Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 8mm propane gas pipe - quick release connectors - 90 degrees?

Coming back to this after over a year.
Our caravan has an external BBQ point which (for presumably good reasons)
points vertically down in a recess in the side of the van.
There isn't a lot of room to get an 8mm rubber hose with the male
connector into the available space and it is a bit of a bendy fit.

Connector is like
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/333524493983?

Now wouldn't it be nice if the male bit had a 90 degree bend at the end to
allow it to clip in but the pipe to not foul the fitting.

Seems a reasonable approach, but can I find 90 degree bend male fittings?

Anyone know of a source for such a thing?

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2020 17:35, David wrote:
Coming back to this after over a year.
Our caravan has an external BBQ point which (for presumably good reasons)
points vertically down in a recess in the side of the van.
There isn't a lot of room to get an 8mm rubber hose with the male
connector into the available space and it is a bit of a bendy fit.

Connector is like
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/333524493983?

Now wouldn't it be nice if the male bit had a 90 degree bend at the end to
allow it to clip in but the pipe to not foul the fitting.

Seems a reasonable approach, but can I find 90 degree bend male fittings?

Anyone know of a source for such a thing?

Cheers

Dave R

Can't you do "adaptor to BSP" and "hose connector to BSP" and then a BSP
elbow to connect them? Just did something vaguely similar (but
straight), iirc I got all the bits from eBay.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No guarantees, but you could try www.bes.co.uk They stock lots of parts.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Jul 2020 21:28:38 +0100, newshound wrote:

[...]

Given the minimal amount of room, I don't think that anything more than a
metal piece with a quick release male on one end and a hose fitting on the
other and a right angle bend in the middle will solve the problem.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Seconded for BES Ltd.or try a caravan spares supplier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2020 20:00, David wrote:
[...]

OK. The male pieces usually seem to be chromed, but I am not sure if
they are brass or steel. Probably the latter. If brass I'd think about
boring out the non-coupling end, getting a bit of 6mm or 8mm microbore
copper tube, bending to 90 degrees (fill with sand to get a tight bend
without flattening tube) then soft solder to the male piece and to a
hose connector (which you can definitely get in brass). But if the male
piece is steel, you couldn't do the same thing with silver solder
because that would kill the chrome.

If you are good at silver soldering, perhaps you could get a straight
brass fitting that will screw into the male coupling, then bevel it, and
make a matching part to screw into the hose fitting. Then silver solder
the two bevelled parts together before finally assembling. All easier to
do if you have access to a lathe and suitable taps and/or dies.