Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Abuse of vernier caliper

https://www.facebook.com/punjabkesar...6400585548559/

But it does show pretty good mastery of the angle grinder.

(For Brian's benefit, it shows how to make a DIY "multitool" saw from an
angle grinder. Just using an angle grinder, stick welder, vice, and a
couple of spanners with a little help from a dremel)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/punjabkesar...6400585548559/

facebook pointing to bitly pointing to youtube, direct link for anyone
(else) who block social media scripts

https://youtu.be/kHsBiimGwZw
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2020 20:22, newshound wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/punjabkesar...6400585548559/

But it does show pretty good mastery of the angle grinder.

(For Brian's benefit, it shows how to make a DIY "multitool" saw from an
angle grinder. Just using an angle grinder, stick welder, vice, and a
couple of spanners with a little help from a dremel)

I'm always waiting in these DIY videos for the industrial CNC machine
with plasma cutter all the Americans who post on Youtube seen to have in
their man sheds. The videos are often titled How to make X, Y or Z for
$2.5 (but needing many ten of thousands of dollars in tools to do so).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 8:22:28 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/punjabkesar...6400585548559/

But it does show pretty good mastery of the angle grinder.

(For Brian's benefit, it shows how to make a DIY "multitool" saw from an
angle grinder. Just using an angle grinder, stick welder, vice, and a
couple of spanners with a little help from a dremel)

I quite like the project, but yeah, ouch! at the abuse of the digital calipers...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jkn" wrote in message
On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 8:22:28 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/punjabkesar...6400585548559/

But it does show pretty good mastery of the angle grinder.

(For Brian's benefit, it shows how to make a DIY "multitool" saw from an
angle grinder. Just using an angle grinder, stick welder, vice, and a
couple of spanners with a little help from a dremel)

I quite like the project, but yeah, ouch! at the abuse of the digital
calipers...

For Brian, the abuse of the callipers was in using them to scratch "cut
here" marks on the work, after using them properly to measure the
appropriate distance. He did this on several occasions. It's as bad as using
a micrometer as a miniature G-clamp ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2020 09:20, NY wrote:
"jkn" wrote in message
On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 8:22:28 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/punjabkesar...6400585548559/

But it does show pretty good mastery of the angle grinder.

(For Brian's benefit, it shows how to make a DIY "multitool" saw from an
angle grinder. Just using an angle grinder, stick welder, vice, and a
couple of spanners with a little help from a dremel)

I quite like the project, but yeah, ouch! at the abuse of the digital
calipers...

For Brian, the abuse of the callipers was in using them to scratch "cut
here" marks on the work, after using them properly to measure the
appropriate distance. He did this on several occasions. It's as bad as
using a micrometer as a miniature G-clamp ;-)

In reality you can buy budget digital calipers for under a tenner these
days - not precision instruments, but they do have hardened jaws!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2020 21:59, alan_m wrote:
On 29/06/2020 20:22, newshound wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/punjabkesar...6400585548559/

But it does show pretty good mastery of the angle grinder.

(For Brian's benefit, it shows how to make a DIY "multitool" saw from
an angle grinder. Just using an angle grinder, stick welder, vice, and
a couple of spanners with a little help from a dremel)

I'm always waiting in these DIY videos for the industrial CNC machine
with plasma cutter all the Americans who post on Youtube seen to have in
their man sheds. The videos are often titled How to make X, Y or Z for
$2.5 (but needing many ten of thousands of dollars in tools to do so).

If you have a popular youtube channel, then the marketing departments of
many high end tool vendors will normally be happy to "sponsor" you. :-)

Having said that - lack of CNC means the project will take longer and
require more work, not that you can't do it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2020 21:59, alan_m wrote:
On 29/06/2020 20:22, newshound wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/punjabkesar...6400585548559/

But it does show pretty good mastery of the angle grinder.

(For Brian's benefit, it shows how to make a DIY "multitool" saw from
an angle grinder. Just using an angle grinder, stick welder, vice, and
a couple of spanners with a little help from a dremel)

I'm always waiting in these DIY videos for the industrial CNC machine
with plasma cutter all the Americans who post on Youtube seen to have in
their man sheds. The videos are often titled How to make X, Y or Z for
$2.5 (but needing many ten of thousands of dollars in tools to do so).

This was sort of the direct opposite of that. Very few tools but a lot
of man-hours to make something that most of us in the more civilised
world would consider to have a trivial cost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2020 19:55, newshound wrote:
[...]

Having said that - the performance of his was quite impressive. Probably
not surprising given the AG starts with 3 to 4 times the power, and he
has a wider arc of rotation than the normal tools.

(vibration may be less pleasant though)

--
Cheers,

John.

vernier-caliper alan_m UK diy 4 September 7th 19 01:35 PM
Thumbscrew for Helios vernier caliper sought Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 10 October 29th 12 12:19 AM
Digital vernier caliper @ Aldi on Sunday The Medway Handyman UK diy 35 February 19th 11 08:51 PM
Vernier caliper accuracy Christopher Tidy Metalworking 69 March 18th 10 12:42 AM
Vernier Caliper carlDOTwest Metalworking 20 July 20th 04 03:47 PM