Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default when?

On 09/07/2020 13:55, Robin wrote:
On 09/07/2020 09:10, charles wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Max Demian wrote:
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

when did a program become an app ?

It's mainly smart phones and tablets have apps. Actually it's more
accurate as it distinguishes application programs from ones that form
part of the operating system or utilities like compilers.

when I wanted to join a Zoom meeting yesterday on my PC, I was told to
download the 'App'.

Windows 8 brought "Apps".Â* Only new to those moving from 7 to 10.

I bought a brand new windows 8.1 laptop and it was like getting into
your car and finding all the controls moved around and when you do start
to drive it all the road signs have been changed......sold it

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Max Demian wrote:
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

when did a program become an app ?

It's mainly smart phones and tablets have apps. Actually it's more
accurate as it distinguishes application programs from ones that form
part of the operating system or utilities like compilers.

when I wanted to join a Zoom meeting yesterday on my PC, I was told to
download the 'App'.

Windows 8 brought "Apps". Only new to those moving from 7 to 10.

Acorn used apps long before either. Like near 40 years ago.

On my bookshelf: Acorn Applications Guide ©1990

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Max Demian wrote:
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

when did a program become an app ?

It's mainly smart phones and tablets have apps. Actually it's
more accurate as it distinguishes application programs from ones
that form part of the operating system or utilities like
compilers.

when I wanted to join a Zoom meeting yesterday on my PC, I was
told to download the 'App'.

Windows 8 brought "Apps". Only new to those moving from 7 to 10.

Acorn used apps long before either. Like near 40 years ago.

On my bookshelf: Acorn Applications Guide ©1990

Think the name came in with RISCOS 3 - late 80s?

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 16:25:33 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq"
wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 18:31:57 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 08/07/2020 18:04, Andrew wrote:
On 08/07/2020 17:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
when did a program become an app ?

After Win7 it seems.
silly

The language has been slaughtered.

A program tells a device how to run.

An application is when you stick your smartphone under a table leg
because the beer mat isn't thick enough.

Remember when "doing a shop" was something you could get arrested
for?

Um

No?

You never watched "Z" cars then.

AB
From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." writes:

when did a program become an app ?

From the Free On-Line Dictionary of Computing:

http://foldoc.org/app

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2020 17:46:43, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
when did a program become an app ?

To my knowledge they have always been apps on Android. BICBW

When Microsoft brought out a Windows for phones they morphed the
terminology to Apps where user already had familiarity with 'apps'.

Since Microsoft got out of the phone business it was all a bit pointless.