Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rechargeable AA batteries - choice of chemistry? HR6.

Had to resort to Wikipedia to find out how to determine the battery
chemistry of rechargeable batteries!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AA_battery#Rechargeable_cells

You would think that the packaging would indicate this, but you have to
know the nR6 code.

Anyway, I now know that HR6 are NiMH not NiCD.

Why is it so hard?

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

I now know that HR6 are NiMH not NiCD.

NiCd batteries shouldn't be on sale to "consumers"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 11:55, David wrote:
Had to resort to Wikipedia to find out how to determine the battery
chemistry of rechargeable batteries!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AA_battery#Rechargeable_cells

You would think that the packaging would indicate this, but you have to
know the nR6 code.

Anyway, I now know that HR6 are NiMH not NiCD.

Why is it so hard?

Dave R

I was recently looking for 10 aa nicads but couldn't find any........

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 12:37:31 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 07/07/2020 11:55, David wrote:
Had to resort to Wikipedia to find out how to determine the battery
chemistry of rechargeable batteries!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AA_battery#Rechargeable_cells

You would think that the packaging would indicate this, but you have to
know the nR6 code.

Anyway, I now know that HR6 are NiMH not NiCD.

Why is it so hard?

Dave R

I was recently looking for 10 aa nicads but couldn't find any........

I can't think of any reason to buy NiCd now.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 14:40, Jethro_uk wrote:
I gave up with rechargeable standard batteries ages ago. I have spent far
more on them than I ever would on disposables.

and they are always flat when you need them....alkalines are best....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 16:23:48 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 16:33:57 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

On 07/07/2020 14:40, Jethro_uk wrote:
I gave up with rechargeable standard batteries ages ago. I have spent
far more on them than I ever would on disposables.

and they are always flat when you need them....alkalines are best....

It might be a charger thing. Going back mumble years the chargers
weren't "intelligent" and so you had to remove the cells once charged.

Cue "intelligent" chargers which (supposedly) cut off when a cell is
charged. But then (as you say) you go to your drawer for a recharged
cell ... and it's flat.

Finally you plug the cells into the charger and it insists one is faulty
(despite only being used 10 maybe 15 times).

meanwhile, buying the odd pack of own brand disposables ... less hassle,
less cost.

Panasonic/Eneloop and Fujitsu are good. Hold a charge for 12 months+.
My electric toothbrush will go a month on disposable AA cells but gets
increasingly feeble, so needs 2 lots a month. The rechargeable do a month
easily.
I keep an old 'dumb' charger for when the too-clever-for-its-own-good one
balks - 5 min. dumb and clever will then work.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 17:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 16:33:57 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

On 07/07/2020 14:40, Jethro_uk wrote:
I gave up with rechargeable standard batteries ages ago. I have spent
far more on them than I ever would on disposables.

and they are always flat when you need them....alkalines are best....

It might be a charger thing. Going back mumble years the chargers
weren't "intelligent" and so you had to remove the cells once charged.

Cue "intelligent" chargers which (supposedly) cut off when a cell is
charged. But then (as you say) you go to your drawer for a recharged
cell ... and it's flat.

Finally you plug the cells into the charger and it insists one is faulty
(despite only being used 10 maybe 15 times).

meanwhile, buying the odd pack of own brand disposables ... less hassle,
less cost.

Buy modern AA NiMH rechargeable batteries with a long charged shelf life.

Some of the best I have ever had are IKEA's own brand LADDA 2450mAh NiMH
AA cells and their cheap as chips VINNINGE USB dual charger.

The charger plugs into standard USB port and is only 220mA charge
current per AA cell. It's not quick but is intelligent and it doesn't
boil the bejesus out of the cells. I have a quick intelligent charger
that has buggered quite a few cells.

The IKEA cells do have a capacity around the claimed level and I have
some charged last January that are still ready to go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 17:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 16:33:57 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

On 07/07/2020 14:40, Jethro_uk wrote:
I gave up with rechargeable standard batteries ages ago. I have spent
far more on them than I ever would on disposables.

and they are always flat when you need them....alkalines are best....

It might be a charger thing. Going back mumble years the chargers
weren't "intelligent" and so you had to remove the cells once charged.

Cue "intelligent" chargers which (supposedly) cut off when a cell is
charged. But then (as you say) you go to your drawer for a recharged
cell ... and it's flat.

Finally you plug the cells into the charger and it insists one is faulty
(despite only being used 10 maybe 15 times).

meanwhile, buying the odd pack of own brand disposables ... less hassle,
less cost.

indeed..only good place for a rechargable is a mobile phone....

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 17:46, mm0fmf wrote:
VINNINGE USB dual charger.

some bloody price ...

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 17:57, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

and an electric toothbrush

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 17:59, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 07/07/2020 17:46, mm0fmf wrote:
VINNINGE USB dual charger.

some bloody price ...

made in bloody china ....

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 16:32:47 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 07/07/2020 15:29, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 12:37:31 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 07/07/2020 11:55, David wrote:

Had to resort to Wikipedia to find out how to determine the battery
chemistry of rechargeable batteries!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AA_battery#Rechargeable_cells

You would think that the packaging would indicate this, but you have to
know the nR6 code.

Anyway, I now know that HR6 are NiMH not NiCD.

Why is it so hard?

Dave R

I was recently looking for 10 aa nicads but couldn't find any........

I can't think of any reason to buy NiCd now.

NT

can I just use my nicad charger then ? ...

if it's a 14hr slow charger yes

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 23:17:21 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 16:32:47 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 07/07/2020 15:29, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 12:37:31 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 07/07/2020 11:55, David wrote:

Had to resort to Wikipedia to find out how to determine the battery
chemistry of rechargeable batteries!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AA_battery#Rechargeable_cells

You would think that the packaging would indicate this, but you have to
know the nR6 code.

Anyway, I now know that HR6 are NiMH not NiCD.

Why is it so hard?

Dave R

I was recently looking for 10 aa nicads but couldn't find any........

I can't think of any reason to buy NiCd now.

NT

can I just use my nicad charger then ? ...

if it's a 14hr slow charger yes

NT

NiMHs aren't as robust re overcharging, but I have stuck NiMH in NiCd circuits and not experienced significant problems.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 17:46:14 +0100, mm0fmf wrote:

[...]

I found that a lot of NiMH cells are a smidgeon bigger than Eneloop etc. In
some applications they are just a bit too big to go in easily; in some cheap
torches that take 3 AAA cells the cluster is a tight fit in and a near
hammer job to get out.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not? I have actually seen them as battery packs though, but not singly.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
David wrote:

I now know that HR6 are NiMH not NiCD.

NiCd batteries shouldn't be on sale to "consumers"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
NiCd batteries shouldn't be on sale to "consumers"

Why not?

EU Directive 2006/66

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
NiCd batteries shouldn't be on sale to "consumers"

Why not?

EU Directive 2006/66

I mamged to buy some from CPC at the end of last year to replace ones in
our village hall (19 year old) emergency lights. If I hadn't been able to,
I'd have had to replace 3 fittings and 4 matching non-emergency ones.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

NiCd batteries shouldn't be on sale to "consumers"

Why not?

EU Directive 2006/66

I mamged to buy some from CPC at the end of last year to replace ones in
our village hall (19 year old) emergency lights.

Of course RS and similar sell them, but that isn't considered "consumer"

If I hadn't been able to,
I'd have had to replace 3 fittings and 4 matching non-emergency ones.

Entire LED emergency lights are only a couple of quid more than the
replacement NiCd battery packs ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
charles wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

NiCd batteries shouldn't be on sale to "consumers"

Why not?

EU Directive 2006/66

I mamged to buy some from CPC at the end of last year to replace ones in
our village hall (19 year old) emergency lights.

Of course RS and similar sell them, but that isn't considered "consumer"

If I hadn't been able to,
I'd have had to replace 3 fittings and 4 matching non-emergency ones.

Entire LED emergency lights are only a couple of quid more than the
replacement NiCd battery packs ...

These weren't just emergency lights - which I agree can be very cheap.
These were nice looking fittings, some of which also contained an emergency
facility.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 July 2020 09:12:48 UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Alkaline if used a bit then charged a bit can be made to last an awfully
long time.
Brian

That's not been my experience. Charging with the usual hour on hour off routine has resulted in some that are good, but many that are majorly substandard.

NT