompts and an app on the phone, yet nobody has seemingly
bothered about putting a voice on the bios of a computer to help out have
they?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

when did a program become an app ?

It's mainly smart phones and tablets have apps. Actually it's more
accurate as it distinguishes application programs from ones that form part
of the operating system or utilities like compilers.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 16:48:29 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

when did a program become an app ?

It's mainly smart phones and tablets have apps. Actually it's more
accurate as it distinguishes application programs from ones that form
part of the operating system or utilities like compilers.

when I wanted to join a Zoom meeting yesterday on my PC, I was told to
download the 'App'.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 08:36:03 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

App is merely short for application and application seems to have become the
term back in the XP days, and personally, its a bit of a misnamed thing, but
then so is program or programme depending on where you are.
Brian

Near where "Full Stop" or "Period" became "dot"?
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2020 08:21, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 08/07/2020 23:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
when did a program become an app ?

With smartphones.

so I don't have any on my nokia 1100 then ? ......

cell phone

noun: cell phone

Â*Â*Â* a phone with access to a cellular radio system so it can be
Â*Â*Â* used over a wide area, without a physical connection to a
Â*Â*Â* network; a mobile phone.

fea·ture phone

noun: feature phone

Â*Â*Â* a mobile phone that incorporates features such as the ability
Â*Â*Â* to access the Internet and store and play music but lacks
Â*Â*Â* the advanced functionality of a smartphone.

smart·phone

noun: smart-phone

Â*Â*Â* a mobile phone that performs many of the functions of a computer,
Â*Â*Â* typically having a touchscreen interface, Internet access, and
Â*Â*Â* an operating system capable of running downloaded applications.

*******

[...]

Â*Â* Paul

I know great isn't it ? .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 08/07/2020 23:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
when did a program become an app ?

With smartphones.

so I don't have any on my nokia 1100 then ? ......

Or in the mustang either, you dinosaur.

mustang has plenty of computer **** unfortunately.....

But no apps.

.....Nokia 1100 was for me the pinnacle of cellphone design.....

Typical dinosaur.

it is very small you can sit on it ....

Not with your lard arse you cant.

it has a mono screen you can read in the brightest sun shine....
battery lasts forever ....

Bull**** it does.

you charge it with a wired hand free in the car....

You can with any smartphone.

the ring is very loud....

Bull**** it is.

no touch screen you can operate it without even looking.....

You can tell any decent smartphone what to do.

perfect phone...

Nope, now useless dinosaur.

don't get me wrong I have plenty of androids for zello etc but I always go
back to my 1100...

Because you are a dinosaur.

I don't follow the sheep

We have the video of you ****ing them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 08/07/2020 23:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
when did a program become an app ?

With smartphones.

so I don't have any on my nokia 1100 then ? ......

Or in the mustang either, you dinosaur.

mustang has plenty of computer **** unfortunately.....

.....Nokia 1100 was for me the pinnacle of cellphone design.....it is
very small you can sit on it ....it has a mono screen you can read in the
brightest sun shine....battery lasts forever ....you charge it with a
wired hand free in the car.... the ring is very loud....no touch screen
you can operate it without even looking.....perfect phone...don't get me
wrong I have plenty of androids for zello etc but I always go back to my
1100...I don't follow the sheep

my '66 mustang was devoide of all computer crap ....

And was a lot more farting around because it was.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
TVs now have apps of course.
I'm sure in the future, even toasters will run apps. Alexa for example
runs apps but they run in the cloud and not on the device, which is why
alexa is dumb without an internet connection.

What I don't get is this. The Echo series can walk you through a set up by
using the voice prompts and an app on the phone, yet nobody has seemingly
bothered about putting a voice on the bios of a computer to help out have
they?

Don’t need to when they work out of the box.

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

when did a program become an app ?

It's mainly smart phones and tablets have apps. Actually it's more
accurate as it distinguishes application programs from ones that form
part of the operating system or utilities like compilers.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) submitted this idea :
App is merely short for application and application seems to have become the
term back in the XP days, and personally, its a bit of a misnamed thing, but
then so is program or programme depending on where you are.

I first came across it for phones, for computers and other things, I
default to programs, firmware and software. Who updates their MS
Windows 10 App? Its a software update, just as it has always been.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Halmarack wrote :
Near where "Full Stop" or "Period" became "dot"?

The full stop became a dot, when email addresses were exchanged
verbally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... brought next idea :
no touch screen you can operate it without even looking.....perfect
phone...don't get me wrong I have plenty of androids for zello etc but I
always go back to my 1100...I don't follow the sheep

Working, driving and constant phone calls, I wouldn't welcome a touch
screen, but now - not trying to juggle driving and talking, I'm fine
with an Iphone and its touch screen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2020 09:10, charles wrote:
In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

when did a program become an app ?

It's mainly smart phones and tablets have apps. Actually it's more
accurate as it distinguishes application programs from ones that form
part of the operating system or utilities like compilers.

when I wanted to join a Zoom meeting yesterday on my PC, I was told to
download the 'App'.

Windows 8 brought "Apps". Only new to those moving from 7 to 10.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 19:51:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 19:48:57 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 19:43:53 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 17:46:43 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

when did a program become an app ?

When Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

when did a program become an app ?

It's mainly smart phones and tablets have apps. Actually it's more
accurate as it distinguishes application programs from ones that form
part of the operating system or utilities like compilers.

when I wanted to join a Zoom meeting yesterday on my PC, I was told to
download the 'App'.

Windows 8 brought "Apps". Only new to those moving from 7 to 10.

Acorn used apps long before either. Like near 40 years ago.

--
*I did a theatrical performance about puns. It was a play on words.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* Max Demian wrote:
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

when did a program become an app ?

It's mainly smart phones and tablets have apps. Actually it's more
accurate as it distinguishes application programs from ones that form
part of the operating system or utilities like compilers.

when I wanted to join a Zoom meeting yesterday on my PC, I was told to
download the 'App'.

Windows 8 brought "Apps".Â* Only new to those moving from 7 to 10.

I bought a brand new windows 8.1 laptop and it was like getting into
your car and finding all the controls moved around and when you do start
to drive it all the road signs have been changed......sold it

https://www.avg.com