Posted to uk.d-i-y
alo alo is offline

Default Small water pump powered by hand drill

Hello...

I have a small water pump that I can attach to a hand drill.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-Ex.../dp/B002CSM85S

After a period of inactivity measuring in years, I have tested the
pump again.

It briefly worked, but then stopped pumping. The steel shaft fitting
into the (rubber?) paddle inside the housing has become detached.

The shaft now rotates freely.

I shall attempt to repair it, but what adhesive should I use to bond
the shaft to the paddle? I assume the bond will be under lots of
pressure if the pump starts to work again.

Thanks....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alo formulated on Saturday :
The shaft now rotates freely.

I shall attempt to repair it, but what adhesive should I use to bond
the shaft to the paddle? I assume the bond will be under lots of
pressure if the pump starts to work again.

Cheaper to buy a new one, than waste time trying to repair. Look in the
pound shops or on ebay.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
alo alo is offline

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 11:18:18 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

alo formulated on Saturday :
The shaft now rotates freely.

I shall attempt to repair it, but what adhesive should I use to bond
the shaft to the paddle? I assume the bond will be under lots of
pressure if the pump starts to work again.

Cheaper to buy a new one, than waste time trying to repair. Look in the
pound shops or on ebay.

Thank you Harry...

But I want to attempt a repair first (that's why I asked about
adhesive)..

My time is there to waste...my pump to repair...and your promotion of
'pound shops' noted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alo wrote:
Hello...

I have a small water pump that I can attach to a hand drill.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-Ex.../dp/B002CSM85S

After a period of inactivity measuring in years, I have tested the
pump again.

It briefly worked, but then stopped pumping. The steel shaft fitting
into the (rubber?) paddle inside the housing has become detached.

The shaft now rotates freely.

I shall attempt to repair it, but what adhesive should I use to bond
the shaft to the paddle? I assume the bond will be under lots of
pressure if the pump starts to work again.

Thanks....

Check for a cotter pin or similar ?

Glue would not hold a thing like that.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y
alo alo is offline

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 07:19:22 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Check for a cotter pin or similar ?

Glue would not hold a thing like that.

Paul

------------------------

You are provably right... though it was obviously bonded to the shaft
when it was made, as there is no cotter pin in the construction. Maybe
a press fit when it was put together.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 10:50:56 +0100, alo wrote:

I shall attempt to repair it, but what adhesive should I use to bond
the shaft to the paddle? I assume the bond will be under lots of
pressure if the pump starts to work again.

Shear not pressure. I doubt any glue will be up to the job unless the
shaft is already knurled or can be make rough. If the shaft is
already knurled the free spinning has probably opened up the hole in
the paddle too much.

Think I'd find something to use as a pin right through the whole lot.
Maybe a bit of 2.5 mm copper wire in a snug hole and the ends bent
over to hold it in place.

And yes, I agree. My time, is my time to spend how I want. Fixing
something gives a nice feeling of satisfaction. Even more so when the
fix is quick and simple.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2020 11:30, alo wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 11:18:18 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

alo formulated on Saturday :
The shaft now rotates freely.

I shall attempt to repair it, but what adhesive should I use to bond
the shaft to the paddle? I assume the bond will be under lots of
pressure if the pump starts to work again.

Cheaper to buy a new one, than waste time trying to repair. Look in the
pound shops or on ebay.

Thank you Harry...

But I want to attempt a repair first (that's why I asked about
adhesive)..

My time is there to waste...my pump to repair...and your promotion of
'pound shops' noted.

If the rotor is rubber, then a "rubber solution" type adhesive, I'd
suggest evo stik contact adhesive. However, if the rotor is no longer a
good fit either because of wear or perishing, then something more
gap-filling. Perhaps Shoe Goo? Clean surfaces of rust etc first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The normal failure mode is that the rotor, which is like a series of paddles
and flexible goes hard over time and thus will not grip the normally
splined or similar shaft. I think only a new pump will fix it since even if
you did rebond it, the bendy plastic it relies on for the vanes will also
be brittle which may well be why it stopped in the first place. Also always
stretch some kind of mesh over the intake to those things, they do not like
bits in the water very much.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alo" wrote in message
Hello...

I have a small water pump that I can attach to a hand drill.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-Ex.../dp/B002CSM85S

After a period of inactivity measuring in years, I have tested the
pump again.

It briefly worked, but then stopped pumping. The steel shaft fitting
into the (rubber?) paddle inside the housing has become detached.

The shaft now rotates freely.

I shall attempt to repair it, but what adhesive should I use to bond
the shaft to the paddle? I assume the bond will be under lots of
pressure if the pump starts to work again.

Thanks....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 10:50:56 +0100, alo wrote:

Hello...

I have a small water pump that I can attach to a hand drill.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-Ex.../dp/B002CSM85S

After a period of inactivity measuring in years, I have tested the
pump again.

It briefly worked, but then stopped pumping. The steel shaft fitting
into the (rubber?) paddle inside the housing has become detached.

The shaft now rotates freely.

I shall attempt to repair it, but what adhesive should I use to bond
the shaft to the paddle? I assume the bond will be under lots of
pressure if the pump starts to work again.

Thanks....

Can you even get it apart (non destructively) to re bond the shaft to
the paddle?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
alo alo is offline

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 16:44:25 +0100, Davidm
wrote:

..

Thanks....

Can you even get it apart (non destructively) to re bond the shaft to
the paddle?

-------------------------------------

Yes the steel shaft comes out of the paddle, so getting a bonding
agent to shaft and paddle will be no problem.

I will give it a go with some two part impact adhesive, if it works
great.... if it doesn't then its time to dump the pump.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y
alo alo is offline

wrote:

.

Thanks....

Can you even get it apart (non destructively) to re bond the shaft to
the paddle?

I will give it a go with some two part impact adhesive, if it works
great.... if it doesn't then its time to dump the pump.

The two part impact adhesive worked the ancient pump is pumping water
again...the shaft stayed attached to the paddle.

Though I wouldn't be confident in a sinking boat with this pump as my
only way of removing water.