Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2.4m worktops?

When did they start being a thing?

Epic fail yesterday when I got back to work from B&Q with 2 worktops,
one needed to be 3m, the other 2.6!

I should have spotted it really, but they're a fair bit taller than me
and i've never seen that size before.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2020 09:52, R D S wrote:
When did they start being a thing?

Someone else only wanted a 600mm worktop so they cut down 3m length and
put the left over back on the shelf?

I thought they came as standard 2m and 3m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2020 09:58, alan_m wrote:
On 23/06/2020 09:52, R D S wrote:
When did they start being a thing?

Someone else only wanted a 600mm worktop so they cut down 3m length and
put the left over back on the shelf?

I thought they came as standard 2m and 3m

No, They had loads in different styles.

They were next to some larger ones, which I assumed were a new *bigger*
size. Idiot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
When did they start being a thing?

Epic fail yesterday when I got back to work from B&Q with 2 worktops,
one needed to be 3m, the other 2.6!

I should have spotted it really, but they're a fair bit taller than me
and i've never seen that size before.

B&Q hardly seem to do anything over 2.4m. I guess theyve found that
DIYers rarely have the ability to transport things longer than that.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2020 10:48, Tim+ wrote:
R D S wrote:
When did they start being a thing?

Epic fail yesterday when I got back to work from B&Q with 2 worktops,
one needed to be 3m, the other 2.6!

I should have spotted it really, but they're a fair bit taller than me
and i've never seen that size before.

B&Q hardly seem to do anything over 2.4m. I guess theyve found that
DIYers rarely have the ability to transport things longer than that.

Tim

Or carry them. They're pretty hefty things to move.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
R D S wrote:
When did they start being a thing?

Epic fail yesterday when I got back to work from B&Q with 2 worktops,
one needed to be 3m, the other 2.6!

I should have spotted it really, but they're a fair bit taller than me
and i've never seen that size before.

B&Q hardly seem to do anything over 2.4m. I guess theyve found that
DIYers rarely have the ability to transport things longer than that.

OTOH

many kitchens require such a length and the transport problem just has to be
overcome

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 23/06/2020 10:48, Tim+ wrote:
R D S wrote:
When did they start being a thing?

Epic fail yesterday when I got back to work from B&Q with 2 worktops,
one needed to be 3m, the other 2.6!

I should have spotted it really, but they're a fair bit taller than me
and i've never seen that size before.

B&Q hardly seem to do anything over 2.4m. I guess they‘ve found that
DIYers rarely have the ability to transport things longer than that.

Tim

Or carry them. They're pretty hefty things to move.

perhaps the safety elf's been at work

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2020 11:21, tim... wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message

R D S wrote:
When did they start being a thing?

Epic fail yesterday when I got back to work from B&Q with 2 worktops,
one needed to be 3m, the other 2.6!

I should have spotted it really, but they're a fair bit taller than me
and i've never seen that size before.

B&Q hardly seem to do anything over 2.4m.Â* I guess theyve found that
DIYers rarely have the ability to transport things longer than that.

OTOH

many kitchens require such a length and the transport problem just has
to be overcome

tim

Homebase seem to have plenty of 3-metre work tops.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/our-range...inate-worktops
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

B&Q hardly seem to do anything over 2.4m.

their delivery option sends out 3m ones

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 09:52:13 +0100, R D S wrote:

When did they start being a thing?

Epic fail yesterday when I got back to work from B&Q with 2 worktops,
one needed to be 3m, the other 2.6!

I should have spotted it really, but they're a fair bit taller than me
and i've never seen that size before.

I thought you made an error in ordering and got 2.4 million of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2020 09:52, R D S wrote:
When did they start being a thing?

Epic fail yesterday when I got back to work from B&Q with 2 worktops,
one needed to be 3m, the other 2.6!

I should have spotted it really, but they're a fair bit taller than me
and i've never seen that size before.

As I recall, you could always buy 3m and 2m lengths previously from B&Q
etc - although I've not bought any for (perhaps) 20 years. However, I
think they were a 'generous' 2 and 3m to allow for damage at the ends.

Oddly, I need a 2m bit now and checked B&Q only to find, not only do
they only seem to do 3m ones but they prices are much higher (it is for
a workbench not a kitchen etc so I don't what anything flash). Getting
3m home is more a bit involved- I could use my trailer but 2m will fit
in the car.

Fortunately, I remembered I'd kept a bit and stored it in the loft*- it
is over 2m long - I must have needed a short bit when I rearranged the
kitchen when we first bought the house- I replaced the worktops and
rearranged the units etc pending a full replacement later as we didn't
like the gas oven etc.

*How Senior Management and I got it in the loft is a mystery, Besides
the weight, the access it darn tight. At the time I didn't have a hefty
son-in-law to help. Thankfully, I see Boris has announced further
changes to the 'lockdown' so I will get son-in-law to help get the beast
out of the loft.

--

https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact...an-trafficking
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S Wrote in message:
When did they start being a thing?

Epic fail yesterday when I got back to work from B&Q with 2 worktops,
one needed to be 3m, the other 2.6!

I should have spotted it really, but they're a fair bit taller than me
and i've never seen that size before.

Measure twice, buy once (initially at least)...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Strange that. Maybe they had some odd ones left over. If you ordered what
you did not get then they should replace them.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"R D S" wrote in message
When did they start being a thing?

Epic fail yesterday when I got back to work from B&Q with 2 worktops, one
needed to be 3m, the other 2.6!

I should have spotted it really, but they're a fair bit taller than me and
i've never seen that size before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2020 13:16, Brian Reay wrote:

Oddly, I need a 2m bit now and checked B&Q only to find, not only do
they only seem to do 3m ones but they prices are much higher

That's half the reason I was caught out.
I'm sure the price was more than I usually pay for 3m.

Anyway, Wickes do half decent 2m lengths if that's what you're after,
not as cheap as B&Q and limited colours but somewhat better quality.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2020 09:52, R D S wrote:
When did they start being a thing?..

I suspect that 8ft lengths long predate 3m and 4m lengths.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2020 13:22, Jimk wrote:
R D S Wrote in message:
When did they start being a thing?

Epic fail yesterday when I got back to work from B&Q with 2 worktops,
one needed to be 3m, the other 2.6!

I should have spotted it really, but they're a fair bit taller than me
and i've never seen that size before.

Measure twice, buy once (initially at least)...

Buy cheap, buy twice :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 23 June 2020 20:22:07 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 23/06/2020 13:22, Jimk wrote:
R D S Wrote in message:

Measure twice, buy once (initially at least)...

Buy cheap, buy twice :-(

If a fitted kitchen lasts 20 years, age 20-80 is 3 fitted kitchens. For silly folks that replace theirs each decade it's 6. Just think, you could save money AND have a kitchen designed 60 years ago.

2 places I stayed at still had their mostly 1800s kitchens. One still had the shallow stone sink.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2020 13:22, Jimk wrote:
R D S Wrote in message:

Measure twice, buy once (initially at least)...

Buy cheap, buy twice :-(

If a fitted kitchen lasts 20 years, age 20-80 is 3 fitted kitchens. For
silly folks that replace theirs each decade it's 6. Just think, you could
save money AND have a kitchen designed 60 years ago.

I installed our kitchen in 1988. It's doing pretty well, but the electrical
appliances have been replaced, apart from the hob unit. That had one
element replaced .

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Kitchen paint and shiny worktops Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 4 January 26th 04 03:05 PM
Kitchen Worktops London Clive Long,UK UK diy 4 December 3rd 03 11:22 AM
Granite worktops: any advice please? JB UK diy 48 December 3rd 03 09:12 AM
Wooden worktops Jon Brooke UK diy 10 October 3rd 03 01:07 AM
Stone worktops in kitchens Seamus Mc Loughlin UK diy 12 October 1st 03 07:20 AM