Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Rechargeable AA batteries - choice of chemistry? HR6.

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 17:46:14 +0100, mm0fmf wrote:

On 07/07/2020 17:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 16:33:57 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

On 07/07/2020 14:40, Jethro_uk wrote:
I gave up with rechargeable standard batteries ages ago. I have spent
far more on them than I ever would on disposables.

and they are always flat when you need them....alkalines are best....

It might be a charger thing. Going back mumble years the chargers
weren't "intelligent" and so you had to remove the cells once charged.

Cue "intelligent" chargers which (supposedly) cut off when a cell is
charged. But then (as you say) you go to your drawer for a recharged
cell ... and it's flat.

Finally you plug the cells into the charger and it insists one is faulty
(despite only being used 10 maybe 15 times).

meanwhile, buying the odd pack of own brand disposables ... less hassle,
less cost.

Buy modern AA NiMH rechargeable batteries with a long charged shelf life.

Some of the best I have ever had are IKEA's own brand LADDA 2450mAh NiMH
AA cells and their cheap as chips VINNINGE USB dual charger.

The charger plugs into standard USB port and is only 220mA charge
current per AA cell. It's not quick but is intelligent and it doesn't
boil the bejesus out of the cells. I have a quick intelligent charger
that has buggered quite a few cells.

The IKEA cells do have a capacity around the claimed level and I have
some charged last January that are still ready to go.

I found that a lot of NiMH cells are a smidgeon bigger than Eneloop etc. In
some applications they are just a bit too big to go in easily; in some cheap
torches that take 3 AAA cells the cluster is a tight fit in and a near
hammer job to get out.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away